iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I have spent about 3 hours a day making sure we are ready in out medium sized town for and influx of patients, and the possibility we could get a patient positive for the virus.  I hope this can address the facts, as we know them, and am including an article of our drill/run through yesterday.

Hutchinson Regional prepares for Coronavirus - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Hopefully this topic will remain "clean" of any political language and can remain here for our general conversation and updates.  no_no

We now have our first "confirmed" case in Mississippi so I suppose that it is not a matter of if, but when.  I am hopeful that our normal hygiene and avoidance will lessen our chances of contacting this virus.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Yes, good hand washing and common sense if dealing with someone with a cough and flu like symptoms.  Most people would survive this virus, but if 1/2 of our hospital workers had to be quarantined, it would shut down healthcare for our community.  Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JJ

I have been notified by my company, anybody who can work from home must work from home by VPN until March 31.   I am going to save a lot of gas not commuting.

They have also closed the lunchroom and factory buildings to only manufacturing personnel.  They are afraid if somebody on the manufacturing floor gets sick, they will quarantine everybody who works with them and factory will have to shut down if there are not enough people to run it.   
We make semi-conductors, so the factory floor is class-1 clean-room; full bunny suits, HV laminar air flow, and sub-um hepa-filters.   Pretty much the safest place to be to avoid a virus.

My daughter is in the UNH marching band, and she was going to Dublin Ireland to march in St. Paddies day parade, but its all canceled now (was to fly on Saturday).   She is pretty bummed but ok about it.  

My BIL and his wife flew over to Ireland yesterday, I am pretty sure they are stuck now unless they can get to the UK for the flight back.

JJ

doc henderson

we have the ability to use telemedicine even if the pt. is 20 feet away by computer.  I would not like the idea as it would make the pt. feel like a leper  .  another consideration is toddlers.  in theory if someone  is suspect, they will have no visitors.  with children, we will let a parent in but in PPE.  mask and gown, gloves and handwashing.  they will have been exposed anyway.  fortunately, not many children are getting the disease.  Fear is driving down the stock market.  We are trying to avoid unnecessary collateral damage.

Ljohnsaw

Did you mean to misspell Corona in the title?  Auto correct?  So your "Hutchinson News" "Covering the better part of Kansas".  Who covers the worser part? :D

Let's keep this one non-political so all can read and get information!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Wood Shed

doc henderson,

Thank you for mentioning this topic from a professional perspective.  My wife and I have worked in healthcare all of our lives (over 40 years).  Knowing this has just become part of the drill for health care workers makes us just roll our eyes when we see the media hype.  Since the emergence of HIV in the early 80's there have been at least 87 emerging human pathogens some new and some not so new.  Thankfully new technology like PCR has helped scientist identify these RNA viruses which is the first step in combating them.  Not to say they are all viruses.

Rest assured that health care professionals will be prepared to provide state of the art care if you do get sick.  We will not be staying at home.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

doc henderson

doc henderson

If you notice the crown on the bottle of the beer of the same name.  corona means crown and the electron micrograph of this virus is thought to look like a crown.  

doc henderson

Jeff

This was sent by my primary care giver.

The problem with the media coverage on Coronavirus is that we now have two extreme views.....the sky is falling vs it's no big deal.  As with so many things in life, the truth is much closer to the middle.  Don't write this off as being "nothing worse than regular flu".  This is more lethal than flu for those patients that end up with moderate or greater disease.  Also, you can't legitimately compare the numbers right now because we are still barely testing and access to testing will still be quite limited for weeks to come. Key points to remember are most will have mild symptoms or no symptoms,  but you can still readily transmit to others.  Average viral shedding time based on current data is 20 days, with a range of 8 to 37 days.  Cough, fever, and chills are primary symptoms.  Shortness of breath is a more ominous sign requiring medical evaluation.  10% or fewer patients have GI symptoms of nausea,  vomiting or diarrhea and that tends to precede the other hallmark respiratory symptoms.  Children and all other age ranges can become ill or suffer seriouscomplications, but is less common in younger patients. Being Male, 65 or older, having co-morbid conditions like Hypertension and Diabetes,  chronic respiratory conditions,  or autoimmune disease or cancer puts you at higher risk for more serious illness and complications.  Antibiotic treatment is not effective at all against viral illness, so don't call or seek that out.  Tamiflu and other antiviral medication has not proven to help either.  Call your doctor's office if you have questions before just showing up with flu-like symptoms.  Wear a mask if you are the one coughing,  but wearing a mask will not likely protect you if someone else is coughing around you unless it was a properly sized and fitted mask.  Most importantly,  don't go to school,  work or other public gatherings if you have traveled recently via air or other public modes of transport and have suspicious symptoms or a known exposure.  If you bothered to read all of this, then sincerely, thanks for your time.
Kurt
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RichTired

Doc/Jeff, 
    Guys thanks for the info. Common sense and a little organization of facts on what to do and not do goes a long way. 
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

thecfarm

As Magicman, we have a confirmed in Androgggin County,I heard Lewiston. At least I'm on the other end of the County. But still one hour away. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Here is a recent podcast with Michael Osterholm on Joe Rogan's channel. And the guy has credentials.

Joe Rogan Experience #1439 - Michael Osterholm - YouTube

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Ianab

Tom Hanks goes viral, sparking concerns of coronavirus trail through Sydney | Stuff.co.nz

So Tom Hanks is in Australia to shoot a movie, and has been "out and about", without knowing he was infected.  He's OK, and has now isolated himself for the ~2 weeks, but could have accidentally infected a dozen more people around Sydney. 

So far NZ has been lucky, only 5 confirmed cases, none serious, and the "self isolation" of anyone potentially exposed seems to be working. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

just got back from Wal-Mart.  this is a view of the toilet paper Isle!

oh crap!  I almost always have a full case in my shop.

Southside

Sam's Club, 3:00 PM on a Wednesday. Stock was good on the shelf, but every checkout line was 20 deep and the line to get out of the door was all the way back to the lunch counter.  Normally I would see 10 people at most at all of the check out lines combined. Always several self scans with nobody there. Parking lot was gridlock when I left. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

clearcut

Disneyland is closed until April. 

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Jeff

I raked a bunch of my yard today. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brucer

First of all, thanks to doc henderson for restarting this discussion where more people can read it.

There is a wealth of factual information at the link sprucebunny lists on post #6. I've been tracking the numbers there since mid-January. If you click on the link that says "Case Graphs" you'll get all sorts of information about the course of the disease.

The run on TP is plain silly. That's one commodity where the manufacturers and vendors know exactly how much is going to be used each day, so they usually stock the shelves using a Just-in-Time model. That works fine until a few people panic and clear the shelves. Then everyone else panics and buys up the stuff as soon as the shelves are re-stocked. We bought an extra couple of weeks  supply which we'll keep in reserve.

Our prime minister's wife has the virus after attending a charity even in the UK, attended by 12,000 people. Going to something like that these days is definitely not a good idea.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Must be a lot of folks going into the caves for a few months. :D Why anyone would think TP supply would be cut off I'll never understand. They make the stuff 100 miles from here, not Asia. :D Food stuff would be #1 priority for me, I can't eat paper. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!