Restoring 288 year old barn

Started by AKsteelhead, April 01, 2021, 02:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKsteelhead

Hello,
I know there is a lot of barn enthusiasts on here. Below is a YouTube link I thought would be of interest. It appears to be a father son duo restoring a 288 year old barn. They have about six videos on this project. They are well done and shows some interesting techniques on timber framing.

If web link doesn't work search: How to restore an ancient barn roof part one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gapwyG4d8UM

flyingparks

Really, really cool. Thanks for the link. 8)

Mad Professor

Thanks for sharing the link.

Some very nice modern tools for TF.

Would be interesting to see how original builders did the same work?

DonW

Quote from: Mad Professor on May 06, 2021, 10:25:11 PM

I've seen one French film and they use augers and chisel - kind of sorrowful seeing the undersized chisel in this youtube version - to mortise, bow saw and adze for tenons and auger for the draw bore. It's notable and respectable that the ones in this film made actual draw bores rather than drilling mortise and tenon pins hole in one go, it takes significant more time and effort to do it right. A big difference with the French version is that one was scribed. 
Another even more archaic tool for mortises  is piochon, or in German, kreuzaxt.
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Don P

Neat series, I haven't made it all the way through yet.
Haven't cross checked but the English for that mortising axe would be a twibill I believe, or a besaigue(sp?) in France.

DonW

I think you are right about twybill. I've seen a 16th century poem by Ben Johnson that mentions the, " carpenters twybill ".  The confusion in the English context is the name has become associated with a similar looking one handed thrust tool of the hurdle maker so you'd be hard pressed using twybill to find the tool of the carpenter. 
Bisiague is also a spinoff of the original twybill - twybill is from German meaning something close to double axe - not for swinging but also thrusting, more like a big paring and mortise chisel in one with a lot of leverage and mass to it. It's more for dressing or cleaning up a mortise once it's been drilled. Carpenter's twybill, on the other hand is used to both chop and dress a mortise.

DonW

Kruezaxt I from on Vimeo.
" /> here I am years back going at it with a twybil on a wholly inadequate staging. A short demo only giving a look at initiating a mortise with these tentative chops, which increase with the depth until you are going full force with the big swings followed by the clean up. Typically the mortises are not deep but I can manage up to ten centimeters before reaching the limits of the the bit.

Mad Professor

Quote from: DonW on May 06, 2021, 11:05:08 PM
Quote from: Mad Professor on May 06, 2021, 10:25:11 PM

I've seen one French film and they use augers and chisel - kind of sorrowful seeing the undersized chisel in this youtube version - to mortise, bow saw and adze for tenons and auger for the draw bore. It's notable and respectable that the ones in this film made actual draw bores rather than drilling mortise and tenon pins hole in one go, it takes significant more time and effort to do it right. A big difference with the French version is that one was scribed.
Another even more archaic tool for mortises  is piochon, or in German, kreuzaxt.
yes, kind of surprised with all the fancy new powered stuff they didn't have decent slick for paring away wood

DonW

I guess the barn is probably in Portugal where the slick was not known and hardly available and these workers British where slicks are unfamiliar. Slicks are only in the American way. 

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Mad Professor

Quote from: DonW on May 07, 2021, 05:05:32 PM
I guess the barn is probably in Portugal where the slick was not known and hardly available and these workers British where slicks are unfamiliar. Slicks are only in the American way.
Yet they have every sort of powered gadgetry unknown to me.

firefighter ontheside

The next video is up.  They are in France.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DonW

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed