iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms 261cm

Started by 421Altered, August 27, 2020, 10:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

I have read a lot about the ms261 cm from Stihl, sounds like a great saw.  I'm thinking of buying one and my question is this.  Will it pull a 20 inch bar with 3/8 pitch chain?  Reason I ask is it will hopefully replace my older, really older 032 that uses the same 20 inch bar and 3/8 chain.  Plus I have 8-10 loops of it in excellent condition.  I cut mostly Southern Pine and some times Oak, but never for firewood.

old guy

realzed

I have a 261CM with a 20" bar and .325 chain and it cuts great in hard maple (bucking firewood logs) but I can't speak for the 3/8" variety..  I was told a 3/8" chain wouldn't be a problem by my dealer who apparently has sold some configured that way - but is it a 362 or 462? - NO and it was never intended to have to try to be either..
Like most everything else - different people have varied expectations of how a saw should cut or be used in their own situations.
See if you can get one already set up in the manner you would like yours to be, and give it a shot is all I can say..

sawguy21

I believe your 032 bar won't work with the MS261 as the mount pattern is different, the oil hole won't line up. 3/8 chain will work as long as it is properly sharpened and is not pushed in the cut.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

There's a guy here(The name eludes me) that runs that configuration, and is very happy with it. Personally, I'd consider lopro chain. So far all my saws run 3/8 or 3/8lopro. and I'd like to keep it that way. Been considering a 50cc echo which is .325, but that throws a wrench into my chain setup. After using the stock chain, I think I'd get a 3/8lopro rim and bar for it to keep my chain stock simple. That's assuming I don't end up loving .325. I guess then I'd have to add a third reel of chain  :^D

Tacotodd

For me, I'd try a 16" bar with 3/8 tip and proper 3/8 drive sprocket to see if you like it. I still don't think you will. It'll be iffy at best. I've considered this on my small saw, but I really like my .325 on that unit. BTW, Echo CS550P 54.1CC with 16" bar and it really flies through the wood. If I think my Echo will handle it, then I leave my Husky 372xp in the waiting, and I have the 20" & 28" bar and chain ready to roll, and THOSE are 3/8 chain. 

Good luck with your decision making and testing. Just be sure to let us all know the outcome you have decided upon.
Trying harder everyday.

olcowhand

Quote from: lxskllr on August 28, 2020, 05:10:13 PM
There's a guy here(The name eludes me) that runs that configuration, and is very happy with it. Personally, I'd consider lopro chain. So far all my saws run 3/8 or 3/8lopro. and I'd like to keep it that way. Been considering a 50cc echo which is .325, but that throws a wrench into my chain setup. After using the stock chain, I think I'd get a 3/8lopro rim and bar for it to keep my chain stock simple. That's assuming I don't end up loving .325. I guess then I'd have to add a third reel of chain  :^D
.....That's probably me....
When I bought my MS261C-M a couple of February's ago, I had the B/C and Sprocket converted over to 16"/ 3/8". I did this to keep my sharpening tools and Chain profile common with my other saws. Other, more knowledgeable members here- rightly pointed out that the wider cut would require more load on the saw, and questioned my wisdom (which I never claimed to have, other than the kind that's gained from bad decisions....). I couldn't be happier with the way the saw runs with the 3/8" chain, and would not discourage anybody from doing the same.
Now, as far as running a 20" bar- the net effect of Horsepower loss to just make the chain go around the bar is negligible. 60 Drive links vs. 72- a 20% gain in whatever load is allocated to just driving the chain, not in wood. This increase would be commensurate to any size chain you're running for the same two Bar lengths (so far, I think my "Farmer's Math" is sound, but I'll take correction with a humble spirit...). The real load is applied when the cutters hit the wood. As stated earlier, the diameter and type of wood is a much larger factor than Bar length. I cut all Hardwood (Maple, Ash, Cherry, Beech, Ironwood, some RO), and I use a 20" Light Bar when cutting smaller diameter wood so I don't have to bend over so much. Having said that, I still have no problem putting either bar into a 14"-16" log. Your saw will tell you when you're asking too much, and you can lighten up to keep the RPNs up. Other than that, the chips will fly. I have the 261, a 461, and a 661- and Bar lengths out 32" (all running 3/8" chain). The more critical choice is more the HP you need to run with the wood, and less that of Bar length, IMHO. I hope this helps.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Quote from: olcowhand on August 29, 2020, 08:29:38 AMI had the B/C and Sprocket converted over to 16"/ 3/8". I did this to keep my sharpening tools and Chain profile common with my other saws.
I did the exact same thing on my old 028AV many years ago.  Never a problem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom King

With sharp cutters, and a light hand, chips will fly.  Lean on it, or let it get dull, and it will bog faster.  It won't cut as fast as the same light hand, and smaller sharp cutters, being turned by a tooth larger sprocket, but will still cut wood.

421Altered

Thanks to all that have replied to my post.  Ya'll have given me many things to consider that I had not thought of before.  Much valuable info here!

Thank You Sponsors!