iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best hardwood for exposed beams in timber frame home

Started by Matthias James, January 31, 2023, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias James

Hello all,

I reside in central Missouri, where there is an abundance of red, black, and white oak- as well as hickory, ash, walnut, and some cherry on our farm.

I am harvesting trees for a timber frame construction and would like to incorporate exposed beams. Is there a consensus out there on a preferred hardwood for beams- I know white oak is desirable for its durability- but there is a stave mill close by that offers good prices for white oak logs- so I was wondering if any of the other species would be desirable for beams.

Thanks in advance for your input. 
Matthias 

Jim_Rogers

Red, black oak are good, also, ash, walnut and cherry. Hickory is going to be difficult to keep straight but may make some short brace stock.

White oak for sills would be great as well, but you could sell them and use the money for your frame.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Mathias
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Sounds like you are in good shape for tree species. Hope you will take us along on your search and harvest and production of the exposed beams for your timber frame home.  We always like pics. 

Look forward to hearing more. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Matthias James

Thanks Jim! Good food for thought on hickory.

And thank you for the welcome, beenthere- this forum has already provided a wealth of great information. I'll be sure to upload some photos of the progress. 

Den-Den

Just for clarification, by "exposed", do you mean visible on the inside or exposed to weather?
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!