Exposed pine roots

Started by kelLOGg, May 04, 2021, 07:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

We have a large (33" dbh) SYP many of whose roots are exposed out to as far as 75' from the trunk; some of the smaller ones have died and some are high enough above the ground surface that they get hit by the mower. They have emerged from the ground in about the last 5 to 10 years. The tree has no dead needles, very few small dead branches so it appears healthy to me. The soil does not appear to be eroding although the grass is not very dense around some of the roots. What does this indicate and what could/should be done about it? The roots can be a trip hazard so it would be nice if they weren't there but I am reluctant to remove them if they are viable or cover them with topsoil if erosion is not the problem.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Texas Ranger

Hard to say from picture, but, would indicate a hardpan in the soil.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TroyC

I have a couple exactly like that in a small field. Picture made me do a doubletake. Definitely a hard pan under mine.

kelLOGg

Why would it appear so late in the tree life? We have lived here 38 years.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

tawilson

You said it hits the mower. Are you raking up the pine needles each year? They turn to dirt eventually. 
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

kelLOGg

No raking.
I have old (7 years) sawdust and wood chips near the mill that have roots from nearby trees growing in them. Would it be a good idea to spread that over the exposed roots or should I opt for top soil?

Southside

Shifting of the poles is likely the cause.   ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DixieReb31

I have similar problems with pine tree roots and mower.  I took my side grinder and a chainsaw disc and shaved the root s down.  Seems to be working fine.  Doesn't appear to have harmed the trees.  I did many of them.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

firefighter ontheside

I have the same thing.  I have a lobl olly in my  back yard that is about 36" dbh and it has the same roots.  Some of them do get scalped by the mower, but the tree looks as healthy as ever.  I can't explain why they appeared recently, other than to say that roots grow just like the tree.  As the roots have gotten  bigger, perhaps they have now broken through the surface.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

bluthum

Natural systems are unpredictable due to the countless variables but I'd expect cutting or scalping those exposed roots will decrease that trees life. Disease loves open wounds and the trees count on the roots for nutrient transport. 

I like the idea of covering them with either soil or mulch, I'd guess it wouldn't matter which.