iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blood Trivia

Started by Magicman, March 23, 2019, 09:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

An average human body has 60,000 miles of blood vessels; they'd stretch around the earth twice if laid end to end. Every day, your heart pumps about 1,800 gallons of blood through your blood vessels. Over the course of a lifetime, this vast system carries about a million barrels of blood throughout the body. From the National Institute on Aging
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

What kind of barrels? Whiskey = 36 gal, Raw Oil = 42 gal, Refined oil = 55 gal.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

GAB

Quote from: LeeB on March 23, 2019, 10:51:49 AM
What kind of barrels? Whiskey = 36 gal, Raw Oil = 42 gal, Refined oil = 55 gal.  :D
1950's maple syrup barrels 31.25 gallons.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

that is why when the arteries begin to get thicker, your blood pressure goes up and when they lose elasticity (hardening of the arteries)  the top number goes up and the bottom down, and makes it easy to get dizzy when you stand. The arteries are designed to expand to absorb and store energy from the heart beat (pulse),  like taking the reciprocal movement of a piston and making it more continuous as rotary,  We hold 5 liters of blood and it moves at 5 liters per minute.  That is why we now use tourniquets and emphasize stopping bleeding.  In medicine we say "all bleeding eventually stops" one way or the other.  you can get a tourniquet on line as well as quick clot material.  Not a bad thing to carry in your car, and you can get certified or watch videos at "stop the bleeding".  This is the new push along with cpr and aed training.  It also talks about active shooter info.
barrel racing barrels are usually 55 gallon.  :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

Thanks for the reminder. I used to meet up with a Navy Captain (Reservist on active duty) dentist for dinner in the DFAC in Bagram Afghanistan. We were about the same age and he was senior enough most of the junior troops were too nervous to sit with him so I'd join him and we'd sit and talk. He was the first one I ever heard say that after telling me about a case on base where a COE soldier got hit in the head with a framing nail (after it passed through his hard hat) and stuck in his skull. They debated whether to leave it or to medivac him out. I think they finally got a crowbar and pulled it out with no particularly ill effects. (Okay - I made that up about the crowbar - y'all probably have a special medical tool for that.)  The Captain stated it as: "All bleeding stops eventually. The goal of the medical community is to make sure the bleeding stops before the heart does." 

I had first thought he meant it would clot and stop till he added the last clarifying statement. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Yes it is meant to have a person(med student) think for a minute and realize it is an emergency.  i have had several nail gun injuries come in with a piece of the construction framing sawz-alled from the building and still nailed to the guy.  And no... we usually are calling maintenance or going out to our trucks to get something to help. But... we have good drugs and are licensed to use them!   smiley_sleeping smiley_mad_crazy smiley_smash smiley_sleeping smiley_thumbsup  a mallet works too.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I guess that is good training for when you are sawing a piece of high value walnut and find a nail and want to be careful to do as little damage to the wood as possible. :D Do you tell your surviving patients you are a woodworker and applied those skills to his case? :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on March 23, 2019, 02:32:09 PM
Yes it is meant to have a person(med student) think for a minute and realize it is an emergency.  i have had several nail gun injuries come in with a piece of the construction framing sawz-alled from the building and still nailed to the guy.  And no... we usually are calling maintenance or going out to our trucks to get something to help. But... we have good drugs and are licensed to use them!   smiley_sleeping smiley_mad_crazy smiley_smash smiley_sleeping smiley_thumbsup  a mallet works too.
Yes, "all bleeding stops eventually" I use this when I teach first aid too. It's in the introductory section where I carefully explain that "air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation is usually not good".
 I had a ped patient one time who was playing in a tree house back in the woods behind his house (why don't more kids do that these days?) anyway, he fell off the ladder and landed on a 2x6 with a ten penny nail sticking out. It went right into his patella. The board was 8 feet long. We dragged a generator into the woods, plugged in a dremel tool and cut the nail off at the board. We had to cool the nail with saline as we cut. Then we could stabilize the nail and transport. Poor kid, but he was a trooper. We never got him to smile or laugh, but he did keep his cool. His Mom however...... :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 23, 2019, 04:20:54 PM.  Do you tell your surviving patients you are a woodworker and applied those skills to his case? :D :D

Most are relieved when I seem to know which end of the hammer to hold.  Most of the old guys are in a hurry cause they need to get home to finish what they were doing.  fish hooks are my favorite, after they are numbed up, goes a lot better.   ;)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on March 23, 2019, 08:02:36 PMMost are relieved when I seem to know which end of the hammer to hold.  Most of the old guys are in a hurry cause they need to get home to finish what they were doing.  fish hooks are my favorite, after they are numbed up, goes a lot better.   ;)
I was one of those guys in a hurry to get back to work. The Doc wanted to put in stitches, I asked for steri-strips so I could get back at it faster and wouldn't have to come back.
 I Love when a Doc can empathize, it's rare. My Chiropractor worked his first career in construction until his back injuries sidelined him, he understands my issues and needs very well. I Love the guy. He wants to see my sawmill. 
 Fish Hooks, yeah, did a bunch, through and through are easy, embedded are not so much out in the field. Once had a fella who presented with a rappela double treble lure, through and through to the ear lobe, the second one was embedded in the neck. Looked like a gaudy earring. He was a good sport, trying to calm his friend that 'did the deed'. I cleared the one in the ear lobe, with my dykes, but could only relieve the weight on the embedded one and stabilize it. That one would hurt a lot out in the field. You can't beat the local anesthetics and they are not in my protocols. They nevr trust EMt's with any of the good drugs. ;D ;D :D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Getting off the original thread but great memories. I remember when I was about 10 y/o making my longest cast of the day with my Zebco 22 (The old one where you pushed the button down and held the multi-colored button and cast) and about a 3' rod with a bomber lure but I kept waiting for the lure to land and it never did. I turned around and it was stuck in my dad's jaw. I just broke down and cried because I knew I was never going to get to go fishing again. My older brother could not pull it but a turkey hunter came out of the woods and Dad got him to pull it out with a pair of slip-joint pliers. Dad always said there was a chunk of bone embedded around the barb.

Skip forward about 25 years to Lake Blackshear near Cordele Ga and I flipped my little beetle spin towards the riprap at the dam and hooked my 65 y/o fishing partner in the ear with both wives present. I told him to be careful as it was my favorite lure which did not seem to set well with him. That one really wasn't that hard to remove but we had a blast laughing at his misfortune and my comments that the lure was more important than parts of his anatomy. (Maybe you had to be there...)
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 23, 2019, 09:08:11 PMI told him to be careful as it was my favorite lure which did not seem to set well with him. That one really wasn't that hard to remove but we had a blast laughing at his misfortune and my comments that the lure was more important than parts of his anatomy. (Maybe you had to be there...)
I love this story, no didn't have to be there, I get it. You reminded me of one of the very few times I went golfing, I don't play golf, but my best friend did and they needed a 4th person for tee time the next morning and called me out of desperation. They told me there would be beer so I went. They seemed a little annoyed when I had the low score after the 9th hole (is that bad or good? I don't know) and when we teed off on the 10th I was about halfway down the fairway waiting for my friend to hit his ball a little behind me but on the other side of the fairway. He shanked it, and it too a weird curve climbing off the ground slowly and hooking in my direction. I tried to jump over the ball, but it caught me squarely in the shin and buried itself. I hit the ground in a lump of quivering pain. As I writhed in agony on the ground he came running over and asked "did you see where my ball went?" The foursome behind us called me an ambulance. I got up and finished the game, but walked funny for two months. Had that hole in my shin plate 2 years. My score got a lot worse after that incident. Fun day.

Thank You Sponsors!