iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally finished the 600 meter range

Started by scsmith42, January 07, 2024, 08:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Robert's (@YellowHammer) post about a new, long distance rifle motivated me into completing my 600 meter range here on the farm.  I've had the berm and shooting platform built for a long time, but never got around to finishing the permanent target stand.

I now have seven targets on the range.  Four of them are .50 BMG rated (three yellow ones on the rack and an additional swinger that is not pictured).  The remaining three are good for up to .338 Lapua.

Target supports are 6x6x1/2" angle.  I may rework this to have the plates suspended on fire hose.  Right now they are spring mounted on stainless bolts, but if I hang every other one I'll have more distance from the support angle to the target.

I have some additional targets but they are pretty small for a long distance shoot!  I'll probably add them to the pistol range instead.

Here are some pics.

The first one was taken from the berm during target frame installation.  The red dot in the background represents the location of the existing 600 meter shooting platform.  The building visible in the background on the right (in the tree line on the right side of the pic at the upper corner) is my drying barn, and I'm kicking around the idea of installing a 1000 meter shooting platform near it.  A portion of my sub-grade pistol range is visible about 150' past the truck and shop trailer

The next two pix are of the berm.  It's around 25' - 30' tall and about 30' thick behind the targets.  The new targets aren't visible because the photo predated the target installation.

The finished target stand!

A portable shooting bench made from oak.  Usually it stays at the 100 yard shooting location but we can pick it up and move it with the backhoe forks to other distances.

Robert - once you get that fancy rifle dialed in you're going to have to plan a trip to NC to break it in!  I might have to be my act in gear and build a 1000M shooting station for you to break in.!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Nebraska

That looks really good! I don't have a safe 600 yards just 200. Happy shooting.

Larry

How thick are your plates for the 50 and the 338 Lapua?  Have you put holes in them?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

That is SO COOL!  I can't even see 1,000 yards much less shoot that far but I would love to try!  What rifles would you use to break the range in?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Gearbox

Just a little ballistics for long range and the only one that I remember . My 270 short mag 135 GR . is 3260 FPS crony . 0 at 100 has 239 inches of drop at 1,000 yards . Nice range you have
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

scsmith42

Quote from: Larry on January 07, 2024, 09:28:52 PM
How thick are your plates for the 50 and the 338 Lapua?  Have you put holes in them?

1/2" AR500 for .50BMG.  All others 3/8" AR500.  I bought commercially sourced targets but ended up torching a hole in 2 of them.

I tried using a mag drill and a 16MM carbide tipped rotabroach cutter, but ended up killing the bit about 90% through the first plate.

scsmith42

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 07, 2024, 09:57:30 PM
That is SO COOL!  I can't even see 1,000 yards much less shoot that far but I would love to try!  What rifles would you use to break the range in?

Probably one of the AR's with the 1/2 MOA that I posted in your thread, and also a FN SPR in .308.

Scope's are a little weak on the AR's for 600M though.  One has an ACOG, another a Nightforce NXS (smaller size for predator hunting), and a couple of others have Holosun's (setup for tactical range - not long)

Thank You Sponsors!