iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame workshops in Western Canada

Started by rbowie, October 24, 2012, 03:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbowie

I'm new to the timber framing world and I'm looking to learn as much as I can from the people who know what they're doing.  I was wondering if anyone knows of introductory courses available in western Canada or even Montana or Idaho that I could attend to get my feet wet.  I'm in Calgary, Alberta.

Ultimately I would like to build my own timber frame structures, including a workshop, horse shelter and cabin. 

Any information would be welcome.

I would also like to say that the wealth of information on this forum is amazing and I truly appreciate all that put the time in to contribute.  It would be a shame to lose the experience shared amongst the members.
1 Sawhorse in and the addiction has begun

Jim_Rogers

In Idaho is Collin Beggs, but I don't see classes on his website, so I don't know if he's doing them now or not.

You could ask:
http://idframes.com/

If you do ask, tell him I sent you.
If he isn't doing them then, please post it here so we know.

Good luck,

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

losttheplot

There is a school on Gabriola Island, BC.
www.logandtimberschool.com

There is a building here on Mudge Island that was built at the school as a course project. One of the students owns property here and purchased the frame at the end of the class.

I have no information on the quality of the school or the instructors.

Good luck.
LTP.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

rbowie

Hi Jim;

Collin Beggs got back to me regarding his Hand Tool Timber Frame Workshop he has been running for the past few years.  He indicated he plans on running a workshop again this year in late spring/summer but hasn't finalized the dates yet. 

The workshop is held in Sandpoint ID.

Richard
1 Sawhorse in and the addiction has begun

Mylesfromnowhere

Check out the College of the Rockies in Cranbrook, B.C.
I believe that they have a 13 week course, held twice a year, and a 6 day workshop
which is held once a year.

Myles
Not a soul in sight, oh yeah, but its alright.

Thank You Sponsors!