iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blued blades VS shiny blades

Started by woodbowl, January 14, 2006, 06:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

I'm not sure that  I can tell any difference in the performance of the two but I ran across a few blades the other day that appear to be blued but in fact it seems to be a dye that gives the blued look. This is neither good or bad for me in terms of sawing and it does protect somewhat from superficial rust. The reason it grabed my attention was because I noticed that this particular group of blades missed some of the dye. Maybe it was at the end of a coil to recieve only part of a swipe, not sure ...... I don't know what Brand of blades these are and was hoping that it would be a clue to someone that could tell me. It is one of the best 1 1/4" blades that I've ever used. It keeps a hard tip and a reasonable life band. Out of all the companies that supply a "blued look" blade, has anyone noticed anything like this?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

gmmills

woodbowl,

The only blade that I have seen that had a blue or dark colored blade body was a Simonds Hard Back. The discoloration of the body is caused by heat treatment of the steel. The Simonds Flex Back has no heat treating on the body, shiny in appearance,  just the teeth are heat treated. I think that Simonds Hard Backs are made by taking Flex Back Stock and running it through the addition heat treating proccess of the blade body. You posssibly have some blades off the end of the roll of blade stock that didn't make it through the treating process, Flex Back Blades.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

woodbowl

Quote from: gmmills on January 14, 2006, 10:03:34 PM

You posssibly have some blades off the end of the roll of blade stock that
didn't make it through the treating process, Flex Back Blades.

What I've got is definitely "inky". I've ran a lot of simonds blades and there is a big difference. This color of blue seems to be more blue than the normal "blued" blades. Part of the blade has a uniform blue look. Then it started to get splotchy like the dye was running out. The remainder is streaked at an angle like it was applied with a cheap brush, and the last section has nothing. (shiny)

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

Hey Woodbowl,
     Did you get these blades at a new distributer? Are you still running the Mungs?

These blades aren't the blue ones you had when you came to Perkinston are they? I noticed them laying on the ground with the other blades and meant to ask you about them.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodbowl

Quote from: Radar67 on January 17, 2006, 01:06:44 AM

These blades aren't the blue ones you had when you came to Perkinston are they? I noticed them laying on the ground with the other blades and meant to ask you about them.

That's them Stew. I never even used them while I was there. They were still new and there for a stand-by.  I have a sneeky feeling that they are a "Morse"  blade. I ran a set about 8 years ago and noticed the off blue look. They run real well, I'm just curious to know what brand they are and if anyone out there can help me put the puzzel together.

Thank You Sponsors!