iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nearing completion!!

Started by Thehardway, January 20, 2012, 10:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

It has been a very long road but we are finally nearing completion and have a tentative move in date of April as we have candidate to buy this house we are presently living in.  I thought some of you might be interested in seeing a few picture of the inside.  The folks on this site have been a huge help to me not only in technical advise but also in encouragement support and inspiration.

This is the ceiling in the greatroom/kitchen area.  it is 22' from the floor to the peak of the ceiling. 

I made the chandelier with scrap steel, some electrical conduit and some chain.  The actual light fixtures I bought at Walmart.  They are simple outdoor porch lights. Total cost was under $200.00

The window came from a builders surplus supply co. I paid 150.00 for it.

I cut all the purlins struts, splines etc. on my saw and had the large oak timbers sawn by a local mill as the oak logs were larger than I could handle by myself

The stairs I bought as scrap metal for 75$ As soon as I finish welding the rails on the stairs and loft I can start laying the floor tile.  Kitchen cupboards arrive in Feb.

We poured the footers on this project jun of 2007.  It has been a crazy 5 years.  Sometimes I think I set the bar a bit two high for my first project but I'm already thinking and planning what I'll build next. Garage, sawshed, garden shed, barn, cooking gazebo, extra room... The wife says we are done.... At least for a while....

There is still a lot of work to be done before we can get a CO but barring a catastrophe it is all doable.  We will likely move in before all the trim work is done and the landscaping is finished but hey, is anything ever really done?  Not in my life.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ernie

Looks terrific, got any pics of the exterior?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thehardway

Will try to take a few this weekend if it's not raining.  There are some older ones in my gallery of the exterior in progress.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

WDH

At first I thought that the chandelier was made from old saw blades  :D.  It looks great.  That spiral staircase is awesome!   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jueston

frwinks

Looks great, love the light and nice to see more people with creative buying habits ;D...
Soon you'll be able to kick your feet up and enjoy it all :)   

Brad_bb

Were you building a whole house or just an addition?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jamesamd

I've been watching!
I'm glad, for You that it is nearing the end. Absolutely, a fantastic effort. Well done!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Raider Bill

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 24, 2012, 06:41:25 PM
Were you building a whole house or just an addition?

It's a I.C.F, S.I.P, and Timber frame hybrid house. Bob is quite the thinker and craftsman. His posts, pictures and emails helped me a lot when I was building my I.C.F. house. Wish I had 1/4 of his skill and knowledge.
My hat's off to him. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thehardway

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and complements.  This is a complete, although compact, (24X34 footprint) 2br 1bath house.  It has about 1000 sq/ft of usable floor space inside.  It was built in my "spare" time which meant about 1 or 2 nights a week and a couple weekends a month as well as 2 weeks of vacation a year.  My wife and son (now 9) were my primary helpers with occasional help from the FIL my mother and a couple neighbors and friends.  Since it is 1.5hr drive from my current home and 45 min from work, I have almost as much road time in as I do time on the house.

Here are some pics of the outside taken yesterday evening. (finally got a break in the rain yesterday)  The porch is not built yet, you can see the ledger board attached for the porch (shed style) and it will be 10X22.  Have the holes dug for the footer posts, just waiting for a little warmer weather to get it all rolling.  The exterior trim is still unfinished as you can see.  It is all Hardi-Panel/Plank with Sherwin Williams Duration paint.  I still have to flash over the stone and do the soffit as well.  We got all the pipe for the railing bent, welded and threaded Sat. but had to order flanges to attach them the the posts.  They arrived yesterday so I should get them up tonight.  Will take pics when they are complete.

The last pic of last nights sunset was taken standing in front of the front door looking SW towards Smith Mt. which is the basic view from inside the house...

Thank You Sponsors!