iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

562 kill switch wiring

Started by Sprinter, September 19, 2020, 08:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprinter

As a industrial electrician for 40+ years, I thought I could spot a short circuit. Often you could smell it before you got in the building. Well, I'm still learning.

Lately. I've seen having issues with balky starting & rough running after starting. Needed to keep giving it throttle to keep it running 'til warm. Well, yesterday it wouldn't start period. I had been in there so, I knew who to blame!  >:(

Digging in there again today, I was looking at the kill switch and cleaned it up.
That was when I saw bright spot on the heat shrink where the the kill switch wiring is bundled together before the connectors. Obviously it could be intermittently shorting but not enough to prevent starting & running. This is very low voltage/amperage, so it doesn't take much. All I did was turn the heat shrink to restore the insulation. I'll need to get back in there to make it right.

So, out I went and gave it a pull with choke and it gave a good pop. Next pull, no choke and it started.
Then, back to the shop for bar & chain. Started first pull and idled all the way to the wood pile.
Major relief! After all the bad press the 562 has received, I am still a little touchy, but I love this saw!   8)

sawguy21

Good that you found it. 8) Often the littlest things give us the most grief.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Wood Shed

Sprinter,

Do you have an early model 562 or one of the later updated models.  It is good to hear you are enjoying your 562 as I think they are good saws despite their flaws found in some early models.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Sprinter

Yes it is an early model. 2012 week 8. And yes I am enjoying it, I think it is even getting better. :)
Fred

Thank You Sponsors!