iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

camp Alaska

Started by doc henderson, February 23, 2020, 11:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

We had about 200 scouts.  no more anvil shoot, banned by BSA due to accident.  My town is Ketchikan, the first logging town.  had the sawmill, log splitter.  made lump charcoal.  lots talk of carbon cycle, and specific info on ERC and the Kansas state tree Cottonwood.  The event is sponsored by our troop !.  folks from Tulsa, OK came the farthest.  one girl troop.  one Webelo group (still in cub scouts about to "crossover to boy scouts).  had a good time.  also branded lots of ERC sample boards cut on the mill.  It is a bit of work as we set up the army tent and gateway.  warm enough boys slept in troop tents so we took down big tent and gateway last night before rain this am.  Decision by troop members, boy led troop,

good to move the trailers once a year to clean, run the wheels, make repairs.

making lump charcoal in the Mobil oil can retort.  flitches to stand behind during mill operation.  boxes of safety glassed on table.  honey locust cookies to talk pith, sapwood and age of the tree.

branding iron left, dad go juice right.  troop 1 100th anniversary mug center.

did not throw much, but it was there if had time.

fire mitigation surrounding barrel may or may not have been planned.  wind from the south, I have a combo wind and sun burn to my face.  weather was nice about 50°

my rig for first thing in the morning.  ran the motor, added the inverter 1500 watt to the battery at left,  plugged in my Kat heater and placed it on the hydraulic tank.  In the past it could take a long time to warm the fluid and lots of belt screeching.  the oil went from 30 to 80 in about 30 minutes and the machine ran great.  the mill does not run continuously.  we had 15 sessions and the mill is off more than on, so this really helped.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stavebuyer

You set an awful good example for the youngsters Doc. I hope that beyond the woodworking and camp skills 
they pick up a little of the example you set of what it means to be a man and a leader. 

A-z farmer

Doc 
I have been following your camp Alaska outings for the last two years and you all put a lot of effort into the experience for the scouts very nice .
My Bil is a scout leader down near the big apple and he brought a group of scouts to camp at one of our farms for the weekend a few years ago .It was amazing to see the parents rent hotel rooms and to be so scared of the outdoors and it will not happen again and he has been a leader for 50 years go figure.
Zeke

WV Sawmiller

Well done doc. Looks like time and effort very well spent/invested. I am sure these young men(and women) will be better people for attending. Keep up the good work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

You did good. Takes time to set all that stuff up. Good job!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

World needs more of that. Good on you Doc.

firefighter ontheside

Wow, good job Doc.  Nice piece of walnut for axe throwing.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

Doc, in my book, you and Kyle @caveman get the Nobel Prize for your positive impact and example to young people. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

thanks Danny.  had 7 folks from cub scouts in the shop last pm working on Pine Wood Derby cars.  no pics as we are not supposed to post minors on line.  Range of parents from capable dad to mom who is horrified as she does not know what to do.  Firefighter, that is a fresh Elm slab so it looks dark.  I first cut honey locust that was so hard, the tommy hawk would not stick.  elm holds up better as it has the chaotic grain.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

missed a few years.  we went last year but only 4 scouts.  getting stuff together.  we are in charge of branding at out camp.  we always take a target and do some tomahawk and axe throwing.  More stuff is more work.  will set up the old military tent for dinning and card playing in the evening.  No gateway this year. 

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

scrambles eggs and woodstove heat.  with coffee.

some branding.

He did not even hardly cry.  
a bit of wind so we bugged out sat. night as to not further destroy the army tent.  I need sleep.

the poles and stakes are out but for the south side.  had to wrangle the tent to the ground.

thecfarm

Warm and food is important.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!