iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling wedge choices

Started by livemusic, April 29, 2024, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Geeze Pete, they must have some weight to them. How do you carry them around all day?
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Magicman

Don't be concerned about the chain....it will buff out.  ffcheesy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nealm66

Ya, not really sure what the steely's ( what we called them) were made of. I pounded on some and they definitely lift better than anything plastic but nobody wore eye protection and it only took a few chips smacking your bare arms to get the message. They're heavy too. I think that's why they came out with the magnesium's. This was back in the 80's and a crew average of about 35 and only 4 sets of jacks so definitely some wedging and some spooky drives keeping stuff inside the units. I could actually swing a 5# 36 at one time without breaking the handle! It's funny how the different ax head brands made a lot of difference. You could hear the difference and definitely notice how they drove the wedges in.

Nealm66

Can't really wedge the hardwoods off they're lean much around here. Wood is too soft and the wedges will just smoosh in before they start picking them up if you're trying to pick up much weight. Hinge wood is really weak as well. 

Peter Drouin

I don't log for a living I have a sawmill and get logs by the truckload. When I cut on my land, most times I cut the tree so it will swing where I want it. When I need a wedge I just bring it to the tree. I rap duck tape 4 or 6 times on the end I hit and that gets all the steel chips. I know how to run a saw, no buffing. I do cut a wedge from the notched wood so as not to pinch the saw, then put in the steel wedge and give her some. and it is just as easy to put my 12,000 lb winch from a snatch block and pull it over.ffcheesy 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Grandpa

I use K&H wedges. Usually the 10" but always have a few 8" with me for smaller trees. If the wedge is too long for the tree I bore cut the tree and put a wedge in each side behind the hinge. Then tighten up the wedges and cut the trigger wood.

Thank You Sponsors!