The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like over the next few years)  (Read 12763 times)

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
  • I'm Gonna need a BIGGER Boat!
    • Share Post
I have the construction forklift rented for the weekend, and several friends lined up for helpers. I hopefully am ready to stand up my 16X24 Kingpost.

This is what it looks like. I have the two 24' sidewalls assembled and laying on the deck. I have the three trusses assembled and ready. My plans are to raise the two sidewalls, plumb, and brace. Then place the three trusses on top of the posts, then plumb and brace those. Then I have drop in purlins to put in. I used pockets rather than dovetails, and will cut each of the purlins to final length for each pocket so I get a tight fit. Then metal strapping to secure them in the pockets.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on rigging the walls, and trusses for lifting with the forklift. My plan for the sidewalls, is to clamp a 10' strongback across the middle to support the middle joints. I don't really have a piece of lumber long enough (24') to cover from one end to the other.  I know this is a lot of stress on these joints and it has me a little worried.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Offline Rooster

• Tools are extensions of ourselves... share a tool.
    • Share Post
    • Photobucket image storage account
Re: Assembling my timberframe this weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »

The darker lines represent 2" racket rachet ratchet straps and load/recovery straps or chain.

Tip:

If you unbolt the short piece of strap from the end of the racket rachet ratchet, then replace the bolt, the hook from the long strap can then come around and hook back onto the racket rachet ratchet at that bottom/ empty bolt.  This keeps all the steel parts of the racket rachet ratchet strap isolated to one area so that you don't scratch or dent your beams.

I hope this helps.

Rooster

PS I had the "spell check" turned "off" in my brain...I think?
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »
Rooster,

Thanks for the tip. It took me a second to figure our racket was a ratchet strap.  :D I am going to look at my straps right now, and make that mod if I can. It is always a pain to get the two hooks attached to one another, and then keeping them from digging into the beam.

The setup for the Kingpost truss is great. I'll set it up that way.

Do you think I'll need a strongback on both sides of the wall assembly, or is that just to keep the ratchet straps from denting the beams? I have a 10' 3X6 that I plan on using now.  I had actually planned on using 4 pipe clamps to secure it in place, but maybe a combo of straps and clamps would be better.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Offline Rooster

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
Yeah, I tend to type with a "lisp"....I'm not sure if I even spelled that right or not! ::)

The thinner strong back is just to prevent denting.  In this application, I would use a strong back that was close to the same width as the girt and then strap it.  The clamps can allow pivoting at the point of contact were as the strap has little room for slop when it's "huggin' "both beams together.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »
Thanks again Rooster. I took the bolts out of a few of my ratchet straps, and I like it.

I'll try and post some pics of the raising.  The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, which is a welcome change here. This time of year we get some terrific wind storms, along with our rain. Last night we had steady 35 with gusts up to 70mph. I was planning on taking the plastic tarps off today, but it seems mother nature did that for me last night...  :D

Offline witterbound

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 06:00:55 PM »
We cut the hook off the long end of the ratchet strap, and run that end back through the gear part, so that it catches in the ratchet.  That way there are no steel parts to mar the wood.  Kinda screws up your ratchets for other things, though.

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »
Well we started at 7:30 this morning, and knocked off at 3:30pm.

I rigged the walls as suggested, and they came up without any problem at all, no popping or cracking which was great.

We raised and plumbed the walls, and flew in the trusses.

Swinging that commander over my head, used muscles I think I had long forgotten :D

Then purlins go in.

We have the ridge pole, and 4 more purlins to do tomorrow.

Thanks for the rigging advice, it worked wonderfully.

Offline Rooster

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:49:59 PM »
MM,

That looks Sharp!!!   ;)

I'm glad it went smooth...otherwise any future advice I might give would have to have a disclaimer with it! :D

And that is some veiw!

Rooster

PS  I've seen guys snap off trunnels using that technique...too heavy, and not enough accuracy...but as long as it got the job done, and no one got hurt, then "let 'er buck".  I call my 17 lbs. white oak commander "The Old Man"...cause after using it for any long period of time I tend to feel like an Old Man.  
smiley_smash smiley_old_guy

Mike Rowe

Rooster

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
Finished out the purlins today.

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
Your pup likes it too! :)
Looks great. ;)
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Offline ljmathias

• Senior Member x2
  • Been sawing part-time almost 27 years now
    • Share Post
    • Polymer Science Learning Center
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:49:50 AM »
Beautiful job!  Love to see that place first-hand, do some fishing in that little pond nearby and just enjoy the area.  Must be a great place to visit/live...   :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Offline jander3

• Share Post
    • Anderson TimberWorks
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
Very nice.  Are the trusses, just sitting on tenons?  Or did you do something fancy with that joint?   I like the truss design.

Offline frwinks

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
the frame looks great, and the view......wowzaaaa 8)

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
Jander the trusses set on the posts with 2X4X4" long tenons, and of course the braces from the posts.  These joints are probably the weakest in my opinion in the whole frame right now. Certainly with the purlins  and ridge pole in place it stiffened up a bit, but you are still depending on those tenons to withstand side loads I suppose. I am certainly no engineer, but that is just the way it appears to me.

Until I get the roof sheathing on, I have some cross braces running from  the Kingposts to the floor joists. It is not unusual this time of year to get gales or storms with 60-100mph winds, so I wanted the gable ends braced. and secured.

frwinks we kind of like the view also. Had a whale in the pond swim past last night ;D

Offline witterbound

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
I think I would run a stongtie strap down the last 12" of each rafter then down the post 12" or so to help support the joint.  Nobody will ever see the steel strap, and it would help me sleep better at night.   

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
You read my mind on the strapping. I don't have a picture of the ones that run from the truss to the posts, but here is a pic of the purlins, and also a pic of the post to foundation strapping.

I used the Simpson 16ga coiled strapping. I had actually debated not using any metal in the frame, but laying in bed one night with the wind howling, I changed my mind  :)  This structure is a guest cabin.

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »
Looking great and a great view, too! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for J&R Schugel

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
I wanted to update my thread on construction of our Cabin. I found time late last fall to get the curtain walls up, and the ROs framed for doors and windows.

Then my wife and I left for the holidays and warmer climate for a few months. Now however I am back at it, trying to get a roof on before fishing season starts.

First was some hauling from various mills on the island.  Here is my stack of red cedar siding, and the yellow cedar porch roof decking. I also hauled a load of Alaskan hemlock 2" T&G car decking which I pre-finished in my shop. You can also see the frame coming together for the porch that Jim helped me design. I'll be cutting the rest of that frame on days when I can't work outside.

I have been busy these last few days between rain and snow showers getting the roof deck on. I bought a big tarp, and by working inside the frame and unrolling as I went along I was able to keep the wood dry. I certainly didn't want the T&G to get wet.

Here is a pic from underneath. I really like the contrast between the Yellow Cedar timbers and the Hemlock T&G.

I'll try and keep up posting. I have the metal ordered for the roof, and hopefully can get it at least under roof between rain and snow showers...

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
Re: Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like next years)
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »
thanks for taking the time to post this.  It is great to see how this can be done.  Please keep them coming through the project.

Offline mmhailey

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like next years)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
Got a few more pics to add.

My wife and I finished up the Car decking on the roof Sunday. We are trying to get everything in place and ready for a roofing team.

Here is a sketchup of the porch that is free standing, and will be attached to the cabin.

I finished the deck today, and put some scrap T&G on it for staging. Marrying  the joists to the sill beams wasn't a lot of fun single handed. Luckily I was able to use some levers and saw horses to get them engaged, then used my straps to pull everything together prior to pegging.

Once I had the deck on I had an opportunity to start firring out around my windows to make room for the 2" foam.

I am waiting for help from a roofing team, as I have been instructed by the wife to stay off...  :D
I'll keep working on the lower walls, till then.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
assembling my new sawmill

Started by maple flats on Sawmills and Milling

67 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 03:08:53 PM
by maple flats
xx
Assembling quilting machine

Started by beenthere on General Board

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2006, 11:27:24 AM
by red