iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mold on surface of wood in solar kiln

Started by Quebecnewf, May 18, 2020, 12:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

I am getting some surface mild on the birch that I dry in my solar kiln . 

Not a big issue but it just bugs me .

I am wondering if I dipped the boards in salt water before going into the kiln if this would help . In our area there are time when the kiln is not hot enough to kill the mold for sure . Not much I can do about that here . Lots of foggy damp days .

Would salt water be the answer 

Quebecnewf 

YellowHammer

If you increase the airflow (add fans), and decrease the temperature (open the vents more) the mold will be reduced.  Or reduce the load size to about 1/3rd at present, to reduce the amount of moisture evolved form the wood, and the mold will be significantly reduced or eliminated.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

longtime lurker

ummm common salt is a wood preservative, and if it had long enough soak to get some salt diffused into the wood, or maybe even just a dried layer of salt on the outside.... it should by rights work to keep a whole lot of pests and diseases off the wood until that layer of salt is removed either by dressing or by wetting and diffusing back out.  It's also going to have a fire retardant effect and while I cant remember the details off the top of my head (got it here on file somewhere) there is published data on that and its a well documented historical preservation technique.

Bad news is being salt its going to caused accelerated rusting of mild steel fixings and fastenings, and you'd want to be conscientious in wiping down your planers and other downstream processing equipment with an oily rag after use too.

If I was in your position I'd be giving it a go. If you've noticed a wet spot in your kiln where the mould is regularly worse due airflow variations - and every kiln seems to have one - I'd be doing a mixed batch and putting some that have been swimming right there for starters. 
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Quebecnewf

I guess the only way to know is give it a try and see what happens . My kiln is next to the salt water so it's easy to do . 

I know the old sheds where they salted fish in years ago lasted forever . The salt preserved the wood . They were often needing renailing as the salt rusted the nails of but the wood was fine .

We will see

Quebecnewf 

Don P

Extreme amounts of salt, more than you'll get, will pulp the wood. I worked on an old curing shed one time, my first step inside and the floor collapsed, nails rusted through. Then as I looked around I could roll about 1/4" of fiber off the lower part of the studs with just finger pressure. I brought a couple of the bleached looking boards home and the rodents went nuts on them getting the salt, that part is the reason for my comment, might pay attention to whether it attracts gnawing meeses.

Quebecnewf

I'm not seeing mice or any if that as a problem . Not that amount of salt . My plan would involve dipping each board in the sea then straight into the kiln .

The idea being the water evaporates and leaves the salt on the wood . This would kill and keep away the mold . 

I have sawed drift wood sometimes and while I've not kilned it it seems fine . 

I have on a couple of occasions salvaged from the shoreline pine beams . When you saw them you get a very "pissy" smell caused by the salt in the wood . The wood itself is fine .

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!