iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It broke in two

Started by Bill_B, February 11, 2004, 03:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_B

I was just finishing this vase and I had a bad catch and it broke off at tha base.
After a few unkind words I looked at it and figured it could be fixed. It has 721 different pieces of wood in it.The next photo will show the size of the vase. With it is a Butternut vase.

Bill B

Frank_Pender

That vase is absolutely beautiful, Bill.  8) 8) 8) I wish I was so fortunate with my lathe. :'(
Frank Pender

redpowerd

never seen such, very nice.
but is there a market for wooden mtn.dew vases? ;)
what kinda wood? very nice sheen on some of those peices!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

OneWithWood

Oooh, I hate it when those things happen ???
Glad you were able to salvage it.  It is a very nice piece of work.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

shopteacher

The test of a true craftsman is his ability to repair things beyond repair. Very nice work Bill. :)
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

Bill

Butternut is quite hard to work with I find and hard to polish. Is your lathe reversible? mine's not. A reversible lathe makes it easier to polish. Where as a one way lathe tends to turn the grain over, when you reverse it, it will finish the job proper.

Thanks for sharing your works, super nice job :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill_B

I have no problems wirh Butternut. You need sharp tools. Then sand to 500 grit at a very slow speed {60rpm}.  Then speed the lathe to 2500rpm and burnish with paper bag.
My lathe runs only one direction.
The vases in the photos will get 3 more coats of Lacquer before they are done.
Bill B

SwampDonkey

Ok, I always let my lathe go full, but I can turn it down for sanding. And my tools might need a touch up on the  wheel I suppose. When I go back at turning I'll remember your tips. What does the paper bag do? I don't follow. I'de use pumice or rotten stone and cheese clothe to polish, but it might be too fine for butternut grain.

Thanks again, your work is pure art :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

Nice looking vase, Bill.  I haven't got up the nerve yet to try segmented turning - I'm still working with natural edge green bowls.

Is that a Delta Homecraft lathe, BTW?  Looks a lot like mine.

Jon

Bill_B

Engineer yes it is a detta-homecraft lathe. I have added 6 inch riser blocks and more pulleys and jack shaft for more speeds.
SD the paper bag is like 2400 sand paper. I use strips of paper folded in half.
Bill B

SwampDonkey

Ah so rottenstone wouldn't be too fine then at all, then follow the top coat with pumice. Gonna make it shine, shine, shine, gonna make it shine.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!