iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil as a sub to trichlpyr

Started by metalman1, June 19, 2021, 02:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalman1

People,

I heard that instead of trichlpyr/kerosene (or ethanol) one can use a dab of motor oil. Example- strip a section of bark at bottom of s bamboo stem, say, 2" high, and all around exposing cambium. Then brush on some used/old motor oil. Know if this really works like trichlopyr?

Thanks, people. 

mike_belben

Works on everything but sumac.  That stuff is a survivor, always comes back. 

Dirtier the oil the better. Gas atf hyd brake fluid etc. 
Praise The Lord

metalman1

Quote from: mike_belben on June 19, 2021, 02:59:36 PM
Works on everything but sumac.  That stuff is a survivor, always comes back.

Dirtier the oil the better. Gas atf hyd brake fluid etc.
Wow, good to know (and to have it verified). Why would someone pay $$ for trichlopyr??

metalman1

But why Sumac? It is a plant, and plants eventually run out of starch if they do not photosynthesize. Eventually, that sumac gotta die (right?).

mike_belben

No clue.. Im just a man with hammer.   I couldnt kill sumac with waste oil hack n squirt. 
Praise The Lord

metalman1

Quote from: mike_belben on June 19, 2021, 07:14:32 PM
No clue.. Im just a man with hammer.   I couldnt kill sumac with waste oil hack n squirt.
Thanks, Mike. I will try the oil trick on the huge bamboo. They say (like sunac) they are hard to kill. But they cant live forever.  

thecfarm

Sumac!! We had someone cut the fields for about 3 years. They never took the back swath, next to the stone walls and every year they was about 6 feet away from the wall. Bushes came in quick and hard. I bought my Father a riding lawn mower to mow around the fields. Best invention ever he said!!!  ;D  The oak and the maple died within a few years. Dad use to say, We grow them to death. But those sumac took years to die, and I do mean years. They kept coming back and this was mowing them every few weeks too. All the other bushes died.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!