iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New sawblades?

Started by D._Frederick, February 20, 2010, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

After sawing up my sheet of Oak veneer, I have come to the conclusion that I need to replace my da-do blade and plywood cutting blade. They are in the 20 + years old and in the need of sharpenning. I think it would be wise to take the cost of sharpenning and just buy up to date designed blades.

I don't want to spent over $150 for the two, what blades would you pick-out to use? I use them only for hobby sawing on my PM.

CHARLIE

I bought a Freud dado blade set and love it.  Cuts smooth and cuts flat bottoms.

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don_Papenburg

I do not believe that you can get a dado and a good uptodate sawblade for plywood for under one fifty.   Twenty years ago maybe .    Try beating the two hundered mark and you will be happier with what you  find.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

logwalker

I got a set of diamond discs for my dremel and I am sharpening all my carbide saws and router bits. It is so easy to do and the results speak for them selves. I use a headband magnifier and a good light and get good sharp faces without spending much time. Good dado sets are quite expensive. I have three, 8", 12", and 14". The 2 larger sizes I picked up at auction. The 12" was attached to a Dewalt Radial with an extended dado arbor and wide guard with 1.5" wide cutter set for $125. Lots of good stuff at auctions around here. Most shops are going under.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

D._Frederick

The latest ROCKLER catalog has a da-do blade set from Oshlun for under $100.

Has any one had any experience with this Manufacture?

CHARLIE

Nothing is more frustrating that having a dado blade that doesn't make smooth cuts with flat bottoms.  I had gotten a Craftsman dado blade back in the early '80s and just hated it.  It was a waste of good money. I quit using it and went to using a router to cut my dados. Then, a friend of mine bought a Freud dado blade after reading an article about them in Wood Magazine.  He liked it so much that I bought.  I like mine too and it ain't $200.  At Rocklers you have 3 choices. Freud makes good quality saw blades and router bits.   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

chet

I'll second Charlie on this one. For da money it would be pretty hard ta beat da freud. And yes you can git um fur under a couple hundred. Amazon has an 8" super dado fur $199.99. Not much under a couple hundred but it beats it.  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

D._Frederick

Twenty fire yours ago I bought a carbite Da-D0 set for $70, today I bought a set for the same dollars. There is NO comparsion to today design for what they made then. I bought a Oshlun set from Amazon, it makes a planer smooth bottom and a splinter free cut in veneers.

The first thing I did was check the run-out, it was under 0.005 on all blades. I dug out my X10 eye loop and looked the carbites over, the China mfg. did not use as fine a grinding wheel as American made and they are rougher, but they have a good edge.

The only problem I have is the 5/8 diameter hole is 0.001 undersized, it makes the inside blade hard to get off, I have a 5/8 reamer that will correct that.

I will have to build something to store the blades in, any ideas?

dovetails

Quote from: D._Frederick on February 26, 2010, 11:19:55 PM
Twenty fire yours ago I bought a carbite Da-D0 set for $70, today I bought a set for the same dollars. There is NO comparsion to today design for what they made then. I bought a Oshlun set from Amazon, it makes a planer smooth bottom and a splinter free cut in veneers.

The first thing I did was check the run-out, it was under 0.005 on all blades. I dug out my X10 eye loop and looked the carbites over, the China mfg. did not use as fine a grinding wheel as American made and they are rougher, but they have a good edge.

The only problem I have is the 5/8 diameter hole is 0.001 undersized, it makes the inside blade hard to get off, I have a 5/8 reamer that will correct that.

I will have to build something to store the blades in, any ideas?

I keep mine in the original box it came in.Keep them in a cabinet on self,so it don't get moisture to rust them. I have one set I know is over 50 years old,that my dad bought,still in original box,have had to tape the corners though...lol
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Don_Papenburg

Logwalker , I just use the diamond file/hone type plastic framed tool for my carbide router bits and saw blades . It work really fine . I just take my glasses off so I can see and file to a keen edge .  Usually just a couple of swipes and it is done.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!