iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making a deer food plot and garden with different implements

Started by glassman_48, July 23, 2017, 03:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassman_48

I had a neighbor come over this spring and with a hydraulic 10' wide disc, he disc'd up a 40 yard by 75 yard food plot, then he used a spreader to seed then he set his disc at 1" deep and buried the rye and clover seeds, it worked pretty good.  Then another neighbor came over to my fenced in orchard 100' by 150' and used a 7' wide 3 point rototiller for me to start a garden this spring.  I went and purchased a  used 7' wide ferguson finish rototiller and used that to lightly dig up the weeds around my fruit trees in the fenced in area.  Two years ago we disc'd up that area before planting fruit trees.  The finish rototiller worked pretty good but now I am trying to use the finish rototiller on an area never disc'd up, I tried a 6'wide 3 point disc and with no weight its not cutting up the weeds enough, I hit the area 5 times with the finish rototiller and its not good enough yet.  If I used a plow first then the disc would the finish rototiller be enough then, or should I just go borrow a good 3 point rototiller again?  I don't want to purchase a plow if I don't need it and I don't like borrowing stuff.  I don't know if the 6' disc will chop up the soil well enough after using a plow.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks in advance

gspren

I'm trying to picture a "finish" rototiller. What's the difference to a regular rototiller? Maybe forward versus reverse tine rotation.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

glassman_48

smaller tines and more of them and closer together, it does not chew up sod well, I borrowed a neighbors regular tiller tonight and tomorrow I will hit it again with the finish tiller and see if there is a difference. 

Thank You Sponsors!