iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pick-up truck bed liners and other ?s

Started by OneWithWood, March 15, 2005, 11:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

I know it depends on what you are useing the truck for.
Insurance here is cheaper if you have a flatbed. Most of us take the factory bed off and either sell it or put it up somewhere ( someone already mentioned this).
Then you can add under toolboxes, a headache rack, gooseneck coupler. side rails to tie to, etc.
Have you been a good nuff boy to deserve a truck like yer gettin?
  ;)
Haytrader

OneWithWood

Thanks for all the great replies :)

A winch is definately on the to get list. I have a mile marker 11,500# on the old beater F250, which I am keeping for the excursions into the woods, firewood hauling, and all those beater truck chores.  I have not had good luck with the mile marker but I think that has more to do with the undersized power steering pump and the installation than the winch.  The one time I really needed it the engine quit - so I am thinking seriously about going back to a heavy duty electric unit - definately with a self aligning fair lead.  However, I have not ruled out another mile marker.  I know DanG swears by his.

Haytrader,
I can honestly say I have been a very good boy and richly deserve this toy :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ScottAR

What model is the old Ford?  I know napa and carquest have a kit to convert the ford pump to a saginaw pump, the "canned ham" style.  It's about $90 or so...  You'll probably have to get the old hand at the store to open a catalog and find the part#.  It comes with a bracket to mount the pump, a pump, and hoses and fittings to hook it up.  IMO, chevy PS pumps and alternators were the only things they got right.   ;) :D

Unless you have an old time parts place, the kid isn't gonna know what to do when you say catalog...   ::)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Minnesota_boy

Another accessory I really like is a wide nylon strap for pulling the 4X4 and sawmill out when it won't go any further.  It seem faster to get a 4X4 tractor to hook up and pull me out than to stretch the winch cable the other 6" or 6' to reach the nearest tree.  I use a 4" wide strap and if the tractor driver takes it easy it won't break, and if he gets a little quick on the start, it won't break either.  8) 8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

etat

I got an easy fix to keep stuff from sliding around in that plastic bed liner.  Have one tool box mounted. Keep one bucket of roofing Tar or Kool Patch for emergencies or simple repairs.  A couple of airlines.  Several boxes of one inch roofing nails and one box of one and three quarters inch roofing nails. A small air compressor.  One small estimate ladder that will slide under the toolbox and over the tailgate and a strap to hold it down.  Usually a bundle or two or pieces of a bundles, assorted colors for repair work.  Maybe a few rolls of ridge vent as needed.  Other assorted supplies as needed on a daily basis.  A long wheel base is a absolute necessity.  I had a heck of a time even finding a extended cab long wheelbase with  single rear wheels  3/4 ton. In my case the single rear Axel is a necessity for pulling a trailer in and around trees or landscaping or close to a house.  I've seen more than one fender cracked or knocked off on a dual tire rear end. Anyway,   Stuff will NOT move around in that bed but you have to rearrange things pretty often.  Mostly daily.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

OneWithWood

Scott, the old Ford is a '86 F250.  When I start making payments on the new one I will be hard pressed to put anymore than gas in the old one  :D

M_boy, I carry two 12' nylon tow straps that I use as you suggest and to wrap around trees so I can attach the winch hook without damage to the tree.

Only two weeks to go until I take delivery - I hope  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

dewwood

OWW,

Congratulations on the new truck it sounds like a real nice one.  You did not state if this was a Sunday go to meeting truck or a work truck, I assume it is a work truck.  For a work truck I like the flatbed as mentioned above.  It offers much more flexibility, you can put underbed toolboxes on them and add any type of hitch arrangement you want but the most important thing is you can load and unload lumber with a loader or forklift.  You can also use it as a combination unit to pull a trailer and increase the size of your payload.  For the type of operation you have it would be real handy.  If you go with a flatbed most truck places that install them can also do the toolboxes and hitches.

The only drawback  :) to that is the boss might not want to go for rides or trips in a work truck.

Anyway have fun with the new big boy tool.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Thank You Sponsors!