iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WTB- Log/timber cart

Started by knowslittle, April 28, 2016, 07:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowslittle

Want to buy a log/timber cart, similar to the one sold in the guild store, for upcoming job.  Don't have access to a decent fabricator.  New or used, my body would appreciate it.
Thank you.
bob

logman

If you can't find one like the Guild sold I used a 2 wheel greenhouse cart once.  I liked it better than the one the Guild sold.  That thing is a pain to use if you work alone.  The greenhouse cart had wheel barrow handles but I removed them. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Jim_Rogers

I made my own, and a customer of mine made his own based on my design. But, he improved it.

Above is mine.

Above is his; much wider wheel spacing more stable then mine.
Use standard wheel borrow wheels with a piece of threaded rod for axle.

I made mine for less than $60 as I remember it. Now it could be more.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Heartwood

The thing I don't like with the small wheeled carts is having to bend over to move the timber. I have the Guild cart and love it because I can move the timber standing upright, plus the big bicycle wheels work well on rough terrain like gravel. But no one is making that cart anymore. I would suggest modifying a heavy duty game/deer cart. They sell for under $100, have the big wheels and can haul up to 750 lbs. and even fold up for storage. You would need to fix some way to keep the timber from sliding off sideways (hose clamps and a rubber sleeve like pipe insulation?) and maybe something to keep the cart upright while loading, like the counterweight does on the Guild cart. If anyone tries this let me know how it works.

classicadirondack

Cabelas has a canoe dolly that I've used with pretty good success.  At least up to 8x8 16 ft long.  Wrap  it with a motorcycle tie down strap.

VictorH

I've always thought a carpet cart would work well.

knowslittle

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
    I can see how the small-wheeled carts would work great on a concrete pad, but perhaps the larger tired units might be best on uneven terrain, as Will mentioned.
   I've actually been looking at the game carts, and Bass Pro is on my list to go visit. I would think a counterweight would be the trick for a one-man operation.
   Thank you all for your time! 

bob

Thank You Sponsors!