iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First cuts good for log siding????

Started by eddiebo, October 10, 2012, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

Are the first round over cut good for use as log siding? I have several Pine logs that were cut as standing dead trees, and have been burning them. They are really solid, and I was wanting to use them as siding with mortar chink between them after sawing straight edges on both sides. Any experience with using these??????
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

fuzzybear

YES!!! :D  I have built many little cabins/outbuildings using the same system.  Oil them good and hang them. The first one I built 25 years ago is still standing and I have yet to replace any of the "logs".  The thicker the better.  You can smooth over any edges that protrude with a draw knife.
  The cabin in my avitar is a round wood timberframe with slab siding.  Most everyone assumes it's a full log. I used slabs that were left over from the mill that used to be on my wood lot 30 years ago. most were in the 6" to 12" range. I oiled the heck out of them with linseed oil. I have to reoil it this next summer, but I expect it will out live me by a long time.
  I never could understand why they make 2" thick "log" siding by first cutting a square to then machine it round again. The end slabs are all ready the correct shape and require less machining to create the same effect.

FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

eddiebo

Fuzzybear that looks awesome. Do you have to chink between slabs ? Linseed oil huh ? Tar paper or Tyvec house wrap behind it?
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

fuzzybear

I used 2 layers of tar paper behind the slabs and perma chink between the "logs".  The wind comes through there pretty good and it has held up fine.  The inside is 4" insulation with 2x10 t&g wall coverings.  I've been in it at -50 with 40mph winds and never felt a draft. I had to open the windows because I left the damper open to long.
  The tin for the roof and a case of nails is all I have into it really. Everything else was recycled or left overs from new construction in town. 
   For pine/spruce I have found that boiled linseed works the best and lasts the longest. During the summer here the wood is in the sun 24hrs a day. I have yet to find anything else that holds up as long.
   I cut the edges with the chainsaw and a "beam Machine" that left them at 6.5" wide. This is mainly because there was no electricity available and I only had 4 days to complete the cabin. Chinking is pretty much the same as a log home and needs touch up every so often.
  I even used the 2"-3" thick slabs as the rafters all of them cut to 5.5" and trimmed like a regular 2x6.
I will building my new wood working shop next year, and will do the same thing on the outside of it.  I  have about  ten stacks 4' wide by 6 feet tall of slabs I use for different projects. They also are great for bracing while your building.  I trim windows and doors with them to give the look of a log structure.
  I hate to burn good wood, so I've tried to find different uses for them.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

thecfarm

That looks real nice fuzzybear. I would have to run through my wood lot to find that many trees the same size. Than it would have to be my fir,which for the most part are rotten inside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!