Rant

Started by Peter Drouin, February 10, 2014, 06:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

In SE Montana gas is going for right at $3.00 and road diesel was $3.84
My girlfriend says propane is at $4.55

Allan

SwampDonkey

Locking in prices is about impossible with the Irvings and government setting prices every week. The government just gave them a raise on what they can charge for delivery, they should love that. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

if you buy onroad fuel and use it off road you can apply for the road tax refund from the feds and the state. here if you buy offrd you pay sales tax on it.

landscraper

Yeah $3.689 on Sunday for on road.  My father-in-law, who has been in oil exploration, refining and maritime transportation for close to 40 years, explained it to me a few years back when I asked why diesel prices were now higher than gas when historically they were always lower, and he said it was market elasticity more than the increased ULSD refining costs.  Once the prices spiked after Katrina (an actual but temporary supply shortage), the suppliers saw no reduction in demand, so they knew that the pricing was elastic to at least that level, and they continue to test the elasticity to this day.  After all, what are we going to do - park the trucks?  I'm sure there is more at play than just profiteering.  But, my livelihood is bought and paid for with diesel fuel, and it sickens me to watch those dollars go whirling by on the fuel pump. 

I'm glad I switched my heat over from Propane to an OWB several years ago. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Peter Drouin

When you work for yourself it don't make no difference, on or off road, it's all a right off. With the off road you have the tax money in your pocket, then you give to them at April 15th  :D :D :D :D :D

I know about the [elasticity thing] when my lumber price goes up my wood don't sell  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

$4.29 for on road now. I'm glad I can walk to work and skid my logs from my neighbors right to my mill.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Autocar

I don't like the high prices here it wouldn't bother me so much but a seven mile drive to another town can be forthy cents cheaper then here at home. Its $4.39.9 here and I pretty well pay the same to B.P. to have it delivered to the house. I just can't figure out the price swing.
Bill

loggah

Peter, I got fuel yesterday at the Ashland Mobil and it was $4.06 a gallon , you should have drove a few miles North! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

terrifictimbersllc

$4.49 CT cash price for on-road diesel.   $4.39 at the NY service plazas.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Billbob

Diesel fuel is $5.75 a US gallon here in New Brunswick and the oil refinery is only 150 miles away.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

SwampDonkey

Yeah that cheaper western oil does not transfer to the consumer, only the refiner. Our prices we are paying is set by the utilities board from numbers out of NY.  Still we pay less than many regions in Quebec and Ontario. Around Montreal is an added tax on top. I always buy my gas at Drummondville or Trois Riviers, depending on what side of the river I go up by there.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Billbob

I know.  I could never figure it out.  All I know is that we're on the loosing end!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

thecfarm

I went and brought 10 gallons of off road. It's all I could afford.   :D  DanG jerks and more words too. On road is $4.29 and here's the one that I can't understand,but I do,  :o  off road is $4.20.  ::) Most times it's about 20 cents,or even 30 cents cheaper.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on February 12, 2014, 09:22:57 PM
I went and brought 10 gallons of off road. It's all I could afford.   :D  DanG jerks and more words too. On road is $4.29 and here's the one that I can't understand,but I do,  :o  off road is $4.20.  ::) Most times it's about 20 cents,or even 30 cents cheaper.
that is odd  they don't want you to buy off road    there is not enough of it to heat homes ???

coxy

for got to ask what is the difference between home heating fuel    and off road fuel :-\

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I once asked the guys at the local station what's the difference between diesel and heating oil.  They told me about 75 cents a gallon.  In other words, they put dye in diesel and it's magically heating oil.  At least, that's what the drivers have told me. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Non, where I buy it from. That's what I was getting at. With no road tax,it's always been 20-30 cents cheaper. There is another store about 10 miles from that sells off road. They are usally cheaper,5-6-7 cents per gallon. But sometimes they don't have it. So I have to go out of my way,15 miles maybe, and still go get some at this store.Ae my other job,I use to drive right by there. I would just keep stopping and checking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: beenthere on February 12, 2014, 10:54:20 PM
coxy
An older thread discussing that question.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=50578.0
thanks beenthere   that's interesting that some states you cant run heating oil in your equipment

petefrom bearswamp

gave up on diesel vehicles in the late 80's when diesel got more expensive than gas.
I now have a 150 gal tank for off rd for the mill and tractor and RTV.
I think i paid about 3.60 last summer and only use about 130 -140 gal in a year as I don't saw full time.
Someone once told me that the price differential between off and on rd is due to taxes. this sounds reasonable to me.
We are captive to fuel prices which ain't going down anytime soon.
Linda and i are in Florida now for the next several days.
We last drove here in 2004 and according to Linda's diary , gas averaged 179.9 then.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

We went to the Big City today. I stopped at the other store. $3.91. Not that much of a diffeance.

21incher

Yesterday I noticed that a local station raised Diesel fuel to $ 4.59 a gallon. Is there a end in sight?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SliverPicker

Everything here has gone up 30ยข in the last week.
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!