iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest fire

Started by sawguy21, July 22, 2015, 10:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

We are keeping an eye on a lightening strike fire not far from here.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2122451/bolean-lake-wildfire-leads-to-evacuation-order-and-alert/
It would need to jump two valleys to reach us but so hot and dry here anything is possible. The smoke varies, it is clear now but has been thick for a couple of days. Another one on the west side of Okanagan lake has been been keeping everyone busy too, it is close to an area burned over a couple of years ago so fire fighters are hoping that will act as a buffer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

yukon cornelius

Hope you stay in the clear. They sure can jump in a hurry! Stay safe
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

justallan1

I'm sitting through a lightning storm right now and it doesn't look good. Everything is grounding for long runs at a time and there's bunches of it. I know at the very least I'll be out scouting tonight in the truck and then again in the morning on the 4-wheeler.
Wish you the best, Sawguy21. Be safe.

Bill Gaiche

Whats your thoughts about how Victoria, BC has contracted to use those large 1940's planes for scooping up 6000 gal of water in about 15 seconds to fight the forest fires there. You can find out some info when you google it. There are some video which is pretty cool. I feel like we need several location in the states which has several of those type planes. We sure are losing a lot of resources, lives, animals and homes because of these fires. Maybe we need something like a national guard type unit to handle these large fires. The sooner you can get the fire under control the less it burns. Most of these fires people on foot or land vehicle can't get to them. Just my thoughts. bg

yukon cornelius

I used to be in the fire service and I always thought the walk behind skid steer type thing would put in a fire break in most places in no time vs by hand. lots of attachments for them as well
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sawguy21

Bill, I think you are referring to the Martin Mars. Only one remains in flying condition, forestry calls it out as a last resort due to cost. The provincial government budgeted a measly 60 million for fire suppression this year, so far the bill is over 163 million and rising and the season is far from over.
Those big bombers are mighty impressive to watch, they can lay down a huge amount of water and retardant. Unfortunately they are limited in use to fires on relatively flat terrain and near large bodies of water. They cannot get in close enough in narrow valleys and steep terrain to be most effective. I saw a tv show on refitting a DC-10, does anybody know if that panned out?

Ianab

QuoteI saw a tv show on refitting a DC-10, does anybody know if that panned out?

They are using 747s as water bombers now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YMIIvn6TkY

DC10 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaUDs48h2ns
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

I've always wondered what was in the fire retardant, is it basically the same as what a fire extinquisher has in it, or is it liquid?

sawguy21

It is called Firetrol, a sticky goop that mixes with water. It sticks to whatever it hits and acts as a fertilizer, you should see the grass go crazy on it. Very corrosive, it is nasty stuff to get on skin.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

From Beenthere's link.

QuoteThe major ingredient is ammonium polyphosphate, a  commonly used agricultural fertilizer

I guess they have to use something that's less harmful to environment than just letting the fire burn.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

Thanks BT and Sawguy, yes that would be corrosive.

Stuart Caruk

A buddy of mine has a tree farm that just went through a fire. Mostly Douglas fir in the 22" - 24" DBH size. The crowns are all burned off and the trees have been well blackened. Can these be salvaged and cut into timbers or is there something wrong with sawing trees that have gone through a fire, besides the mess?
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

beenthere

Nothing wrong with the wood..
if logs sawn up before bugs or decay or drying checks degrade the wood. But the wood is not degraded by the fire.  As you say, just the mess.. and everything black.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

Douglas-Fir is a fire-resistant species. If the fire doesn't reach the crowns the trees will often survive a fire. The bark is very thick and expands when exposed to fire, making a thick insulator. With the crowns gone the tries won't survive but the trunks should be in excellent condition.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ron Scott

Sad lose of a young USFS firefighter.

All Region 5 Employees: It is with a very heavy heart I write to inform you of the loss of US Forest Service firefighter, Mike Hallenbeck. Mike was a 21-year-old crew member from Shingle Springs, Calif., who died Saturday afternoon as a result of injuries received on a wildfire on the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (LTBMU) in northern California. Mike, a member of the Organized Crew36 based on the LTBMU, was struck by a tree during the initial response to the Sierra Fire which straddled the Eldorado National Forest and LTBMU. The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m. Efforts to resuscitate him were not successful. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of this brave young man who lost his life yesterday working with his crew to control the blaze. We are launching a Coordinated Response Protocol (CRP) to learn everything we can to prevent future tragedies like this. We recognize the impact and significance of losing multiple members of our R5 Forest Service family within a very short time. We need to ensure we continue to support each other and stay vigilant as we continue firefighting efforts across the Region. There is no greater value than the lives of our Forest Service employees and the public we serve. Randy Moore Regional Forester Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region p: 707-562-9000 rmoore@fs.fed.us 1323 Club Drive Vallejo, CA 94592 www.fs.fed.us Caring for the land and serving people
~Ron

Magicman

It is always so sad to read about such a tragedy. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

We have another bad one at Rock Creek near the Washington border, it was 4 hectares within minutes and quickly grew to 800 hectares. Both highways in the area are shut down and two communities are threatened, this one is going to be ugly.

petefrom bearswamp

I know nothing about the  mechanics of airplanes, and dont like to fly, but it appears to me that the older platforms have found new life as fire fighting planes.
I admire and have the utmost respect the pilots who fly these important missions
I have nothing but admiration for the young firefighters who put their lives o the line when they fight these fires.
A prayer for the family of this young man
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

curdog

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/wildfires/2015/08/19/okanogan-county-town-evacuated-due-wildfire/31987159/

3 firefighters were killed and additional were injured on a fire in Washington,  sending prayers to the families.

petefrom bearswamp

A friend in colorado had his house bombed several years ago with the red retardant when crews were fighting the Picnic Rock fire .
2 houses just below his were destroyed. It was a job to get the stuff off of his house but much better than the alternative.
He tried to use the fire killed Ponderosa for firewood  but it was too messy to handle.
He has had 2 fires come very close to his place.
My heart goes out to the families of the 3.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

It is difficult to imagine the magnitude of this tragedy, both the personal and physical losses.  My heart goes out to the families.   :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I have written in the "what are you sawing" thread about selling fence boards and lumber to the national park service outfit near me here in MA.
The guy I deal with is from my home town and he is a national park service fire fighter. And he came to see me as he was flying out to Washington state to fight the fires there.
I am very concerned about him and I just called his cell phone to see if he was ok. Went right to voice mail.
I hope and pray he's ok.
I won't know for sure until they release the names of the dead and injured.

If and when anyone gets these names could the let me know? thanks

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

sawguy21

That area was the scene of a large fire last summer. We were traveling near it and weren't sure which route to take home. 11 tickets were issued in our area last week for violation of the campfire ban. Are these people just selfishly stubborn or out right stupid?

coxy

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 20, 2015, 10:42:01 AM
Are these people just selfishly stubborn or out right stupid?
both  >:( some people just don't care about anything but them selfs  I think they should make new laws on these maters if someone dies from your stupity you need to be put away   maybe it will get the message a crossed

Thank You Sponsors!