iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dewalt 735 planer

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 14, 2020, 07:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I've had my Dewalt 733 planer for 20 years and it's still going strong, but I decided to upgrade to the 735.  I ordered it today and it will be here on Monday.  I bought it with the infeed/outfeed supports and extra set of knives.  I think my plan will be to use these knives until they are dull and then get the helical head from Grizzly.  That should be at least a year.
I can't wait to get it set up and run something thru it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Andries

I've had a 735 for at least fifteen years - it's a good one. . . for a bench top planer.
Some things to consider;
* The helical head is constantly cutting the wood, it has lots of teeth with a bunch biting the wood at any given time. Whereas your three blades have a 'cut and clear' type of action. That translates to more power being needed to power the helix head through the wood.
* Helical heads earned their reputation on big (large diameter cutting heads) cast machines. The 735 helical head upgrade has a small diameter, and can't produce as smooth a finish as the the three carbon steel blades. 
-
A number of woodworkers that I know use a big floor standing, cast machine to machine lumber down to within 1/8th of the finished size, then use the 735 to get a finish that hardly needs sanding. 
Smooth as a baby's butt!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

That's an interesting take on the power issue.  What I have read is that while it is always cutting, it's only a few heads at a time that are cutting, thereby reducing the power need and the amount of noise.  Noise isn't really an issue though.  I wear hearing protection no matter what.  My wife is an audiologist.

I did read about the diameter being smaller.
I wasn't sure what the cut quality was with the helical.  They claim it's perfect, but it stands to reason the knives would be better.

Thanks for the input.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

I've said this before on here.  The most annoying thing about the 735 is the circuit breaker tripping.  With each trip, the amount planed gets shorter between trips until you barely plane 15 or 20 feet of hardwood 5" wide before it trips. It did this with the straight knives and continued after I upgraded to the helical head.  Also you can only remove about 1/32 at a time with this planer or you'll be overloading it.  Planing rough stock down to size for a project all at once, it really can't do.  

I'm on my 3rd circuit breaker I've replaced.  I can't wait to get a real planer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

firefighter ontheside

The good news is that my planer was delivered today.  The bad news is that I'm at work until Wednesday morning.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Andries

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2020, 09:17:58 PM. . . .  The most annoying thing about the 735 is the circuit breaker tripping.  With each trip, the amount planed gets shorter between trips until you barely plane 15 or 20 feet of hardwood 5" wide before it trips. 
I'm on my 3rd circuit breaker I've replaced. . . .
I believe there's an issue with something other than the breaker, @Brad_bb 
What is causing that kind of electrical draw? Knife drum not aligned properly? Drive motor bearings or brushes? 
My 735 gets a workout on burr oak, and the breaker hasn't popped once. 
That just seems strange
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

firefighter ontheside

Well, I put the planer to use today.  It works great.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RichTired

Pictures or it didn't happen... :)
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

firefighter ontheside

Sorry, you're right.  Here ya go.  It's hooked up to my dust collector and I mounted it on casters so I can roll it from my bench to a side table.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RichTired

Very nice!  smiley_clapping
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

azmtnman

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2020, 09:17:58 PM
I've said this before on here.  The most annoying thing about the 735 is the circuit breaker tripping.  With each trip, the amount planed gets shorter between trips until you barely plane 15 or 20 feet of hardwood 5" wide before it trips. It did this with the straight knives and continued after I upgraded to the helical head.  Also you can only remove about 1/32 at a time with this planer or you'll be overloading it.  Planing rough stock down to size for a project all at once, it really can't do.  

I'm on my 3rd circuit breaker I've replaced.  I can't wait to get a real planer.
You could have low voltage. That will cause higher amperage. 
Common causes for voltage drop are wire size and length. The smaller guage wire and the longer the run (service entrance AND cords), the more voltage you will lose. Voltage will drop while machinery is running if wire size is too small.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Andries

Quote from: azmtnman on February 25, 2020, 10:37:05 AM
Quote from: Brad_bb on February 14, 2020, 09:17:58 PM
I've said this before on here.  The most annoying thing about the 735 is the circuit breaker tripping.  With each trip, the amount planed gets shorter between trips until you barely plane 15 or 20 feet of hardwood 5" wide before it trips. It did this with the straight knives and continued after I upgraded to the helical head.  Also you can only remove about 1/32 at a time with this planer or you'll be overloading it.  Planing rough stock down to size for a project all at once, it really can't do.  

I'm on my 3rd circuit breaker I've replaced.  I can't wait to get a real planer.
You could have low voltage. That will cause higher amperage.
Common causes for voltage drop are wire size and length. The smaller guage wire and the longer the run (service entrance AND cords), the more voltage you will lose. Voltage will drop while machinery is running if wire size is too small.
@Brad_bb you catch this post?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Brad_bb

I'll double check when I get home next week, but i'm pretty sure it's on one of the new 20A circuits.  It was doing it when I had it in my other shop too.

opticsguy

I purchased a new 735 planer and have had one big problem.  The rollers will NOT feed the wood through the cutter.  
The rollers are new and clean and even very light cuts will stall the wood requiring I push the wood through by hand and with a push stick.  After several months of frustration the planer sits in the corner, basically unused............................
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

alan gage

Quote from: opticsguy on February 26, 2020, 11:23:19 PM
I purchased a new 735 planer and have had one big problem.  The rollers will NOT feed the wood through the cutter.  
The rollers are new and clean and even very light cuts will stall the wood requiring I push the wood through by hand and with a push stick.  After several months of frustration the planer sits in the corner, basically unused............................
They didn't come wrapped in plastic or something, did they?
Are the rollers adjustable?
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Andries

I'm pretty sure the rollers aren't adjustable - at least they don't look like it on my 735.
There is a roller speed selector switch on the front of the machine.
The planer has to be running when you change that setting.
It either on fast or slow.
It could be that it was moved to an in-between position, resulting in the rollers not engaging - or only partially.
If it isn't that, and since you bought it new . . . send the planer back to DeWalt under warranty.
They're good machines, and do what a small bench top planer is supposed to do.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Brad_bb on February 25, 2020, 07:10:39 PM
I'll double check when I get home next week, but i'm pretty sure it's on one of the new 20A circuits.  It was doing it when I had it in my other shop too.

Brad, I was running my planer in my barn which is about 200 yards away from the source. It kept tripping its breaker, not the one in the house. I moved it into my basement, closer to the breaker pannel and it runs without a hitch.

You might try locating it closer just to see if this helps.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

azmtnman

Voltage Drop Calculator

Here is a wire size/length voltage drop calculator. Put in your true amp draw. If you're on a 20 amp, 120 volt circuit but your machine is only pulling 10 amps (actual, not plate rating) that will change things.
Burnt plugs on cords (any kind of bad connection that causes heat) will also drop voltage.

My little shop I use right now has about 250 ft of 10 guage underground wire on a 15 amp, single pole breaker from my service entrance. (It was existing when I bought the place) I get a noticeable drop when my table saw starts. Obviously, I can only run one thing at a time! :D :D :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

muggs

Any motor over 1 hp should be wired for 220 V. unless the wire is very short.

Brad_bb

@Opticsguy , have you looked up what your nearest service center would be?  If it's reasonable distance, take it there and tell them your problem.  You shouldn't have to pay since it's done it out of the box.  If not near you, call their customer service and explain.  Don't take "its out of warranty" for an answer.  If it hasn't worked properly out of the box, make them make it right.  And let us know if they give you an jazz.

Thank You Sponsors!