iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Needing some info!

Started by Moose80cj7, April 29, 2020, 08:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose80cj7

Thanks for the add first of all. The info that I need is a lot. I had a black walnut die and fall in my front yard maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I got a hair brained idea to make an alaskan chainsaw mill and make a table for my screened porch. Well I got it cut into lumber now and I'm planning to get it planned down closer to size. The boards are anywhere from 2" to 2 7/8" thick and 106" long by 16 1/2 to 18 3/4 wide. So making a table for outdoors do I have to get the mc as far down as making indoor furniture?  I have it stacked and weighed down in my shop. I'm a welder by trade and wood working in totally new to me.  I just thought it would be awesome to make something from scratch. Thanks for any and all info in advance. 

K-Guy

Welcome to the forum!!

If you fill in your information it will help get you better answers as we will know the conditions you work under.

No you only need to dry it to match average the outdoor moisture content in your area commonly 12-15%.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the table will be rain on, then you will have a lot of movement from soaking wet to very dry when the sun is out.  You need special fastening to allow for movement.  You probably should use aa very good water repellant finish to minimize wetting.  The design must accommodate wetting and wood movement. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Moose80cj7

Well I'm planning on it being under a roof but I'm sure it may get wet from time to time. I'm looking into using the 60 to 1 clear coat to cover it when it's complete. I figure that way it will be completely sealed. I just need to make sure that the UV protection will be good enough for being outdoors. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I am not aware of any coating the seals wood perfectly from moisture.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Be sure to finish all sides of the table top.  Same number of coats, same finish.

This will help to keep it flat when the humidity levels change.

Two great exterior finishes are Epifanes and General Finishes 450.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!