iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good books

Started by northwoods1, December 14, 2010, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Anybody read one lately?

I did a search of the archives for a book thread and came up with nothing ???

ely

i have spent the past year only reading steven king. i sorta got hooked on his writing.
i also read a book by frederick gerstacker, not spelt correctly. it is about his travels in this country back in history. he was an adventurer and expert deer killer. ;D

SwampDonkey

I have a few good books here. But, a couple are of local interest and history of early NB guide outfitters. The others are books on "The Bay" and one about the life of one of our Prime Ministers during the Kennedy years. They didn't get along. :D

The two NB books have some stuff that includes some family members. You can't get these off Amazon unless used, nor "The Bay" ones.

The first one is "Men of the Autumn Woods" and a recent release is "Beyond the Trodden Path". Both by Gerry Parker. These are books on history that is never told in schools. Only a small volume of these get printed, but they are nice books with lots of photos and tales of the times.  :)

I like the story about "Tommy the Moose" in one of them. He was a tamed moose John Connell used to ride and haul sleds with. ;D

And in the new one the stories about the salt licks here in the deep woods and early wildlife photography. Some photography is in a museum up in northern Michigan University from an old senator who used to come here around 1900-1905. I mean most of his photography would be of Michigan, but he also explored Ontario and NB. ;) I use the word 'explore' loosely, as it was the old guides that did the exploring.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Busy Beaver Lumber

I am currently reading "The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Investing 2010 Edition" written by Jason Kelly. Very informative and very easy to understand with lots of charts to reinforce the written text.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

H60 Hawk Pilot

My Favortite Book is Glacier Pilot

The book is about Bush Pilot's that flew in Alaska in the 30's to the 50's, they were a special breed of men.

When I came home from Vietnam I was planning to be Bush Pilot. I went to a Aircraft Mechanic school and got my FAA Airframe & Powerplant license. Anyay... along the way... I fell in love and never went to Alaska to live out my dream (Bush Pilot).  I missed one of my big dream's in life because.... I never got married to the gal either and lost on both sides of the coin flip.  

One of the my favorite written items from the book was a poem from a little Eskimo girl (wrote for homework). She wrote about one of the most famous Bush Pilot's with the last name of Gilliam.

She wrote... Gilliam, Crash'm, and Spill'm but No Kill'm... Gilliam. I still laugh at that little poem and its been over 40 years since I read the Glacier Pilot.

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Onthesauk

Whole series of fiction history novels by Bernard Cornwell, need to read them in order.  I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the Sharpe series, I get 3 new ones for each birthday and Christmas.  Learned more history from fiction then I did in 16 years of school.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

pineywoods

Just finished reading Tom Clancy's "Dead or Alive". Lots of bang bang shootumup, but the overall story is chillingly plausible. How closely the book parallels todays world is down right scary.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Warbird

I am currently reading Ordinary Wolves by Seth Kantner.  It's a great read if you want to know what living in remote Alaska is really like.

In many ways, he had it rougher than I did.  In some ways, he had it easier.

Carpenter

I haven't yet read a Clive Cussler book that I didn't like.  Even though a lot of the story lines are similar, it's a good story line. 
     I read The Walking Drum, several years ago by Louise Lamoire.  Very good book, but leaves it wide open for a sequal, unfortunately he died before it was written. 
     I like to read.  It seems that I don't read as much as I used to though, now that we've got high speed internet.

Samuel

Does it come on DVD?   :D  With 3 young in's, coaching minor hockey 2 nights a week with games and tournaments every weekend, a full time job during the day and my consulting business by night...who has time to read.   :D

Self inflicted I know...
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Raider Bill

Just finishing up Ayn Rands "The Fountainhead"

Pineywoods, is that his new one?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

northwoods1

Quote from: ely on December 14, 2010, 06:48:36 PM
i have spent the past year only reading steven king. i sorta got hooked on his writing.
i also read a book by frederick gerstacker, not spelt correctly. it is about his travels in this country back in history. he was an adventurer and expert deer killer. ;D

I've read that Gerstacker book about his ramblings and wanderings in the United States. He was a German immigrant. That is a good book. He traveled around in the U.S. in the early 1840s' hunting, trapping, working here and there at all sorts of jobs. It was interesting to read how the U.S. looked to him from a German immigrants eyes at that time. I love to read that kind of book  :) :)

northwoods1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 14, 2010, 07:03:22 PM

And in the new one the stories about the salt licks here in the deep woods and early wildlife photography. Some photography is in a museum up in northern Michigan University from an old senator who used to come here around 1900-1905. I mean most of his photography would be of Michigan, but he also explored Ontario and NB. ;) I use the word 'explore' loosely, as it was the old guides that did the exploring.

I've been up to the university there to see the mineral museum. I have the Shiras books on wildlife photography those are interesting to see. He did some of the earliest wild life photography, a lot of it at night from a canoe. If I am not mistaken most of it was done up in the Huron Mountain Club land.

northwoods1

Quote from: beenthere on December 14, 2010, 07:39:13 PM
I've just recently learned that I have a cousin Bill that is a Western writer. One on kindle is
http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Man-Creek/dp/B002JM0ILS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1249429398&sr=1-1

That is neat , he has several interesting looking books published. Good for him. I've never seen what they get for those electronic "kindle" books they are about the same price as a paper/traditonal book ??? ???

northwoods1

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on December 14, 2010, 07:46:49 PM
I am currently reading "The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Investing 2010 Edition" written by Jason Kelly. Very informative and very easy to understand with lots of charts to reinforce the written text.

Going to be doing some stock investing? :) I have most of my money invested in land there is very little risk in that at least that is the way I have it figured. The stock market is an interesting thing though, I think most people have to little a knowledge of how that works and our economy in general really. :-\

RynSmith

I'm getting The Collector: David Douglas and the Natural History of the Northwest for Christmas (think Douglas-fir) and am looking forward to reading that...

northwoods1

Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on December 14, 2010, 08:17:45 PM
My Favortite Book is Glacier Pilot

The book is about Bush Pilot's that flew in Alaska in the 30's to the 50's, they were a special breed of men.

When I came home from Vietnam I was planning to be Bush Pilot. I went to a Aircraft Mechanic school and got my FAA Airframe & Powerplant license. Anyay... along the way... I fell in love and never went to Alaska to live out my dream (Bush Pilot).  I missed one of my big dream's in life because.... I never got married to the gal either and lost on both sides of the coin flip.  

I read that book too  :) , and many similar , it was about the same with me I wanted to be a bush pilot also :) that or a big game guide preferably both :D
it wasn't all a pipe dream though I did actually take some flying lessons. Enough to be able to see that there was no way I was ever going to be a bush pilot in this lifetime. You would have had to have been in the military just to get the required hours of experience it seemed to me :D

northwoods1

Quote from: Onthesauk on December 14, 2010, 09:18:05 PM
Whole series of fiction history novels by Bernard Cornwell, need to read them in order.  I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the Sharpe series, I get 3 new ones for each birthday and Christmas.  Learned more history from fiction then I did in 16 years of school.

I like good historical fiction that can be real entertaining reading , and educational at the same time :D

I have always liked Kenneth Roberts , he was extremely knowledgeable about what he was writing about most of it 18th century America , the Revolutionary War period etc. . For more recent history I have read Stewart Edward White , Zane Grey , Jack London they all write about the out of doors could create seemingly real life characters with the written word alone.

northwoods1

Quote from: pineywoods on December 14, 2010, 11:17:44 PM
Just finished reading Tom Clancy's "Dead or Alive". Lots of bang bang shootumup, but the overall story is chillingly plausible. How closely the book parallels todays world is down right scary.

Tom Clancy is great , I liked the movie Hunt For Red October . He has written a lot of good books :)

northwoods1

Quote from: Warbird on December 15, 2010, 12:05:26 AM
I am currently reading Ordinary Wolves by Seth Kantner.  It's a great read if you want to know what living in remote Alaska is really like.

In many ways, he had it rougher than I did.  In some ways, he had it easier.

ha ha , nice to see so many good book suggestions! I love it. Have you ever read the book by Heimo Korth called The Last Frontiersman? I read it last fall. He was the last person allowed to homestead up in the ANWR reserve. He was a greenhorn when he got up there and learned some lessons the very hard way. He was from here where I live. Must be something in the water around here , lots of wisconsinites seem to end up in AK. , maybe because they are used to the cold! -23 f here this morning.

northwoods1

Quote from: Carpenter on December 15, 2010, 12:12:22 AM

I like to read.  It seems that I don't read as much as I used to though, now that we've got high speed internet.

I know exactly what you mean :D .... I use to read a LOT more before the days of the internet and when I had no TV :D I'll always be a big reader though , I mean everything a person ever wants to know is in a book somewhere. Of course it is on google too... I still like traditional paper books ;) always will.

pineywoods

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 15, 2010, 10:43:10 AM

Tom Clancy is great , I liked the movie Hunt For Red October . He has written a lot of good books :)

If you liked the movie, you'd love the book. DanG movie left out half the book.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

In 1905, guide and outfitter Adam Moore hosted Shiras at the Rocky Brook lick and Don Dickey from California was also a photographer at the lick in the 1920's also hosted by Moore. This was up in the head waters of the Tobique River. Got a photo here where the fellas at the camp on Nictau Lake have caught a baby moose abandoned by it's mother. Nictau Lake is the head of the Tobique. Fires wiped out most camps over the years up in that area. I've got a photo in the book showing 8 camps there plus others just out of view. It was a big spread. What camps survived the test of time were taken away when the Mount Carleton Park was established in the 1960's. Expropriation was common around that time and decade earlier for hydroelectric development.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 15, 2010, 10:43:10 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on December 14, 2010, 11:17:44 PM

One of my all time favorites is Red Storm Rising by Clancy. I do not like his series books which are co written.

How about WEB Griffin?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 15, 2010, 10:29:57 AM
Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on December 14, 2010, 07:46:49 PM

Going to be doing some stock investing? :) I have most of my money invested in land there is very little risk in that at least that is the way I have it figured. The stock market is an interesting thing though, I think most people have to little a knowledge of how that works and our economy in general really. :-\
Northwoods

I have been investing in the stock market for over 20 years and have done fairly well with it. Most of my early effort involved a lot of manual research and seat time at the library trying to select good candidates to invest in. Over the past decade or so, most brokerages and some on-line sources have developed "Stock Screener" software that allows you to do the same research in a fraction of the time it used to take to do it manually. The let you define what criteria you want to search the stocks for based on multiple conditions you define. History has proven that stocks that meet certain criteria are statistically more likely to go up in value than those that do not meet certain criteria. I am constantly reading to further refine my search criteria and tweek it as best I can based on the knowledge and experience of other successful traders and experts.

Don't get em wrong, I agree with you that real estate has proven to be a good investment over time and I do own that as well, plus I buy and sell machinery when the rich deals come along.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!