iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spruce logs from Nova Scotia Prohibited

Started by bkellyvtme, May 25, 2011, 04:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Just got the word from my full time job that Spruce logs from Nova Scotia are prohibited from coming to the U.S. Seems there is a worry of pests coming in from that area. Just FYI for you guys in NS. I am sure logs rarely go south from Canada.

sawguy21

Our logs go south and your logs come north here on the wet coast, I don't know how they deal with pests. The mills can be quite specialized only taking certain sizes or species.
It tends to be a political hot button with the perception of jobs being exported but without it logging jobs would be lost.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jamie_C

I imagine it is an attempt to slow down the spread of the latest invasive beetle infestation. Currently mills here are importing logs (and pulpwood) and i don't know of many logs leaving our province.

SwampDonkey

Yes, it's been a "voluntary" ban here for some years by forest companies. Wood flows steadily into Maine from NB every day. I also see stud wood coming from Maine, probably to Deersdale. I'm pretty sure it's Deersdale because it's the only mill operating out where I work at. Juniper sawmill is mothballed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!