iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Motor oil

Started by GTP, May 31, 2018, 10:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTP

I'm new to FF and new to bandmilling. Thanks for all the great information on the site.  I am getting close to time to change oil in my 35.5hp Yanmar and was just wondering what motor oil you use.  thanks gtp.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have the Yanmar 35.9. By all means look in your manual for the correct oil or call Yanmar and give them the serial number and they will tell you.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Any of the good diesel motor oils would work, I like the Rotella Synthetic.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GTP

I've used Rotella for years in my other equipment but have not tried the synthetic.  I'm thinking about staying with the Rotella, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a go to oil for the Yanmar.  thanks for the info!

Southside

Usually I am of the belief that most of the commodity products are pretty much all the same, but there is something about Rotella that makes it stand above the rest, I use it in all of my diesel equipment and consumption is basically zero. For reference most of my heavy iron is from the '90's and my pickup has over 400,000 on it, so nothing is shinny and new. Good oil for sure. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Rotella T6 synthetic👍
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

GTP,welcome to the forum.
What kind of mill ya got?  Must saw for others?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GTP

thefarm- I've got a LT40 wide with the 35hp diesel, it was delivered in march but I've only put a few hours on it.  Love it so far.  I cut timber off my place for anyone needing it.  So far I've only cut SYP and nothing big, my biggest cut so far is 21" SYP, no where near what the mill will cut.  Not to sure I want to see that log on my mill, a 34" log seems big.  I'm used to tie cuts. Cutting timber is my choice of therapy for dealing with "the real world", :D. It just seems to make everything better.  

mike_belben

"Rimula" is the fleet version of rotella... Its the same stuff as whats in the rotella pail except for about $2/per gallon less marketing cost passed on to the consumer.  It is only sold at fleet supply lube warehouses in pails and drums which is why you never heard of it.  

By the walmart gallon i just run delo 15/40 in everything. I dont change the oil in my truck anymore since i put on a 5micron bypass filter.  Just change filters and top up.  It consumes about a gallon per 2000 miles so there is always new makeup oil.  

IMO, clean and free of water/coolant is a lot more important than any other aspect.  And 15/40 is a pretty sturdy grade in terms of bearing wedge pressure.  I have never ever spun a bearing in anything in all my life.  Ive owned atleast 100 four strokes.  
Praise The Lord

CCCLLC

What is the best way to drain the oil on the Yanmar 35.9 hp? I've got the lt40, the drain plug is pointed to the side, which will put oil on everything when plug is removed. Thinking about an add - on  elbow after oil is out first time.

Southside

Put an oil pan on the ground then tip the mill on it's side over the pan, this way the oil will fall straight into the pan and not make a mess.   :D  Seriously, I am surprised they did not include one of the hose drain extensions, kind of a no-brainer.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Runningalucas

I used to use Rotella; the truck I drive by choice, is an older Ford IDI.  Now, unbeknownst to me, that engine, eats Rotella.  You can read across many a forum on this; the IDI eats it up fairly fast.  When I ran Rotella, I had to add oil often. 

Due to this, I switched over to a Delo 15-40, and don't have to add oil.  I'm getting ready to change the oil again now, and have decided to just go with the Ford motorcraft 15-40. 

The main oil rings in these engines have a decent gap in them; so the oil gets dirtied fast; I just keep the service intervals around 3,000 to 4,000 miles. 

Also, a lot of the truck guys run a little MMA along with the oil; swear by it in keeping sludge down. 

Aside from that, make sure you get a decent filter; they're not all created equal.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Southside

What is MMA? I use Lucas and swear by the stuff.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

PA_Walnut

Quote from: GTP on June 01, 2018, 01:12:12 PMthefarm- I've got a LT40 wide with the 35hp diesel, it was delivered in march but I've only put a few hours on it.  Love it so far.  I cut timber off my place for anyone needing it.  So far I've only cut SYP and nothing big, my biggest cut so far is 21" SYP, no where near what the mill will cut.  Not to sure I want to see that log on my mill, a 34" log seems big.  I'm used to tie cuts. Cutting timber is my choice of therapy for dealing with "the real world", . It just seems to make everything better.

Welcome to the forum and the "Wide mill sickness".

I have the same mill and use Rotella T6 in mine. Works like a champ. (actually, I think any good quality oil, regularly changed is ok). 
On cutting 34" wide, don't use a turbo7 since it'll give you grief on a full width cuts, and also after you measure and position your log, push your blade guide in an inch or so. This way in case you get hung-up, you have an "abort position" 

Get 1/2 way through a cut and getting your blade guides stuck on the log is NO FUN. (ask me how I know!!?) :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

climber2

The only way to know if you are using the correct oil is by actually reading your owner manual or, as stated in this thread, consult the engine manufacturer with your serial number.
Either way you will find an engine oil spec, not viscosity, that the oil must meet based on the year of manufacture of the engine. 
This is super important to follow anymore due to exhaust after treatment devices mandated by our government.
After you find that spec, you will likely find several viscosities that are suitable based on time of year (ambient temperature). This also is important as engine damage can result from the oil being too thick.
Once you discover all that, when you shop for oil you will notice a vast array of choices. Do your research into the companies and their products. Can you find independent comparisons to competitor oils on their website? Does a particular company try to sway your choice by downplaying others?
Things to consider...

You paid good money for your mill, don't buy cheap oil!
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

Runningalucas

Quote from: Southside logger on June 01, 2018, 11:59:30 PM
What is MMA? I use Lucas and swear by the stuff.  
magic mystery oil.  I've read many folks who've successfully used it to clean out sludge; many 'claim' to have quieted down stuck lifters with use. 
There are many ways people use it, some run it as advertised, continually, some just use it the last however many hours, or miles ran.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

SawyerTed

Read your manual and pick your choice of oil that meets the manufacturer specifications.

I was just reading my manual and saw that the owners manual specifies that the filter be filled with oil and allowed to sit while the filter absorbs the oil.  Haven't normally done this on other small engines.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Larry

Quote from: SawyerTed on June 03, 2018, 02:56:57 PMI was just reading my manual and saw that the owners manual specifies that the filter be filled with oil and allowed to sit while the filter absorbs the oil.  Haven't normally done this on other small engines.
I always do it that way on my Ford 7.3 but with many other engines it is a pain.  I think it is just common sense.

Rotella.  3,800 hours on my one owner tractor.  170,000 miles on my one owner Ford truck.  The tractor doesn't use a drop between oil changes.  The truck, brand new, used a quart every 2,500 miles and has actually gotten better.  I've also used it with many other farm tractors.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!