iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest Door

Started by Texas Ranger, April 03, 2008, 11:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

3-0 x 6-8 mahogany made for beveled glass insert.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

flip

Nice door.  Where is it going? 
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Texas Ranger

My doors stay, mostly, in Texas.  This is an interior door in Beaumont, Texas.

WDH

Very beautiful!  If this DanG conference call would end, I would come over and help you ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

crtreedude

What kind of mahogany is that?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Texas Ranger

Two kinds, Fred, one is cepo (phoenetic) I think that is the light one, an then a darker red.

scsmith42

Very sharp!  Have you ever made a door out of a single slab of wood?  Thanks to the Captain, I will soon have a new slabber and am wondering if door slabs might be a potential product to market...

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

I'd think there would be to much chance of warp, cup, etc for a door made from one piece. I would be interested in seeing you experiment though.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

flip

Can't tell from the pick but what kind of cope and stick set did you use?  Been looking at a few for the shaper but can't decide on which one(s) I like.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Texas Ranger

Freud makes a set for $250.  The only problem is I have bought two sets, and both had to be replaced, the good news is they did so with no argument.  They are supposedly commercial grade, but they failed on the first job, so far, the last two have held up.  They are adjustable from 1 3/4 to 1 1/2, makes it handy.  I have it combined with a dedicated mortiser  and it makes a very strong joint.

Larry

I like this door along with all the other doors you have shown over the years.  Do you ever build veneer or maybe laminated doors?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

All the doors are solid wood, mahogany, cedar, oak, knotty pine.  I did one job where I made 15 doors for a house next county over, the front and back doors were double 4 x 8's, the interior doors all had translucent glass panels.  Lots of light, and still "modest".

metalspinner

QuoteI have it combined with a dedicated mortiser  and it makes a very strong joint.

Nice looking door.   8)

What size M&T do you use along with the cope and stick? Will the glass insert be the double glazed type for energy efficiency?  Can these be ordered to size?  Have you made sets with the side lights?

My wife has started dropping hints that she wants a new front door.  Maybe I should start dropping hints that I need a shaper. ;)

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

It's nice Tex. Do you ever bookmatch the stiles?

DO you get your mahogany at a local supplier or order it mail/internet? Not asking the name of your source, just in general.

Asking because I might have to start using some regularly and have never shopped around for it, and don't really know much about the species. .
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Texas Ranger

What size M&T do you use along with the cope and stick? Will the glass insert be the double glazed type for energy efficiency?  Can these be ordered to size?  Have you made sets with the side lights?

5/8's running full width of the rail, less one inch to conceal it at the end of the stile.  Glass inserts run from single thickness beveled to a combination of glass, even one that is more or less bullet proof (storm proof).  We build to size.  full entry ways with side lights and transoms. Have two entry ways on the list now.  Working by myself I can turn out a door (simple door) a day, up to weeks with a full transom. 

Textimbers, no, no book match yet, wood comes in from import yard in Houston, and we have to be very selective to get wood that will work for us.  Has been running about $40 for a 2x6x10, rough.

SwampDonkey

Another nice door from nature's treasures. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

getoverit

I dotn know why, but I get all intimidated when it comes to even trying to build a door. I'm impressed with the GREAT woodworking AND the nice looking door too!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Dave Shepard

Quote from: getoverit on April 06, 2008, 06:18:28 PM
I dotn know why, but I get all intimidated when it comes to even trying to build a door. I'm impressed with the GREAT woodworking AND the nice looking door too!

Why? Don't know where to attach the strings? ;D

I am very impressed by all the woodworking on here, whether it's doors, tables or musical instruments. 8)

I myself am about to repair a piece of furniture with a cordless drill, some sheetrock screws and some rough sawn pine 1x3's. No photographic evidence is forthcoming.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawmilllawyer

Dave, sounds like a good ideal. LOL!!!
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!