iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is the easiest way to cut square ends on odd shaped limbs? now with pics

Started by limbrat, December 16, 2012, 11:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I have pocket screwed a couple of square edged boards together to make a 90. Then mount the limb in the 90 and with a miter gauge, cut square ends on smaller limbs on a table saw. With larger limbs i can make the first cut on the table saw then finish up with a hand saw.
With forks its harder i have mounted them to scraps of plywood and paralled the ends on a table saw you can angle the ends like that too.
I had one the other day that is a 5" limb with three limbs on the other end i added a fourth limb to make a pedestal base. i squared the big end on the table saw with a 90% jig then measured over from the miter slot and marked each limb with a square off the table and edge of the jig and a level to mark around the limb. after much scribbing and sanding i have a good base. 
There has got to be a better way to make square ends with out a square edge.
ben

POSTON WIDEHEAD

L Rat.....I'm trying to get into my head what you're doing. Do you have any pics to show us?

Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: limbrat on December 16, 2012, 11:32:28 AM
There has got to be a better way to make square ends with out a square edge.

If you are cutting roundish ends, use a welder's wrap-a-round to scribe a line around the limb and then cut along the line freehand at the bandsaw.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Magicman

Or use a reciprocating saw.

These Aspen "candles" were not badly out of whack, but were too irregular to satisfactorily use the table or miter saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Not knowing the length of the 'limbs', if they were short enought to chuck into a lathe, you could use a parting tool to cut square ends easily.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

limbrat

I can cut parallel ends on limbs like this by using a jig shaped like a piece of angle iron on the table saw.

cutting parallel ends on limbs like this.

so that i can make stuff like this is so much harder. making the cut is not a problem i can clamp it up and cut it with a handsaw. marking the cut so that the ends are parallel is tough. any ideals?
ben

Jemclimber

Once one end is cut you can flip it upside down and take a drywall square to mark the height of the cut on each of the legs.  That's how I've done bench legs that are too wide to flip and cut on the sawmill.
lt15

Jim_Rogers

If you get a laser level you could "shoot" a line onto each leg. Then move the level around the leg so you can trace the line all the way around the leg so you can then saw it off.

I think the laser levels I have are offset from the bottom of the level like 1" or so. Then you could saw back the ends to that line, or offset the level line again.

One way to get a straight line around something round is to use a piece of banding. Wrap it around the round thing and trace the line.
But it would have to be nearly perpendicular to the round thing. Not on a slope like those legs are.
So I guess the laser level is the best answer I can think of.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pineywoods

That's a piece of cake if you have access to a bandmill or a swingmill. Clamp the table/stool upside down on the mill with the legs sticking up. One slow pass and all the legs are square and the same length. You might need to get a little creative with the clamping...See my post on a cherry chest build for more ideas...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

limbrat

Thank you gentlemen, all excellent ideals.

I have a band mill but have had alot of trouble clamping tall stuff with a narrow base. i guess i could screw it to a scrap of plywood and them clamp that to the bed.

I really like the laser level, one of my son in laws does dry wall i will borrow one from him and give it a try before buying one.

Marking the length in a couple of places with a square then pulling the line around with a level works. But im not very good at it.

Thank you sirs
ben

jueston

laser level was my first thought too, i purchased mine for one specific task that just seemed a lot easier with a laser level, but since then i have found hundreds of uses for it.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Al_Smith

Thank You Sponsors!