iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Weather 2023

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2023, 01:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

34° and about an inch of wet snow last night. It rained too.
High 40's today. 
Wind is supposed to blow too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

24F here now, snowed all night. Suppose to warm and get freezing rain and rain later.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

Spring like snow event overnight. Heavy , wet and fog at the end.
Shedding some roof ice with a couple days partly sunny near 40*. 

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Still 24F and the freezing rain moved in. I did get that 4-5" of snow off before that hit.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

6C right now and the weather forecast says above freezing during the day for the next two weeks. Looks like winter is pretty much over, it didn't amount to much. I'm worried about the water supply this summer if we don't get more snow, we don't need another prolonged heat wave and fire season.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

26F here, the freezing rain didn't amount to much. Snow now.

Old Greenhorn

This is the weirdest 'winter' I can remember in a long time and it seems to be hard on everyone. Loggers can't get in and cut during their prime season, nobody can really adjust physically, too dry some places, too much rain in others on ground that was frozen lightly a few days before, it's a mess. I am thinking about holding back some of my tax money until they get this fixed. ;D
 It was only mid 30's here most of the day hitting 41 at 3pm. I was in the woods around noon cutting mushroom logs and taking some fairly nice trees with a few saw logs on them besides, also there was firewood in there. So, multi-tasking as the kids would say. :D I had on a long sleeve t-shirt, a hickory work shirt, a sweatshirt, and a light jacket over that. I also had a stretch hat as a hard hat liner. The jacket came off after the first tree and I opened up the sweatshirt soon after that. I took off the stretch hat too. Everything was soaked when I took it off. My skid steer operator, on the other hand was trying to stay warm and actually grabbed my saw to drop a tree and limb it to warm himself up. ;D In the woods you could be picking your way across an ice section then drop into a water hole 6" deep. I expect that in December, not mid-February. I really feel for all the folks with full operations and all that equipment just sitting. For tiny little me, it's just a matter of harder walking and working, for the other folks it means a whole lot worse and I think about that a lot. The next couple of days it will be up over 40 again. Guess I should grab a few more trees. The bark seems to be holding tight and that is critical for mushrooms but it just never really got cold expect for the 10 below we got last Saturday, then 40 the next day.
 Geez I dunno.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ianab

Dull grey high overcast day here. An ex tropical cyclone is incoming, although it's set to mostly hit the North and East of the Island. Just some wind and a bit of rain forecast for us. The folks in the Nth / East haven't fully cleaned up from the last storm a few weeks back, and they are going to take the brunt of this one. 

Another news piece came up about the procedure for closing the main Auckland airport. Normally one of the things they monitor is how much water is on the runway. Might vary from "Dry" though to 5 mm, so they can advise the pilots about takeoff and braking conditions.  So the runway inspection guys go out in their car to check the runway. "Yeah, the water is 1/2 way up my boots!!!". The airport has the ocean on 3 sides, it was just the rain sitting on the runway.... They ended up closing the airport, with 6" of rain IN the domestic terminal, and the access roads underwater. Passengers couldn't fly OR drive out, and 1000+ folks were stuck there for the night. 

P.S, be careful buying a used (or even new) car in Auckland at the moment. A lot of them have been swimming.  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Well, I was shovelling more snow yesterday, about 2" overnight. Put more sand on. ::) I think it reached 28F yesterday and the snow was melting on the porch. Still a lot on the main porch to melt, need some 40's days. Suppose to see mid 30's today, 15F at the moment.

thecfarm

Yesterday was just about 40°, the same as today. Looks like a warm week ahead.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

26F this morning, cloudy. No snow to clear at least. :D

36F here yesterday, ice was melting on the driveway.

thecfarm

Looks like Saturday will be our cold day, 30°!!!!
 Temps in the high 30's and some even in the high 40's all this week.
Sap will be flowing.

SwampDonkey

26F here and snowing. Rain for tomorrow. Wheee more ice. And another mess Friday. :D

Nebraska

Steadily raining here.  ::)  Going to loose most  of the fros in the ground, the cattle yards will become bottomless quagmires.. This weather is a good month too soon. I guess it is moisture 
and we are still short.

Walnut Beast

Yes indeed! We need the rain but I'm not very happy about it now!! It just dried out finally to start working my drive to get two truck and pups in with rock! That's definitely not going to happen!!!

SwampDonkey

Clear skies this morning and if you didn't know it you'd think the moon was sitting on the roof of the neighbor's barn. ;D Rain coming in tonight.  20F now.

DonW

It's been snowing light to moderate since I was up cutting two days ago. Plus or minus six inch accumulation. Cold front to follow so this snow should be around for a while.   :laugh:
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

thecfarm

Low 40's and really nothing for sun.

Ianab

We dodged the worst of the latest cyclone here, but it slammed the North and East of the Island badly. This is the 2nd one in about 2 weeks, and didn't hit Auckland quite as hard as the last one, but other areas much worse. 

Towns up on the East Coast are still completely cut off, no road / phones / power. Army / Airforce / Navy are having to bring in supplies, and one of the Supermarket companies has ended up chartering a heavy lift chopper to get basic supplies / Starlink dishes and generator fuel in to their more remote stores. Gisborne city is basically without phone and internet as both the fibre feed cables have been taken out. Techs are working on it, with chopper support, and say the least damaged one is only broken in 4 places. 

Here's a video from the other day... Where the chopper is "landing" is the roof of the ground floor, you can see the roof mounted Sat dish in the foreground. The Airforce has choppers in the air too, but this looks like a local with a 2 seat Robinson just getting the job done. His off-sider is helping the stranded family in one at a time. 

Watch: Helicopter makes dramatic rescue in flood-stricken Hawke's Bay | Stuff.co.nz

Death toll is 5 so far, combination of drowning and landslides taking out houses. It's likely to rise as rescue crews reach more remote areas. 

And then we had a 6.3 Quake last night as well. Fortunately deep and offshore, so felt widely but no real damage.  Prime Minister was in the Nat Disaster Centre at the time, and his first words were "not reportable". His next was "What next, a swarm of Locusts!!!" 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Been mostly a warm wind in the 40's, not much for rain. Now they say cold and snow for Friday, not rain. :D  38F at present.

That's messy down there on that island nation. I thank my fortunes I'm high and dry here, although we have had earthquakes, none have been devastating in recent history, mostly around 2.0. We've actually had 18 earthquakes in the last year. Most centre around Grand Lake sparsely settled and camps in the south and Jacks and the Kennedy lakes in the north (very remote area), just fishing camp areas with no permanent residents up there. The magnitude 5's we had 41 years ago where also in that remote lake area. There were stronger ones before there were instruments to measure it, it moved the house foundation 2" on the old house.

Today's Earthquakes in New Brunswick, Canada

If anything devastating happened here on a weekend, not a peep would be mentioned about it until Monday morning, just be hearing Friday's news cycle all weekend. I witnessed that during Arthur. A national news organization run by the government never said a peep until Monday morning in the next news cycle. Was no mention of where to get water if you needed it, all weekend long. Local radio just blaring out the same old music playlists. That's our emergency preparedness plan. ::) I can tell ya right now we were better in tune 50 years ago, we've gone complacent from lack of serious events. Flooding along rivers for instance is nothing new, it has been happening here every year since the place was settled with folks taking a chance on building in harms way. All anyone has to do is look around them at the land and vegetation to see the clues of flooding events. Building on old grassy sand dunes with lots of foot and ATV traffic impacting it's integrity never gets mentioned in the 'catastrophic erosion' events. ::) Probably been 30 years now since they even brought it up, now it's blamed on just the weather to push a narrative.

Ianab

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 16, 2023, 02:05:12 AMmostly around 2.0. We've actually had 18 earthquakes in the last year

In an average year NZ records about 20,000 quakes. Most are small and usually only felt locally. 

And of course some of them are man-made. 
GeoNet - Shaken not stirred: Foo Fighters rocked Auckland!

So quakes aren't a new thing, we just have to watch for the plague of locusts now. :-\ 

SwampDonkey

Wlmedley

We have flood warnings here.Went out to get some oil and filters to service my truck and didn't think I was going to make it home before the water got over the road.Glad I live in the head of the hollow up on a hill.People down along the creek are probably sweating bullets.In the last 20 years we have already had a 100 year flood and a 1000 year flood.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Tom King

Low here tonight supposed to be 64 degrees.  Needed shorts to get any work done today.

thecfarm

Might of got 50 at my house today.
Both banks had 54°, but that was with hot top close by.
Set a record in Portland,ME, 56°. The old one was 51 back in 1981.

Thank You Sponsors!