iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rpm meter

Started by welderskelter, March 02, 2021, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

What do you guys use to set rpms on your mills? My engine isnt set exactly I dont believe.

moodnacreek

A tachometer. There are mechanical and electronic or non contact. With the non contact you paste a strip, to make a line of reflective material on a revolving shaft and point the tach at it and read the rpm. Most mechanical have a rubber point that gets pressed in a center drilling of a shaft. Some have a rubber wheel. No battery to go dead on these.

Magicman

I have a manual tach that I hold to the end of the crankshaft.  I don't have a picture because there is no way that I'm gonna hold it with one hand and take a picture with the other, especially when it is turning 3K rpm.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Erik A

? ? ?

To set the RPM of the engine? Do you want to set the max RPM when the saw is cutting? or are you trying to set the RPM of the saw itself to set the FPM of the blade?

I have a strobe disc for a 60Hz light but it only goes to 1800 RPM. Do a search for strobe disk and if you can find one for the RPM range you are aiming for,  it will give you a good idea of the RPMs!

Just found a good site with strobe info-
The Wood Knack: Shop made strobe tachometer

sawguy21

I have an electronic tach from Stihl, convenient and easy to use but not cheap. Vibratach is inexpensive and reasonably accurate for the occasional user.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Mine is a manual military surplus version of this:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

I have one like in the 1st post, a stick on reflector. 
I was having trouble at idle with the new 38 Kohler. I raised the idle to get rid of the back firing when engaging my hydraulics. 
It worked resonably well. 
I then had my Forklift mechanic come to recertify my forkklift for lifting. He listened to the motor, climbed up and adjusted the idle, said to me now you have the right revs. I haven't had a back fire since he did that. There is nothing like a real mechanic and worth every penny i have ever paid him. He fixed my 93 Propane  bobcat, after working on it outside for 8 hrs in a snowstorm. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Skip

Tiny Tach, also hour meter connects to spark plug .

Larry

Quote from: Skip on March 03, 2021, 08:46:27 AM
Yes, reasonable price, accurate, and easy to hook up.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Skip on March 03, 2021, 08:46:27 AM
or on a fuel injector line if diesel
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Edvantage

I have had this in my toolbox for years and have not used it until recently

to check rpm on woodmizer engine

Gere Flewelling

Edgevantage- Did you figure out how to use your rpm counter you showed a picture of?  I to have one of those that I acquired many years ago.   It has been sitting in my tool box as well.  I believe it was used on fire truck pumps, to confirm the rpm's of the pump when testing.

I have never figured out how to use it.  Mine has no brand name on it, just a patent # stamped on the back.  If you have knowledge of how it is used or where to find that information, would you please share it with me?
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Edvantage

Helps to have someone run a stopwatch. Rotate the dial to zero. Push the end of the gage against the end of the rotating shaft on the word go. I usually go 15 seconds. Count revolutions on gauge and remove after 15 seconds. Markings on gage are rpm s so for 15 seconds multiply rpms by 4. Actually quite accurate. Works best if shaft end has center drill hole in it to pish gage point into.

Edvantage

Mine had a rubber tip over the pointed end which I lost. I used a cap style pencil eraser over the gage tip to press against the shaft to ensure no slipping.

Gere Flewelling

Edvantage- Thank you for the instructions.  I probably would have never figured it out. I can't wait to give it a try.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

donbj

As others have mentioned, the tiny tach is great. I mounted mine right on the engine housing. Real time monitoring and hours.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

barbender

My 38hp Kohler on my firewood processor came equipped with a Tiny Tach. It works good, my only complaint is it is engine mounted instead of the control console on the other side of the machine. I don't know if it is possible to extend the wires.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!