iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

magnolia

Started by ely, October 13, 2014, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

ely

Well I was reading a post earlier about how easy it is to post pictures so I tried it. It must be easy cause I got two of em. Bare with me , my phone is smart now.

ely

This particular tree was a yard tree that I believe got hit by lightening. It cause the black stain through the tree.

ely

Compensation

I like it! It looks like a man made stain but naturally made. Neat... Thanks!
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

schakey

Well my phone is smart but it's operator isn't  smiley_jester Thanks for the pics
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

ely

I did not know we didn't have to resize pics anymore. I do have one picture of salted sycamore that won't load for some reason.

WDH

Black streaks/color in the heartwood of magnolia is not uncommon. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That color pattern is normal for our Magnolia. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blade69001

Quote from: Magicman on October 14, 2014, 08:08:00 AM

Magicman,
Will it stay through the drying process?
Sean P.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

pineywoods

My experience with magnolia hasn't been good. Sawed good, looked nice, but degraded rapidly. Colors faded to a dull gray and the dry wood was hard and brittle. Stacked and stickered the wood turned to mush....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

taylorsmissbeehaven

Nice pics! I really like magnolia. There is a lot of color in there just as each new board comes off. I don't know much about the end use of it but I did cut some for a fellow that made picture frames out of it. They turned out nice. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Finn1903

Quote from: pineywoods on October 14, 2014, 09:17:08 AM
My experience with magnolia hasn't been good. Sawed good, looked nice, but degraded rapidly. Colors faded to a dull gray and the dry wood was hard and brittle. Stacked and stickered the wood turned to mush....

Good to know.   I milled a magnolia for a guy who wanted to use it in place of a floor jack post and another log for a mantle piece.  His builder thought it was a good idea and I milled as requested.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Magicman

Quote from: blade69001 on October 14, 2014, 09:02:17 AM
Quote from: Magicman on October 14, 2014, 08:08:00 AM

Magicman,
Will it stay through the drying process?
Sean P.
I have no idea because I have never seen it past the sawing.  I would trust Pineywood's experience with it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The dark black will remain after drying.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

I have made T&G paneling with it and have seen it a month after installation. I prefered it over the red cedar we did in the same house.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

ohwc

No issues with Magnolia as previously stated.

Thank You Sponsors!