Sponsors:

weight loss contest/support

Started by doc henderson, January 26, 2020, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Down 2 more lbs. 157.8 this morning.... smiley_wavy
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

so testosterone does make you feel good.   a feeling of well being on one end of the spectrum and invincible on the other.  think of teenagers.  not always good.  sex drive...think of teenagers.  both human growth hormone and testosterone are essentially anabolic steroids.  Most doctors only prescribe after a diagnosis of deficiency.  I had given a few doses of HGH in my career.  they are controlled substances under your DEA license.  If you prescribe too much and not for the right reasons, you can loose your license.  Lots of regulation.  think Lance Armstrong.  If you are female and want to be male, testosterone can be prescribed.  Women have T as well, but it is overridden by estrogen.  think crying at movies.  As we age our testosterone goes down.  think of older men crying at movies.  It can be prescribed for post menopausal women for lack of sex drive.  your own body releases HGH releasing substance during sleep.  and you release HGH.  and that helps with other things like T.  remember the two stamp test for HGH axis.  put two postage stamps still attached on the mans private are and see if they are torn in half in the morning.  If the government only knew. ;)  Remember insulin is a counter regulatory hormone to HGH.  so you can effectively raise the effective HGH effect by lowering insulin levels.  can you say "low carb diet".  also HGH releasing substance is secreted in REM sleep.  so if you are diabetic or prediabetic. overweight so higher insulin levels, and sleep apnea and therefor no deep sleep.  the Dr. test for HGH is to give you a shot of insulin to induce hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and check a before and after HGH level.  if it goes up then your system is working ok.  and you would not qualify for HGH therapy.  It would cost about a thousand bucks a month (priced years ago) and no insurance will pay for it.  It is used in kids with growth failure but is also highly regulated so parents who have a kid who will be 5'10" wont try to get it so the kid ends up over 6 feet.  If you look at the speeches of the president and other agencies, most leaders are the tallest people in the room.  there has not been a president under 6 feet (last I knew)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

so Wisconsin, you a training a runners body.  you are burning more calories than you consume, and developing muscles of endurance, not strength.  to build muscle you need to eat muscle.  the meat we eat is broken down to amino acids.  they get reassembled on you body as muscle and other things like dna ect.  you also must provide a signal to the body that you need more muscle (weight lifting).  you then need to make sure that you get enough overall calories or you body will break down your muscle for energy (starvation).  if you remove the nitrogen from an amino acid, you have a sugar.  there is no storage form of amino acids in the body other than to build things like muscle.  sugar is stored as fat.  so low carb and or decreased calorie diets burn the fat.  the nitrogen removed from the AA is a waste product converted to urea and ammonia, put out in the urine as nitrogenous waste.  this is why you need to drink water so high protein does not harm your kidneys. so if you want to bulk up, eat plenty of protein, eat more calories and or stop doing aerobic training.  you are turning all your muscle to sugar since your calorie output out paces you calorie intake.  Saaweeeet!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

the metabolic syndrome is a term for the perfect storm of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, sleep apnea.  you now see why this is a hard to break cycle that makes it nearly impossible to loose weight, until you change the metabolism.  ketones are produced when we burn fat and not sugar, so is an indicator of the metabolic switch.  it happens to be a fun diet with cool strips to push you to follow the diet.  you will have no energy and want to eat all the time, gain weight and not be able to loose.  you will at high risk of heart attack and stroke.  joint issues, depression ect.  proud of everyone.

wisconsitom

Thanks Doc.  So I do strength stuff...and I have made muscle-mass gains....but I feel I've plateaued.  I'm in better shape now than was the case twenty years ago.  Not really complaining!  What I won't do is the anabolic stuff.  I will only drive my body hard so as to produce its own chemicals of this nature.

I pace my protein, and BTW, recent research has seemingly debunked the notion that the proteins found in plant sources like peas and beans is in some way "incomplete".  Evidently, that bit of misinformation has driven many to over-consume animal protein sources.  I'm not ignorant in this subject.  I am certain that my protein intake is more than adequate.  I'm an omnivore that eats relatively little meat.

I do some endurance stuff.  But I focus more on strength and balance.  I seek out my own weak areas and work on those.  For me, it is balance and strength which I tend to think most beneficial for me to work on.  Always aim for the hard stuff.  That's where you'll make gains!

In truth, a bit of this is about vanity.  I def. like the trim, muscular look, and so do others.  If one was solely concerned about longevity, I suspect the endurance stuff is the best.  For me, in this lifetime, what seems to work is to throw lots of stuff at the bod.....and just keep at it.  I don't quit.

Hardest group of exercises for guys like me?  All the lunge stuff.  I look at the ladies in the once-a-week class I participate in and notice that they tend to struggle less with those lunges.  But my upper body is such that i could break their bodies in half with my bare hands...not that i do much of that sort of thing....yet they can do lunges better than me.

I work the legs, core, back, buttocks, shoulders, triceps, biceps, forceps, upper back, lower back....we really don't skip anything.  I will make one general comment that is absolutely true....exercise is the key to doing well in later life.  No doubt about it.  Feel so much better.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

doc henderson

you are correct on many things.  plant protein is great but requires planning and knowledge that you must have to get enough.  Meat is nearly pure protein.  we need only about 3 oz. a day for maintenance.  a chunk the size of a deck of cards.  fish vs chicken vs pork vs beef is all about the same in terms of the amino acids when broken down.  good fats et cetera can be debated.  If you want to bulk the muscle you need more weight and fewer reps.  and if you are getting enough protein, then you may just need more overall calories.  If you are happy and healthy as you are, so be it.  you can try creatine in moderation. just do not get malignant hyperthermia! :D

A-z farmer

Doc very good write up on protein.We have bodybuilders from Albany that are from Albany that come to buy our bison meat .Well one time this group of them came and they were built like brick out houses.They wanted a wagon ride into the bison pasture so these huge muscle guys threw 15 small bales of hay into the wagon to sit on .Before they got the bales all loaded they were exhausted I could not believe it .We unload hundreds a  hour but they were only good for short bursts.

Ed_K

Steak an eges for breakfast, and stop doing stairs with eyes closed. A good friend of mine died doing this. Sorry just had to say this.
Ed K

doc henderson

Ed, I think steak and eggs sounds great.  I do not do stairs for fun anymore.  Wisconsin, sounds like you are meeting your goals.  your body will adjust to the work you do.  as we get older we adjust the work we do to our bodies.   :D

randy d

Doc I find your posts explaining how the body works very interesting thank you .  At this time I am having a tough time getting past 175# going to have to do a better job of watching what I eat. Randy

doc henderson

thanks Randy, are you interested in exercise like walking?  that could get it moving again.  always watch what you eat so you do not poke your eye out with a fork! :D :D :D

Jeff

This was my breakfast. 380 calories. Yea, thats jalapeno in there! And mustard!  Thecegg is cooked with a microwave cooker. The sausage is precooked walmart and the muffin a nooks and crannies. 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

looks like a good breakfast at Jakes,  could you make enough for 75 people ?  :D looks good enough to eat for sure.  musteat_1

wisconsitom

Doc, you are essentially correct in saying I am meeting my goals.  But you know how it is...once you get on this fitness journey, there's no stopping it!  Once one goal is reached, immediately, a new one is set.  And yes, I need more and heavier weights.  That's been a challenge just to assemble the bits needed for fitness workouts.  Heck, I started with nothing more than two pieces of very heavy rebar.  Even those are still heavy enough to weight me down when doing tough workout regimens like lots of lunges with weights, etc.  Then, when I want to do the Russian dead lift or something, I've got just one stepped-up set of dumbells to reach for.  I need more and heavier weights at this point.  That is exactly correct.  In truth, it is hard for one private citizen to have the full compliment of weights, etc. needed for these workouts.  

Last night at my one formal group workout session during the week (I do lots more on my own) the instructor got the bosu balls out.  We were to perform some upper-body lifts while standing on those wobbly things.  The instructor-a woman-and her mom(!) could do this with apparent ease.  I could not get going whatsoever.  Again, to look at me, I would be thought to be much stronger than these two people.  Yet they could perform these tough exercises and I simply could not.  I had to do it on the floor.  So no matter how good you think you may have gotten-and most people that look at me would think I'm definitely ripped-there's always something to work on!  As I said earlier, there is some balance issue.  I need to keep working on this stuff, likely so long as I live.  For me, having good balance is a major life challenge.  And being physically strong has become absolutely essential to feeling decent on a day-to-day basis.  I can't believe I didn't used to work out!  What was I thinking?

doc henderson

it is a balance.  body builders can barely scratch their own noses, and I do not want to know who wipes their bottoms.  yoga is good for balance.  and getting all you core muscles to work together is good.  it is like watching a muscle bound kid on the first day try to carry a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood.  the boss half his size can carry it and walk up a ladder, and talk on his cell phone at the same time.  some of it is learned efficiency.

wisconsitom

I'm going to drop back and let this thread back to its original purpose, but in closing, Doc, I have talked to other men who have noted similar issues, so it's maybe not just me.  I'm lean and muscular, fit as a fiddle, but each one of us still has our own challenges.  I guess for me, I just need to (and plan to) keep working on all of this stuff-full range.  Heck, I have yet to rule out an inner-ear issue, so there's more I can do with regard to balance.

Just kinda wonder sometimes why things don't cross over a bit more.  I do so much for balance, yet when I'm back at that class and have to attempt something that I think should go better, but then it doesn't...and I've been at it for about 3 years now....frustration sets in.  But I isn't a quitter!

Can you guys kneel on a stability ball?  I can't either!  But a previous instructor and many of the then students could.  He could sit on the ball with both legs straight out.  So....for someone who cannot do these things, how do you develop that degree of balance and core strength?  I know visible abdominal muscles are not "core" muscles, but like I said, my gut is ripped.  Why can't my balance be better?  How the heck can anyone kneel...or sit with legs straight out...on a stability ball?  I look strong as an ox...but I sure can't do that!

Stephen1

I just read this thread and I'm joining in. I was up to 195 at Christmas. Could not do up my pants or belt.  I am at 188 now. In the past I was always running around the 175-180 mark. 
I would like to be 165. I have now cut down on my cookies, and am concentrating on lesss carbs on the plate and more vegatables,, and trying to cut down on the sugar, hard when you have a sugar bush though. ;D
I just  read an interesting book called " Younger Next Year" it is a good read.
My mom 92 and her parents lived into thier 90's. My mom is active, chair yoga, walking, dancing still, Her Dad use to carry buckets of water to his gardens instead of a hose. When he was 91 he suffered heat stoke in April on the golf course. His DR reccomended he take an electric cart or play 9 holes. His comment was " if I can't walk 18 holes I quite" 
He would then drive 30 miles to his daughter's house and walk her dogs, 2 miles each, then drive back home for lunch. He ate bacon and eggs every day. 
I always thought longiviety was in my genes, after reading the book I now realise it was the moving and exercise that keeps us alive longer.
Keep Moving

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

randy d

Well how are you all doing getting skinny I hope. I am down to 174# so 3 more # to go and I will have reached my target it feels good to be close now with the warmer weather it should be easier. we have been in the 40's the last few days so will be bringing the saw out of storage soon. Randy

Jeff

This morning I am at 281.9 lbs, down from 307. So, 25lbs so far. It would be helpful if spring would sprung.

EOTE

Quote from: Jeff on February 24, 2020, 09:32:26 AM
This morning I am at 281.9 lbs, down from 307. So, 25lbs so far. It would be helpful if spring would sprung.
That's gotta feel good no matter what the weather!  Good work, keep it up; pretty soon you'll be a chick magnet. :D ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Jeff

Just to be clear, I already am. :D

doc henderson

yes but depending on the polarity, a magnet can either attract or repel! :D  I have been busy and lots going on, so stuck oscillating between 183 and 185, but still down from 190.  just letting Jeff catch up a bit!  :) very impressive.  almost back in the 70s!

randy d

I just had a VA check up last week and all of the blood work came back very good except vid D was a little low other wise I am in great shape.  Might have to stop at Kwik trip and have a triple chocolate bismarck YES Randy

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on February 24, 2020, 09:32:26 AMThis morning I am at 281.9 lbs
That is close to another "decade".  ;)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The 80s are tough man and they seem to go on for ever. When I get to the 70s P A R T Y !

Thank You Sponsors!