iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Look what I found inside the old apple tree!

Started by Oregon_Rob, February 17, 2003, 04:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Rob

Milled this with my Alaskan III. They came out real nice and flat, and 1-5/8" thick. Will get them stacked and stuck tonight.
Anyone have any luck selling slabs?
 8)

Chainsaw Nerd

Tom

Oh, wow, that's pretty stuff. :)

Look at the sheen on the sapwood.

That would even make some real pretty pocket knife handles.   :P

EZ

I see two coon hounds and Jesus looking up into the Heavens. Wow, what your steps. ;D
EZ

Paul_H

Interesting patterns,looks like a eerie Nativity scene.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

chet

That was the same impression I got with the ghostly looking shapes. I wonder what's in my apple trees;  :-/   naw, Ma would be pithed.   >:(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Rob, I am impressed. :o  Very nice job. 8) 8)  Do not forget to place at least 1" stickers between the layers.  Give them about 60 days and bring them down and I'll put them in the kil for you.  When you put your floor down you might well determine a method of inlaying some of these into the floor pasttern.  That could be very beautiful to see as you were too walk in your front door.  Again, well done. ;D
Frank Pender

Don P

And weight the beejeezus out of the pile, apple likes to move. Sure is pretty wood. Save your scraps and when the coals under the ribeye are doing good throw some small chunks on there. I like to soak mine in a 5 gal bucket so they just smoke and don't lite. Ever notice how any thread can be turned to eatin :D

WV_hillbilly

Those are some awesome looking slabs . I make scroll sawed scenes out of pieces like that  Oregon_rob.  There is even a pic on this site some where of it.  

This one is sassafrass.
Hillbilly

Oregon_Rob

Thanks all!
WV, I would try something like that, if I had even one artistic bone in my body.

Frank,
Thanks for the heads up on the 1" spacing. I will most likely see you in about two months.

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

wooddawg

Hi,
How do you keep the bark on when drying for scrollsaw or  woodburning?
what can I cover thick slabs with to stop cracks?
wax anchor seal or latex for ends what about something for the surface .
what do you use ?just stack and let dry?
thankyou

Frank_Pender

Wooddawg, I have often covered the entire slab with Anchor-Seal and place it in the shade as well as a simple lid of tin on the top.  This slows the drying with the seal nd keeps the elements off with the tin.  If at all possible I like to place the wood in the shade, as well.
Frank Pender

WV_hillbilly

Wooddawg

The farmer I get those slabs from doesn't do anything special to them before I get um. He stickers them like his regular wood in one of his drying sheds . The sheds are just simple lean to affairs .
Hillbilly

wooddawg

if I wanted lets say a four ft 3 inch slab should I rip it six foot incase it splits a foot on each end?if I cut it at an angle through the slab instead of ripping or crosscut does it check less?
can you remove the anchor seal with paint thinner or what if you want to stain it?
air drying with out sealing quicker as far as how soon you could build something with it?is there something I can use to seal it so I can build table anyway and not split?
my sister wants a slab coffee table from me asap(smile) is the reason I ask.
this is cute
 I said Lord i need some help with this stuff running in my head...and--------
I wanted the land to the east of me got the money today tomorrow my neighbor is signing on it at 10 am .last summer electric company replaced  poles its twin poles with stuff in between that ran from the dam and theyleft all the old ones stacked several dozen for sure on this land they are for sure good enough for the pole building they are big.
need shop....nephew builds pole barns and chicken houses for a living and said he can get me the metal with a nice discount
wife wanted me to get the logosol she said she would buy itso I could have a new toy and it didn't matter if i never did anything with it but have fun I got the thought about logosol that i could just build it then.. this evening  brother in law called i mentioned a sawmill (he works for aircraft place)he said he would check tomorrow and that 90 percent of it he can get right from the scrap bins at work for $0 all I would need to buy is the channel he is checking price on it unless i wanted to weld it up from pieces 3 to 5 ft or connect them somehow he said they have tons of scrap and every time they mess something up it goes into scrap dumpsters along with metal turning chip from milling machines etc and two different places come and get it and they let them have it free sounds nuts but i guess that way they don;t have to pay dump fees or something who knows.
going to build a 20 or bigger bandsaw this year have a sears and a little delta think its only 14" may tryto make  both a vertical and a horizontal even if they don't work it will be cheap and fun to build son in law and his brothers had a junk yard wrecker business they closed it and got rid of cars but still have an amazing selection of odd junk i can cull through
I have a 4 plus foot redoak behind house about 150 yards or so to practice slabbing onplus a bunch more trees I  plan on putting afew small ponds back in there for fish bait for main pond actually i need the fill clay and shale to build up for a shop and perhaps garage or pole barn for my junk all i have now is a shed and an old house that was here when we bought the place unlevel floor i use as a shop.neighbor has two big backhoes he is retired and knowing him he would move dirt free.......I know I can borrow one.
things is looking up!

now all i need is some one with a few big huskys or stihls for sale at 5 bucks apiece(smile)
have to build a small fishing dock t shaped for grandkids in the next month or two reckon i will use greenplate have a bunch around.
wife wants a big porch like 10 or 12 buy 32 and another room built on maybe two...plan on using 1 1/8 tongue and groove plywood for floor how much of the rest could I cut myself with a chain mill?my kids nephews and brother or son in laws would help for awhile for fun.how about cedar for posts and railing on posts?I have 8 or 10 cedar logs on a concrete slab from last summer  noticed bark is loose and afew bug tunnels don't think it goes into the red wood of it will saw off a bit and see if they are ok still.but i can get more.
looks like i am writing a book
thanks for your help and ideas

Fla._Deadheader

Now, Don'T take this personal. I mean this in a GOOD sense. (see Jeff, I'm tryin to be good) :D.  
  Sounds like you live in a fairy tale place. Everyone wanting to help, logs laying around. Buying land with barn poles stacked and waiting. Neighbor with free loader and hoe. Wife buying you a sawmill.  Can I come and live with you  :D :D
  Oh, I need to know where you live. Can't go toooo far north. Don'T have long johns.  :D :D :D :D
   Sounds like your fun is just about to start. Good luck.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

Wooddawg-
  One of the ruls of thumb in our area is a year to the inch in drying.  The Seal is the prevent to quick a drying.  It is water soluable and can be easily removed.  If you get in a hurry with wood it does not like you very much, somtimes, and get back at you in all kinds of ways: cracking, checking, splitting in places you never thought, and not drying fast enough.  Patience is one thing I need when working with wood.  I have learned much the hard way.  I just finished kil drying some Maple and English Walnut slabs.  I had let them air dry for at least 6 months before they hit the kil.  I still had some D grae occur, but not near what would of happened had I not let it air dry for some time.
Frank Pender

Jeff

I found this figure in an old nut tree. ;D

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ARKANSAWYER

A man needs to be careful when cutting fruit & nut trees. :o
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

wooddawg

hi,
did get the land,old poles are laying on side of field access road.i don't have a key to that gate yet although I own it. brother inlaw has got me some of the aluminum needs to know about lengths i would like for more..........as far as nephew pole barn builder haven't talked to him about metal I need yet.wife honestly wanted to buy me logosol now she wants me to have fun making something.said to try to keep toy around two grand in price if possible plus any tools needed.
another guy has the frame from a sunroom about 2"x3"they are kind of el shaped but could cut some straight 6foot and 8 foot peices off them plus the curve and a bunch of smaller pieces and its (free if I come get it) its tough stuff made to support large double pane glass if i screw the trim part that held the glass it makes a rectangle.havenn't culled son in laws junk pile haven't started on a mill yetwaiting till i have more pieces
had to cut down a 50+ foot trailer frame (there was a house trailer on this place when we got it )I tore it down and cut the frame into 16 foot I beam pieces hit my hand 3 or 4 times with hammer when chiseling old welds apart on tongue noticed it today.cleaned up garden area out back oldfence  blocks etc  wife wanted it cleared so she could mow in spring.
also cutting all the darn honey locust around pond still have to build dock for grandkids wife wants it now....said once I start on one of my building new toy sprees then I will want to use it then fish hunt and she will we waiting forever for dock porch room hopefully within a week will start making some form of mill
had a friend get me a nick the grinder in okc at hf for 89 bucks the harbor frieght in tulsa wanted 149 for it.
thanks for all info.

WV_hillbilly

"cleaned up garden area out back oldfence  blocks etc  wife wanted it cleared so she could mow in spring"

Are you serious about this part of your story? I can't get my wife to even look at the lawn mower let alone use it.

Maybe you should let your wife open up a school to enlighten some other females that it's okay to help out Around the  outside of the house too. :o
Hillbilly

wooddawg

all ya got to do is get her to mow a few strips lil' spot under a tree for grandkids somthing........then tell her how her upper arms gut legs butt whatever look firmer and that using the mower is doing alot better than arobics walking kickboxing tapes blah blah and she will be mower an acre or more with just a lil push mower..........and she won't touch the riding mower.*smile*

Norm

Now wooddawg you have a great idea there, but unfortunately my wife read this before I could get a chance to try it out. Only I was going to try it on shoveling snow since it seems we won't have any green grass until May here. I've got cabin fever so bad I've almost got myself convinced that just one more layer of long johns and it aint so bad out.

Tagerts_crossing

Hey WoodDawg I love it plan on trying it. 8)
John Schoolcraft

Thank You Sponsors!