iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shrimp-N-Grits

Started by Magicman, August 13, 2020, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, it was just time for Shrimp-N-Grits.......again.  food6 food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Aw man, what are doing to perfectly good shrimp? :-\
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Pavlovian response just reading the title! 

The only improvement IMHO would be if they had used "yeller" grits instead of white but that is definitely a personal preference and I would not turn down that plate in your picture. digin_2 

I can't help it that Sawguy has been stranded up in the glaciated north so long doesn't recognize good eating when he sees it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

K-Guy

Since I've never had grits, I'll refrain from commenting on them but I sure miss getting Maine shrimp. The fishery has been closed for 5 years now and we don't know when it will re-open. 

Maine shrimp are the sweetest tasting shrimp I've ever had!
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TroyC

How about lobster and grits?

Ricker

I am no crustacean expert, but I wouldn't eat that lobster.  I think it must have been caught right next to the nuclear power plant.  I have consumed at least a couple, three hundred lobsters in my life, never seen one that looked like that. 

Texas Ranger

TroyC

Ricker, that be a fresh Florida warm water lobster caught just past the 7 Mile Bridge below Marathon. No nuclear plant anywhere near here. They are sweeter and slightly firmer than the northern cold water variety with claws. These don't have claws but real long antennae. They are called spiney lobsters for a reason. Most of them here go 1 1/2 lbs or so. I grill mine mostly.

mike_belben

I delivered firewood and cukes to my buddy yesterday.. He sent me home with a bag of okra.  

Magicman.. I know youve got the recipe off the top of your head.  What do i do with it?
Praise The Lord

Wudman

Quote from: mike_belben on August 26, 2020, 09:23:33 AM
I delivered firewood and cukes to my buddy yesterday.. He sent me home with a bag of okra.  

Magicman.. I know youve got the recipe off the top of your head.  What do i do with it?
Cube it up.....roll it in cornmeal.....and fry it.
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

RichTired

Fried or boiled... Um Um good!!! 
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

WV Sawmiller

We usually rolled it in cornmeal with salt and pepper and fried it. Should be served with fresh field peas and cornbread and a pork chop or a little pork stew cooked with the beans complements the meals just fine. I have eaten it cooked in batter and actually prefer it that way but I don't know how my old mentor made the batter. Cornmeal is much easier. If you are going to freeze some you can go ahead and meal it and freeze if you like. You can do the same thing with your Catalpa worms for fish bait but don't get the two mixed up come meal time. steve_smiley
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

okra, tomato, onions and shrimp, um um um.

WDH

Take your okra pods and cut them into quarter inch rounds.  Take an egg and add a tablespoon of half and half or cream or even milk.  Beat the egg until homogeneous.  Take a big ziploc bag and add House Autry chicken breader to it and put about a handful of okra in the bag, shake till coated.  Then add the coated okra to a bowl with the egg mixture and stir it around until the okra is coated with the egg mixture.  Put that okra back in the House Autry bag and shake again.  Set this double coated okra on wax paper or foil or a baking sheet.  Repeat until all the okra has been coated, egged, and coated again.  Get your oil hot at 350 degrees and fry until golden brown.  

The egg mixture makes the breader stick like a tick to the okra and when you fry the okra, the oil stays clean and does not burn from particles of breading.  You will be amazed by how clean the oil stays.  So very good!  The House Autry breader is perfectly seasoned so you do not need to add salt after frying.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nativewolf

My favorite by far is to take young okra pods, just a couple of inch's long, and pan fry whole until blackened just a bit on each side.  Don't crowd them, got to keep turning them.  No drench...no cornmeal, super easy and just great taste.

Much better than fried as you get more okra and less fried food taste, they don't get slimy either.   
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Thanks boys, i'll give it a whirl
Praise The Lord

Magicman

I was out of town but I believe that I will stay for Supper.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I'm ready to go eat with Danny. ;D
Howard Green

mike_belben

well youre in luck even the dog didnt want the okra, so theres still plenty in the compost.

the breaded and fried squash and pickles were great but i got something wrong with the okra.  My kid breaded it while i was outside cooking the squash [over a wood fire cuz its crazy hot and we dont have AC] and the batter was real cakey with egg.  Maybe more milk woulda helped thin it.  

We only had regular white flour and werent making a trip to town for corn meal.  The oil was foaming like crazy with the okra and pouring over the sides like i never saw, yet the oil wasnt hot enough to brown the batter so the batter was real cakey and mushy, still white after a long time in the pan.  Not that its easy to regulate heat on wood flames.

I dont mind okra but my batter was inedible.  Fine on pickles and squash though, crisp and crunchy.  No idea what happened.
Praise The Lord

Texas Ranger

Magicman

It's impossible to go wrong with Gumbo!!  thumbs-up

Tonight I had Hot Tamales and Grits.  food6

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!