iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your timber/ beam cart!

Started by Rooster, December 29, 2012, 11:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

venice

kantuckid

I see several potential ideas here but thread renewal prospecting for more ideas.
I will need a beam/log cart to move my EWP "D"-logs (~6 x 7 or 8") across my subfloor to the tractor inaccessible, back side of my build site. I don't need to move wall logs outdoors on the ground as the back side is too rough to allow even my 4xd tractor to move these, which it does well otherwise.  
I'll be moving my wall logs up to a fairly remote deep woods site on a hay wagon I built a new top onto, having 3 ratchet strap anchor points on each side of the top. I placed heavy "D"-rings which allow toting materials lengthwise through the woods and up a steep 4xd road behind a tractor. I also have FEL forks and fork extensions to assist with raising logs using slings.
Inside is where I'll need to get them across the 16x20 cabin subfloor. As much as possible I'll raise the logs from the easy side and slide along built walls.
The Jim_Rogers buddies cart intrigues me the most so far. I don't want some long, heavy or cumbersome. As we speak, my brain is thinking a cart even lighter than that one. I can see it serving my purpose made from smaller wood than as shown, so I took some pics of that one to play with.
Cost wise for wheels, those inflatable ones on my HF two-wheeler would easily carry the weight of one of my D-logs on a wood subfloor where it's smooth. Since my build is a onesie, I might "borrow" those wheels for a log cart?
A companion thread here suggests a kayak/cane cart might work. I have one now but not looked at it lately, maybe I'll adapt mine? I bought it when I got our Saturn, inflatable "Kaboat" a few years ago. 
Thanks for looking!

P.S.-sawing D-logs from larger logs is a true PITA! ;D Smaller logs, to get either one or two wall logs- not at all.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

jake pogg

The photo above is how i ended up moving "D"-logs across the subfloor,And-most importantly-setting them in place also (otherwise you'd also need a lifting device).

I handled green 20-footers by myself with it (8" three-sided "logs",dang and blast the entire concept of attempting to turn a log into a brick,but i digress...).

My cart started as someone's gas-bottles dolly,a dump find. I added the square wooden structure,with a pair of casters at each end (which maybe makes the larger,motorcycle wheels redundant).
The reason it all looks so messy is that i had to extend it up every 2-3 courses,as i used it by setting first one end of the log on the wall,than the other,and see-sawing the log thusly you don't want to incline it too much(less it starts sliding uncontrollably).

Anyway,it worked.I handled all the logs by myself,and having to set them on unsecured glass insulation at that,so sliding wouldn't have worked.
Similar situation as you,K.,only one corner of the cabin accesseble by forklift,but a good solid subfloor (1 1/8" underlayment on 16" oc) to work with,easy rolling...
"You can teach a pig anything,it just takes time;but what's time to a pig?"
Mark Twain

kantuckid

Unlike my log home built in my 30's, this builds got to have more "boost" as I'm a far cry from the big ole boy I once was. I used the new on the market, "log home foam from Norton Sealants between the logs on my home, but had more of me, plus a man on a tractor with a scrap yard boom pole later in 2nd story, so on.
HF has a Garden cart that's cutesy but not IMO robust enough and neither is my KaBoat cart.
I have a 2-wheeler that can be used upright or down which I used for firewood when we still used our wood furnace in basement but onesset of wheels is small casters, likely too small for a wood sub-floor, plus not height gain as seen above in pics.
I'm going to research wheels this aft. and cool off. Also need a cheap pair of axles that's 1" to fit a 25mm Asian wheel based on quick look at wheels? 

kantuckid

Last night we watched Barnwood Builders put an old log cabin back together indoors using carpet roll carts and HF moving dollies to roll the logs into the building at the Townsend, TN Smoky Mountain Museum there. FWIW, that cabin was built by a locally well known frontier gunsmith named Sam Keller who built guns from scratch. 
The HF dollies worked best while pulling the log with a sling looped on one end like a dog collar and a leash. 
Thing is a carpet cart is pricey plus it only moves the log down low.
 I see a crude, but extendable height cart using 4 cheapo 10" HF wheels ($8.49) on 5/8" axles. 
Slide poles on a build wall using my rope pulley from a tree outside the wall is an easy enough way to raise a log once it's next to the inside of the wall. 

Leonardsean

I built myself a beam caddy over the winter based on photos and sketches listed on this thread and am using it with good results to build a timber retaining wall. I only have the first few courses done now, but it will eventually be 83 feet long and about 6 feet high at the high end (it's on an incline and level with the grade at the far end.

Had to draw up plans to make the angles come out flush to the ground given the wheels that I purchased.

I also made some changes such as doing lap joints in places to prevent the fasteners being in shear.

Finally I polyurethaned it to protect it.

When using it, I found that I could steer it/push it with the timber in place, but needed a detachable handle to bring it back while empty, so I used some black iron pipe and unscrew it at the fitting where the pole inserts into the 45 degree elbow.

Thought I would upload some pictures.

kantuckid

The closest cart to buy ready-made that I've seen is a carpet cart. FB marketplace has lots for sale and though high priced new, used they are around $50-75 used. One version has plastic pipe rollers used by turning a carry item sideways then into a door, etc..
 None are near me though, so I'll do w/o for now. They might not handle a huge beam but would do well with a smaller D-log such as my needs. 
Rolling surface I have to negotiate dictates large diameter wheels than the cart shown above. 
A wheelbarrow could work in certain situs by strapping the beam to the top. 

Thank You Sponsors!