iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At it again, when will I learn.

Started by Jeff, May 16, 2004, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I forgot to say. We ended up going with certainteed landmark architetural 30 yr shingles in driftwood.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I hate to be da bearer of bad news, but by yer picture it looks like yer only a quarter done, not half done.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Half done with the first part. Actually I am only about one 6th done!

etat

Boss, ya done good.  Slow down a bit, take care a yer body.  You're usuing muscles you ain't used to using. That's what's wrong. Try not to hurt something. Anybody that ain't used to it, it'll hurt em.   Get in a hot tub of water with some epsom salts and soak the old bones.  Try not to look at how much you like, focus on how much you got done.  Them bundles are heavy, much heavier than 20 year.  BUT, they gonna last a long time. Keep remembering that.  Stand up and streach a lot. Take breaks.  You'll get it.  

Jim, yes we use tarpaper.  And pop chalk lines for the down shingles on the eaves on thirty year shingles.  On three tab shingles we pop a lots of lines, they're harder to keep straight.  Thirty year shingles pretty much align theirselves.  

Twenty year shingles are 12 inches wide.  We hang the tape measure on the edge at the bottom and make a mark at 11, 21, 31, 41 etc. up the roof.  Do the same on the other side.  Connect the lines with a chalkline. This gives you a bottom line that  will allow your hangover, and a line at every 10 inches to keep the shingles straight.  The edges mark at 11, 29, 35.  Mark at top, and bottom on the edge. Connect the lines.  The 11 inch line is for the down shingle, alternate the shingles going up on the 29 and 35 lines.  This gives you the 6 inch offset to keep the keyways straight up the roof.  If you want a line for every course mark at 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, 36 etc.

You don't have to mark all these lines with 30 year.  Only lines on the edges for the down shingles.

You can run 30 year either with a offset back and forth up the roof, or on a 45.  We always run on a 45.  Eigther way will work.  To run on a 45 first shingle full shingle.  Second shingle, cut appx 6 inches off.  Save the piece.  Third shingle, Cut appx 12 inches off, put the longer piece on, then the 12 inch piece, then the 6 inch piece.  Go back to the bottom and start again.  When you get to where a whole shingle reaches the edge, repeat the procedure.  Keep repeating until you get to the top.  As I said, either way will work.

Once again, Boss, work smart, try not to hurt yourself, you'll get it done. Them epsom salts will help some. We dont't want ya crippled up, or to get a permanent back injury.  You're too valuable to us. .

Before you start back, streach a bit and try to loosen them tight muscles up.  It'll help some. We're a rootin fer ya!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

Your coming along well on the project boss, no turning back now. :D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

My big slow down on this is cutting all those durn arcitectural shingles. THe roof with the sky light had a ton of cuts and really slowed me down. The front roof shold not be bad. It looks like I gota dry slot for a while. Got the tarps pulled back and I'm goona try and play Larry the cable guy.

"gitter done"

Ever watch the blue collar comedy tour? Hilarious!

SwampDonkey

diz Comedy Central now? What about the Man Show or MadTv, or Insomniacs? ;) :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Actually the blue collar comedy tour was a concert tape not a comedy central show. We had the video way before it appeared on comedy central.

chet

Keep yur jeans sucked up. We don't wanna see no blue collar moon shoots of ya shootin' shingles.  ;D   :D   :D   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

You aint gotta worry about that. There aint nobody here to take pictures. The crew is busy. (Tammy and ME!)

chet

What happened ta all da hired help ya showed us earlier?

SwampDonkey

Jeff

They werent hired, they only wanted my kid to take off with them is why they helped then.

The weatherman lied! I am afraid of scuffing the shingles up the sun is so hot on them right now so we haved stopped for a break.

Sorry to disapoint ya chet. No butt cracks in this crew

DA CREW

Jeff

Tammy really needed a break!

She wanted to drain the rain water off the pool cover.

chet

Hey Boss, ya tink ya might wanna git a heavier duty scaffold board dar? Dat one looks like it might have a weak spot.  :D

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

SwampDonkey

:-/ Gee Boss:

You'de think your Michigan neighbors would be over helping with the roof, 'stead of poke'n fun. ;) :D

Jeff

Yea, a 12 foot span of pine 2 by 6 aint what I call real stable with me on em. I'd feel a lot safer if it were aspen.

ADfields

Ya trying to find the span limit of dat 2by ???   That looks like a painful way to find it. :D :D :D   Ever think of sistering up. ???
Andy

Jeff

All I cared was getting 5 or 6 rows of shingles on there so I could get on the roof. ;D The scaffold survived and so did I. Dont need it anymore.  I got about 3/4s of it shingled before the rain moved back in, to apparently stay. :-/

SwampDonkey

Yup the SwampDonkey's gonna be workin in showery weather all week. uggg!.  ::) 'Least I'm gonna be workin from home base for next 2 weeks instead of beddin down in the camp'n gear. I don't mind the camp'n, but its lots nicer bath'n from the home shower instead of the dish pan. Sorry for the dreadful thought there, but that's life in da bush.  ;)

Boss:
I'm sure by Friday this week you'll have most your project behind ya for the next 30 years, hopefully. Nice,dry and comfy and the full satisfaction of a job well done. :)

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!