iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board and Batten conundrum

Started by bigshow, May 27, 2010, 08:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbaynes

my first posting!!   I have a SIPS homewith fiber cement siding (in traditional horizontal lap) Per the manufacturer , I had to screw with 1 3/8 inch screws one foot on center into 3/8 osb to maintain thier warranty.  Installation was slow but I have been very satified with the results and are going on 5 years with no problems whatssoever...
nate

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

I don't have experience with this approach but it seems to me you'll need blocking (another batten) behind the center of each board to keep it from folding when you start driving nails.  16" is pretty standard but I went 12" when nailing my siding to the SIPs.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Radar67

I'm putting up board and batten on my shed. I am using 8 inch boards and 3 inch battens.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

shinnlinger

Big Show,

I don't see how you are saving a step going batten and board vs board and batten.  You are still putting up one of each and I think you will have some issues reversing as Raphael has alluded to.  Just thinking out loud here.  You will have to measure ahead of time and plan out your battens if you reverse and you will have to nail both sides of you board which can split the wood as it shrinks.

I think I gave details earlier in this post, but I ran some furring and did 10 inch boards nailed on one edge about an inch apart and used a 4 inch batten nailed in the center.  the ring shank nails have held fine for over 6 years on my barn and the 4' batten has held up equally well w/out curling.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

mooses

I do more reading on this forum than commenting, because I don't understand alot of the lingo. It may a have been said with out me knowing it but I didn't read anything about board on board siding. Using 1x10 and 1x8. I put it on my barn and it looks great. I think it looks a lot better than board and batt. It takes a little bit longer putting up but you don't have to put on any batts.
When it seems like everything is breaking down, the time is ripe for a real breakthrough. In turmoil there is great opportunity.

Thank You Sponsors!