iDRY Vacuum Kilns

SPACE AVAILABLE

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

SPACE AVAILABLE
Turbosawmill

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Northcott Turning (Pegs)  (Read 936 times)

Offline Lennyzx11

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Northcott Turning (Pegs)
« on: September 07, 2023, 05:14:03 PM »
I had a trip to take out to Massachusetts and used the excuse to go the long way back to pick up the pegs needed to lock my lower frame together before starting the roof/rafter level.
I had called Northcott Turning and left a message but no answer so I decided I would chance it. So backroading from Mass up through New Hampshire I went.
Arriving in Walpole, New Hampshire
I pulled up the long gravel driveway and startled Scott pushing a wheelbarrow full of blanks out from a weatherbeaten rough clad low building where all the magic happens. 
Scott and Judy are the owners of Northcott Turning. A true mom and pop operation (with a couple of friends as helpers) make the hardwood pegs we use.
Though they are six weeks behind in orders, Scott managed to find 200 for me in one of the storage buildings that werent promised out already. 
I was given the tour(sorry, no pictures of the machinery) and Scott demonstrated how and what each of them done and the process used. Some of the machinery happily chugging along was over 100 years old. It was fun seeing the John Deere oil squirt can (older than my 60 years for sure!) being used to oil the rails of the lathe to make chisel handles to make it return properly by Scott. 
Watching as the profile blade would come down to make a chisel handle for a famous maker we all have heard of on this lathe as his sure hand reached in to load the next blank and remove the finished handle, I noticed that you had to be stupid proof with your hand or lose a finger or two. OSHA would cringe

Years of sawdust covering the floor maked the walking around in the shop makes for a soft carpet as I was seeing the history hanging on the walls and posts of the time worn building in machinery, dies, test pieces, and other stuff from the years gone by.

Im sure others know them better than I and theres so much more to say about this visit but for me this was a highlight to see a true small operation able to keep working and making a living doing something that was being enjoyed by all every day. No CNC or automation computers to be found. 

My hats off to them for having what appears to be a truly good life and best wishes that it continues for them as long as they want.

Scott Northcott 7SEP2023

Southwest corner of Vermont

Online Jim_Rogers

• Board Moderator
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: Northcott Turning (Pegs)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
I've been there during an open house, and saw it all as well.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 01:01:36 AM »
I'm curious how they grade/inspect the material to make sure the grain is straight enough? Do they inspect the boards? Or the peg blanks themselves? I'm assuming they start with 4/4 boards?  Where does the material come from?  How do they spec it to the sawyer? Or do they mill all of their own?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline newoodguy78

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 06:17:23 PM »
Ive been there several times, its almost as if youre stepping back in time. Him and his wife are salt of the earth type people for sure.

Offline Prizl tha Chizl

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 03:01:45 AM »
Thanks for the glimpse into their place. Ive only had the opportunity to deal with them a few times, but Im certain I will look no further as long as they are in business. Dedication to consistent product and lack of pretension are qualities well appreciated.

Dont know the answer to Brads questions, and folks with a  little more experience may have other info to report, but in the few hundred pegs Ive ordered, Ive only set aside a couple due to grain runout. Whatever their system, it seems to be working
The Woods Is My Church

Offline Chilterns

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 02:33:30 PM »
Hi Brad,

What are 4/4 boards ?

C.

Offline Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 12:36:02 AM »
4/4 means four quarters thick.  This is a term used for rough sawn and only rough sawn wood.  Generally when we cut 4/4, it's 1-1/16 to 1-1/8" thick.  Mine is 1-1/16th.

Generally a rough cut board is 1/8" over the quarter designation.  So 8/4 would be 2-1/8" thick rough sawn.  Once it's dried and secondary processed, quarters are no longer used, but the actual measurement.  

Extra 1/8" is extra insurance to stay thicker once dried.  The board will shrink as it dries. 

With a 4/4 board you should get no less than .75 thick after drying and surfacing, and you might get up to 15/16", depending on how flat it dries.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline Chilterns

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 02:28:58 AM »
Hi Brad,

A very useful and informative reply.

C.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

SPACE AVAILABLE