iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air packs

Started by coxy, February 27, 2018, 07:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

for fire fighting  anyone have lots of experience with them  every time i put one on with or with out air hooked up i end up with a bad  sore throat for a few days  any ideas what to try to not get them or am i going to have to suffer  

chet

First off is this at a fire scene?
If not, then what type of air pack are you using? My guess would be that you are having a reaction to whatever is being used to clean the masks. Another possibility  is the equipment was put away uncleaned and wet and you possibly have a mold problem. It may also be simply the way you are changing the way you are inhaling and exhaling when you don the mask.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Crusarius

I agree with chet. I would really like to know what manufacturer.

I have never had that problem and I have used Scott, MSA, and ISI. 

NWP

I have been using an SCBA for 25 or so years at the FD. I haven't had this happen but I would try cleaning your mask good. Maybe soak it in some water with a little bleach and make sure the regulator is clean. We currently have MSA 4500 psi packs. 
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

james

or, a small %of people ,including me can't breathe compressed air or pure  o2 without throat /lung irritation
james

DDW_OR

Quote from: james on February 27, 2018, 01:33:38 PM
or, a small %of people ,including me can't breathe compressed air or pure  o2 without throat /lung irritation
james
side note: and some react to latex.
"let the machines do the work"

luvmexfood

Have you had the air sampled that is coming out of the compressor to the tank.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

justallan1

How you said, "Every time I put one on...." makes me  think it's not just one unit, so have to believe it's you, not the equipment. I'd definitely agree with the idea of it may be the latex or something else in the packs.
I had a GF years ago that was a nurse and wore latex gloves endlessly without a problem. We went scuba diving and it nearly put her in the hospital.

Magicman

Quote from: coxy on February 27, 2018, 07:09:11 AMevery time i put one on with or with out air hooked up

coxy said "with or without the air hooked up" which indicated that the problem, allergic or otherwise, is in the mask itself.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

i don't know what it is but I'm about done dealing with it and I'm getting to old to crawl around in them tight spots we had a drill last night and they some how put a rope with a hook on it and fastened it to my tank strap :o never felt them do it what a pita to try and get unhooked i finely took my pack off to get it unhooked  8) my back is so sore  :'( its time for the younger guys to step up  :D

Crusarius

Come on Coxy, you know you will miss it when you stop :)

luvmexfood

Several years back we were doing a drill in a simulated smoke house. No smoke but a maze you has to navigate with an airpack on. Kid came out backwards gasping, heaving, coughing and gagging. He didn't know what he was getting into and put in a dip of Skoal just before he donned his SCBA.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

coxy

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!