iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10% mc

Started by logman 219, April 18, 2020, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman 219

how much of a gamble is it to make cabinets and furniture out of 10% moisture conent oak i have ????

farmfromkansas

Last year I glued up sides for a chest of drawers from wood that was not completely dry.  When I took the panels out of the clamps they were flat.  Went ahead and scraped and sanded them, cut to size, laid them aside till I got the rest of the parts ready, and after about a week I checked them, and there was about 1" in crook in both panels.  They never did come back straight.  Cut them up for smaller parts. My shop dries lumber eventually, as I heat it, and occasionally cool it. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Ianab

What's the average humidity in your house? Here the EMC is about 12-14%, so I'd have to let 10% wood GAIN some moisture for best results. If your house dries down to ~6% in the winter, then you are going to see some movement.

I guess it depends a lot on the construction style too, some are less forgiving about wood movement.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Southside

You would be surprised - and not it a good way - at how much of a difference there is in movement / shrink with 10% oak vs 7%.  I won't make oak flooring at 10% 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Most of the USA has 12-13% EMC outside, which means the wood will dry to 12-13% moisture content.  The average outside relative humidity (RH) for much of the USA outside is 65% RH, although it seems much more humid in the summer, but it is not.

Most homes in the US and Canada run about 30% RH in the winter and 50% RH average in the summertime.  This is 6% EMC to 9% EMC.  Do avoid shrinking issues, 7% MC is a good target.  This is 3% drier than you have now, assuming your meter is correct, and that means 1% shrinkage, which means warp and cracking.

Do you have an attic?  Put the wood up there (if it not too heavy) for a few weeks to get it drier.  If your shop is in the basement, run a dehumidifier at 38% RH.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

logman 219

gene   wood was dry once but picked up mc some were along the way.should i redry it in solar kiln again , or just let it set in shop for awhile???

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Kiln will do better, but shop at lower RH might be ok.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!