iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Precise Solutions Timber Cart

Started by timberframe, February 02, 2023, 04:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberframe

So I decided to splurge and pamper myself for the next build.   This will be just fantastic I think....can't wait to take it for a spin!  I'll circle.back when I've had a chance to take it for a test drive.

B

A Timberframer's Best Friend | Unboxing my new timbercart! #timberframe #timberframing #tools - YouTube

ShimodaLife

Good video and product. I love everything about that little unit,... except the price! Checked out your YT page, then went to the Precision Solutions site. $1,000!! Wow. As for the practical aspect of it, you're spot on about how useful it will be. Looks like a great shop and yard companion.

With the same need, I bought a cart/buggy at the local hardware store. When I'm not rolling timbers, I'm using it to collect leaves. Not anywhere near the same class as your unit, but cheap.

Thanks for sharing.

Completed my Timber Frame Tiny House as practice for the soon-to-be-started TF Real House. Tracking all on my Shimoda Life Youtube channel.

timberframe

Great solution you came up with!  

I'm trying to be a "buy once, cry once" kinda guy to the best of my ability and I really felt that this was a tool I could sell for some money when I retire and hand the business off to someone else.  It just looked that durable to me, and that counts for a lot for me.

Dan_Shade

One of my customers uses one of these to move cants/timbers around after they are sawn. 

I have always thought it to be a nice design. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jacobcbass

I came here to find an alternative to this unit. I too am a cry once buy once, but darn! That is pricey for what it is. What's everyone else using?
Nothing is to good for the family!

timberframe

Quote from: jacobcbass on February 09, 2023, 10:54:23 AM
I came here to find an alternative to this unit. I too am a cry once buy once, but darn! That is pricey for what it is. What's everyone else using?
I have had a chance to test drive it since then and it's everything I thunk it would be.  14 foot 8" x 8" timbers shuffled around with two fingers.....amazing. 
 Made in a small shop in USA and if you email you get a real person, who replies promptly with an articulate response and gives a crap about the customer and what they're getting.  I paid full price and wont buy another one so no need to brown nose to them, I just like good, made in NA  stuff and good customer service.  It ate up almost 10% of my paycheque for a small frame but if it gets stolen tomorrow, I'll buy another on the next day.
Let me know if anyone wants some good close up pics, or more details.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: jacobcbass on February 09, 2023, 10:54:23 AM
I made my own from two wheelbarrow tires and a piece of threaded rod:

A customer of mine made one similar but better:

more distance between wheels make it better. He added a handle to move it when empty.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

timberframe

One other feature I forgot to mention is that it will disassemble in about 3 minutes and load easily under the tonneau cover of your pickup.   In fact I transported mine behind the seats in my two-seater half ton.  Great for moving from shop to site.

rjwoelk

Nice cart, moving 8x8x13 is taxing and so much more when 17-18 ft long. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Grigg

It's always neat to see different timber carts, so many ways to solve a basic problem. 
In my experience any timber cart is better than not having one at all.  I also believe that once you've used a good timber cart it's then real hard to do without, assuming you have a genuine use for one.

Really appreciate the feedback on the carts I make, good to hear that folks appreciate the design, functionality, and durability.

If it's appropriate I can explain a little about those points?

Grigg

timberframe

I'd love some more backgrounds and details if Jim thinks it's ok?  Today is going to be a big day for mine as I put the workshop timbers into position for first cuts!

Brad_bb

I have a brand new Lon Tyler cart that I bought 7 years ago that I've never used.  I'm assuming it's because I'm dealing with hardwood timbers and I have a rough terrain forklift.  Are timber carts used mostly for pine and fir frames where the timbers aren't as heavy?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Grigg

Timber carts are used whenever you want, with whatever's within it's capacity.  
They really shine at moving timbers into a shop, through a door, gate, inside a building, down a walking trail, sidewalk, around your driveway, and so on...

I've been in shops and on jobsites with a crane and a few forklifts and timber carts still get used.  For example bringing rafters or post over to easy reach of the crane to reduce it's travel distance and therefore time to set the next piece.  Or into an area that the forklift won't fit.  Or often it's just easier and quicker than using the forklift for a single stick.

Not saying a timber cart will replace a forklift, they're different tools.  You can do a lot with either that you can't do with the other. 

I came to make these carts well after Lon stopped making his version. Occasionally friends who had busted their old carts and or couldn't find anything else would ask if I could make them one.  I wasn't very keen on duplicating the historical designs and didn't have any better ideas, so I didn't.  The two most important aspects (in my opinion) to a good cart are strong suitable wheels, and an efficient design.  Eventually I came up with what I figured was a good frame design.  Then it took a while to figure out, find, and source good wheels made to suite my requirements.  I made a steel prototype, gauged interest in it, and then ordered aluminum to make about a dozen, that was about 5 years ago. 

My particular design has two main features, the counterweighted frame is always ready to accept timber/lumber, also real easy and quick to take apart and fold up for storage or transport if needed.  We actually took one on the airplane a couple weeks ago as regular checked baggage, no extra fees; they break down that small.

The functionality is important.  They're strong without being big and cumbersome, good height for easy driving and loading on and off of horses and trailers. Tall tires for easy rolling. The counterweights again, no props to deal with or get in the way.

Durability has been perhaps the most important feature in my mind and what I've worked hard to achieve without sacrificing functionality.  The axle is 1" cold rolled steel, tires together are rated 1,150 lb.  So far of the hundreds out there the only cart I know that failed was run over by a skid loader... a new axle and wheels and it's still getting the job done.  

A 1,150 lb timber, obviously depending on species and actual moisture content, could be:
12"x 12" x 18' or 8"x 8" x 42' dripping wet/green oak.
Or 12"x 24"x 23' very dry pine, fir, or spruce.
That covers the needs of timber framers with few exceptions.

Thank You Sponsors!