iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new "Hobby"

Started by olcowhand, June 21, 2021, 09:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcowhand

Since I retired, I've been exploring some different creative outlets to occupy my time. I had been (and still do...) following a lady on LinkedIn that has published a few books on Welding Art. One book in particular focusses on making Silverware Critters (Scorpion, Frogs, Dragonflies, etc.). I took off of that idea and began welding silverware into Figurines. I started with a Bowhunter (my best seller...), then began working on more complex pieces.
As an aside, I have doodled (during Conference Calls and other stimulating meetings....) "Stick Man" art through ~40 years of my Engineering career, so transitioning from drawing to "sculpting" was not that tough- but I'll let others decide that.....
I took a bunch of my "Art" to a regionally popular 3-day festival along with some slabs and other stuff; the "Art" was a huge hit! people would be 30'-40' down the lane, glimpse my stuff- and come over with huge smiles to discuss. I have it priced as Art, so not many Big Ticket takers- but I sold enough to convince me that I'm on the right track.
What do you think?

As you can see, I've also found a use for some of the Offal from my Live Edge projects...

.....And a couple that may trigger a memory of something seen before; reply if you think you recognize anything familiar.....

or: 

Some others...

Okay, let me have it!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

The art is great and I think very original, the pictures are terrible.  Get a pro to take your pictures and use them to make a portfolio.  A photo backdrop and getting rid of the flash will do wonders.

I really like your work. 8) 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ljohnsaw

WOW!  Really great stuff.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

jb616

6th pic is "American Gothic"?  Farmer and wife with pitchfork?   Nice work!

olcowhand

You are correct, sir!
Steve

Raider Bill

Is the other one the lighting of the Olympic torch?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Resonator

Love it! smiley_thumbsup

X2 on improve the photos, you'll want to filter the light slightly to keep the harsh reflection down. One nice thing with digital you can take a couple dozen pics from different angles, light, backdrops and just keep the best. Also you can digitally ad a backdrop to help "sell" the story. I would say restaurants would be interested in your work, and the motorcycle one would definitely appeal to riders.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Tom King

Awesome!!!!  

How much for an American Gothic??  I want one.   FF gets a cut, of course.

olcowhand

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 21, 2021, 11:59:24 AM
Is the other one the lighting of the Olympic torch?
Bill,
Nice, but no cigar.....
Steve

mike_belben

The dunk and the choppers came out great!
Praise The Lord

olcowhand

Quote from: mike_belben on June 21, 2021, 02:09:32 PM
The dunk and the choppers came out great!
Thanks, Mike. I never played basketball, but I've always ridden Hard-tails....
I'm still waiting for someone to correctly guess the original subject of the "Dunk" piece. It comes from a Poster called "Hang Time".....
Steve

olcowhand

Quote from: Tom King on June 21, 2021, 01:43:57 PM
Awesome!!!!  

How much for an American Gothic??  I want one.   FF gets a cut, of course.
Thanks, Tom.
Some of these pieces are still available. I'm not listing them here, but you all know that I have no qualms regarding taking care of our Fearless Leader and acknowledging the work he does.
I also can accommodate commissions, if you can draw a stick man of what you're thinking- I'll let you know how I will try to execute.
As for sales, PM me and I'll quote you a price; we'll copy Jeff upon agreement, so he knows the amount. He will get equal to or more than the normal FF commission. My word on that.
Steve 

olcowhand

You all are being very generous with your feedback, and I appreciate it.
Larry, When my new Corporate entity is established, I intend to start a Web site and your advice regarding using a pro Photographer is great... Thanks.
Having said that, I forgot to post a pic of my most intensive piece ("We're getting a band together"):

sprucebunny

Nice  8) 8)

Hi Ho Silver, away  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

farmfromkansas

Looks like you will be hitting a lot of auctions to keep up your supply of material. Cool use of your imagination.  A neighbor built a scrap metal man to hold his mailbox, always admired that.  Your art is better than the scrap metal that was around the art building at Fort Hays Kansas State University, where I went, the industrial arts building was the other wing, we always made fun of those guys.  One of those art guys made a stupid bet that he would cut his hair off, had to get a burr, but left a pony tail.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen1

Great work ,I really like it. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

woodybutcher

NICE WORK! Was there a cowboy riding a bronc in that group? smiley_horserider

olcowhand

Quote from: woodybutcher on July 05, 2021, 09:25:09 PM
NICE WORK! Was there a cowboy riding a bronc in that group? smiley_horserider
Yes, I call that one "Rodeo Athlete(s)"....
Among all the the things I'm an "Old" something or other, "Rodeo Cowboy" is in there somewhere.
Steve

aigheadish

These are incredible! Lots of good pieces, thanks for sharing.

My dad used to make sculptures out of any kind of wire he could find. The most memorable ones were an airplane and motorcycle. These reminded me of that.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

olcowhand

Thanks again, everyone!
My latest (that's a "working" Base; I'll mount the finished piece on a Live Edge Base):

Again, I apologize for the picture "quality"......
Steve

Tacotodd

There is NOTHING to apologize for on that last one, N O T H I N G ! ! !
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!