iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone using the EG4 6oooXp inverters

Started by 21incher, February 08, 2024, 09:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I'm trying to get things together to build a portable solar generator on my old car trailer this summer and trying to decide on inverters. We have many power outages lately and dragging out the generator is a pain plus it burns about a gallon of gas an hour. Decided I will start  building  a portable 12k 240 split phase solar system so I don't need the permits and big increase in homeowners insurance if the equipment is permanently  mounted.  I see many are using the EG4 inverters and they are scalable with the ability to just add more in the future and only about  $1500 each. I watched  some videos but all were sponsored so I don't really  trust  them. Just wondering if anyone  has experience using them? Also looking at( 2) 2.8 kw 48 volt batteries by EG4 that can operate outdoors in colder temperatures. Going  to try and get everything on a trailer with panels that fold in so it's a considered a portable power source that can plug into my generator plug. The generator will be able to replenish the batteries if no sun in 2 hours for a full days power.  At the same time it will let me see how much I can cut my electric bill on sunny days.  I am hoping to be able to generate enough for a small ev with another inverter and more panels someday.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Well tried to order 2 today and they are sold out again. They should be in stock end of March or later so I decided to wait because Signature Solar collects the money when  ordered and I'm not giving them a free loan. Looking  for alternatives at this point but Solar components seem to be in very high demand now for anything that is good.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

scsmith42

You might find this thread interesting from Welding Web.  This guy built an off-grid pole barn and shop.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/711373-Operation-Pole-barn-shop/page31?highlight=batteries

Reply 758 has a video of him running a Lincoln 210MP welder off of his system.  He uses batteries and solar.  The overall system has the capability for an auxiliary generator to automatically start up if the load runs down the reserve capacity of his batteries.

Reply 760 describes his system.  It's a pretty cool setup.  Might be some information there that would interest you.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

21incher

Thanks for the link. That is similar to the system I am planning on but not sure that inverter would fill my needs. I am planning on 2-6k inverters that each would easily run a welder. One for the submersible pump that only draws 20a @ 240 but has an almost 90 amp inrush to start ( inverter has to handle that). First inverter will handle the well and the second will run the 2 fridges, 3 freezers, heat pump water heater ( in eco mode with coils off), and lights. They will share the overall loads completely with built in communications There will be room for a 3rd inverter in the future for a total of 18kw and EV charging. I have to start with just the 2 to keep the total trailer build cost under $15k with batteries and panels. These inverters each have 2- 500 volt inputs for 2 strings of solar panel power and an idle draw of 50 watts along with generator or grid input for fast charging the battery's at up to 30 amps 220. My gas generator puts out 56 amps 240 so it should work for 2 systems in high speed charging or 6 for the slower low watt charging for days without sufficient sun recharges. In theory 2 hours charge will give me almost 2 days run time if we are careful. I will have a full portable power supply for grid problems we are seeing plus lower electric bills. We were told our outages are because of power feeds having to constantly switch to the highest loaded lines using old equipment. As EVs are added to the grid I am guessing it will only overload existing infrastructure causing longer outages. I am also looking forward to the education projects like this provide. 

Gary_C

Have you looked into a Soft Start for your pump to reduce starting current demands? They (Soft Start) are commonly used in RV air conditioners to reduce the inrush current for compressors in AC units.

I have an inverter charger and golf cart type (lead acid) batteries in my camper that is a Xantrex and I see that many newer RV's are using Victron inverter/chargers with the new lithium batteries.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

21incher

Quote from: Gary_C on February 23, 2024, 04:46:11 AMHave you looked into a Soft Start for your pump to reduce starting current demands? They (Soft Start) are commonly used in RV air conditioners to reduce the inrush current for compressors in AC units.

I have an inverter charger and golf cart type (lead acid) batteries in my camper that is a Xantrex and I see that many newer RV's are using Victron inverter/chargers with the new lithium batteries.
I am not sure they will work  with deep well submerged pumps. I just bought a high end clamp meter that has the inrush circuitry for accurate start up draw during the first couple milliseconds to verify the exact numbers I need. Most meters just have a max hold that people confuse for startup inrush. 

I have looked at them but like the stackability and grid interaction of the EG4s. Once I get some accurate measurements I will have a better idea of the best equipment.  Much of that RV style equipment isn't  UL listed for eventual grid tie and requires many extra switches and shunts for monitoring I have found. I have a setup in my pole barn for lighting that is 2 big Renogy AGM batteries and a simple inverter with a charge controller and battery monitor that probably is similar  to yours but only legal because there is no grid feed in there.

Gary_C

I am not sure either. All submersible well pumps that I know of have a remote control box with starting and run capacitors that should do the same thing as these soft start relays do but I suspect the soft start's are better equipped to manage (control) the high inrush starting currents.

For years I lived and worked out of my RV with that off grid system and the weak link was always those lead acid batteries. In the cold here in MN in winter those lead acid's would freeze. Because of the hydrogen produced while charging, the batteries had to be in a ventilated (cold) compartment. I could see ice crystals in the cells even at full charge which is contrary with what the manufactures would claim. I don't know for sure but suspect the battery mfgs are diluting the sulfuric acid with water to save money. At the end of every winter season the lead acid's were at a very low capacity and had to be replaced. In some cases the batteries would fail quickly and were always a probem.

From what I have seen, the Victron inverter/chargers are also offered in a UL listed version at about the same price.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mudfarmer

check out the SunGoldPower split phase inverters and see if they meet your needs

21incher

Quote from: mudfarmer on February 26, 2024, 12:54:04 PMcheck out the SunGoldPower split phase inverters and see if they meet your needs
They cost less but I see the pv input is low and have less desirable to me features from a quick look. So far the Sol-Arc are the closest I can find but seem over priced to me.

21incher

Well still haven't ordered the inverters but am trying to get tools and supplies together.  Got a big surprise looking at the cost of good copper wire and welding  cable. 4/0 welding  wire is almost 10 bucks a foot now  :uhoh:.  All other real copper wire is right up there also. Got a nice hydraulic 12 ton cable crimper that goes up to 4/0 cable to start. I have an old arc welder I was going  to sell but am going to use the 50 ft of welding cable from it for this project after  finding how valuable it is.
20240322_155211.jpg
Also picked up a 1200 watt true sine wave inverter to replace the cheap modified wave one in my barn. I have 2 -100ah agm Renogy batteries out there and this is the max they can handle. Want  to run a wifi access point out there and the cheap inverters with square waves just won't work.  
20240322_155418.jpg
Once the garden is in, I will have time to get started on this project.  I just read they are expecting price cuts on solar components late this year with high interest rates cutting demand for the parts.

peakbagger

Lots of deals on Chinese solar panels on Ebay lately. The world is awash with panels. 

Sod saw

21Incher,   Your proposed project sounds like a nice idea.  My kiln is on a trailer frame so that it can not be considered a "building".   Go for it.

Having said that, can extra solar panels be mounted on your roof but not have them operable because there is no circuitry in your house for them to connect to?  Would they still be un-taxable since they are only decorative?

Will the electric company allow grid tied trailer mounted system or do they require a permanent system?  There are companies where the sound systems at festivals are powered by solar powered trailers and batteries.  No grid electricity at festival site.  

In your first post or two you were talking about the rate of re-charging your trailer battery bank.  You talked about the re-charge time might be only two hours and that battery bank might be available for your use for 2 days if you are careful.

Many batteries will accept a charge (from some sort of generator) very fast and seem to recharge rapidly until the battery nears its full state of charge.  As that battery nears full charge the battery slows it acceptance rate of charge.  The whole recharging system slows down, slower and slower to the point of the battery almost never actually reaching full charge.   

Sometimes folks underestimate how long a"dead" battery takes to fully re-charge.

My question:  Does you estimate of recharge time, using your gas generator, take into account these thoughts?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

21incher

Quote from: Sod saw on March 25, 2024, 08:09:11 PM.

21Incher,  Your proposed project sounds like a nice idea.  My kiln is on a trailer frame so that it can not be considered a "building".  Go for it.

Having said that, can extra solar panels be mounted on your roof but not have them operable because there is no circuitry in your house for them to connect to?  Would they still be un-taxable since they are only decorative?

Will the electric company allow grid tied trailer mounted system or do they require a permanent system?  There are companies where the sound systems at festivals are powered by solar powered trailers and batteries.  No grid electricity at festival site. 

In your first post or two you were talking about the rate of re-charging your trailer battery bank.  You talked about the re-charge time might be only two hours and that battery bank might be available for your use for 2 days if you are careful.

Many batteries will accept a charge (from some sort of generator) very fast and seem to recharge rapidly until the battery nears its full state of charge.  As that battery nears full charge the battery slows it acceptance rate of charge.  The whole recharging system slows down, slower and slower to the point of the battery almost never actually reaching full charge. 

Sometimes folks underestimate how long a"dead" battery takes to fully re-charge.

My question:  Does you estimate of recharge time, using your gas generator, take into account these thoughts?

From what I understand they can be ground mounted without permanent footings. No grid tie with these inverters.  Just really backup and possibly a couple circuits. Really just a project to learn a little about solar and see if it would be worth building a permanent system in our area. The batteries I am looking at are fairly high end with heaters and will accept a fast charge to the top. Charging is controlled by the inverter and advanced BMS system. I think the inverters can handle 8kw solar input  at up to 500 volts also for recharging.  Another thing  I have been thinking about is a small wind generator on it. We always  have wind up here when the sun isn't shining. Falling behind at this point because I just had to send the IRS most of the starter money I had put aside due to poor planning on the self employment tax  zzzz_smiley .  
Hoping to get started once the garden is in. 

NewYankeeSawmill

Curious where this thread goes, don't mind me jumping in!
Looking at the EG4's for grid-tied solar on my home. I REALLY like their outdoor rated battery units, as I don't have room inside the house to store them. Was looking at the 18kV unit however, as I want to run the whole house (2-phase). My local power company does NOT offer pay-back for juice fed into the grid, so really looking at setting up a bare-bones system to get something setup and running, with the plan to add panels/battery capacity down the road.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

NewYankeeSawmill

https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse

Check this guy out, have only watched a few video's, but he dumb's it down enough even I can understand what he's saying!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

21incher

That's the setup I am thinking about going with. The EG 4 batteries have the heaters for charging in cooler temperatures.  Expensive because each inverter needs at least one  for full 6000 watt continuous draw. Before you attach anything to your  home be sure to check it will not get your homeowners insurance policy canceled and what permits are required.  I like that the inverters are stackable and should one go down the rest will still supply power. I am thinking pretty soon they will offer a little  higher kw output version in the same price range.  I am hoping to see the batteries drop into the $3500.00 each price range if demand  remains low. One big blackout could change that though. I have watched some of Will's videos and he has turned them into a multi million dollar business.  Very smart young  fellow that has helped the solar powered components manufacturers find weak links and update their products to better  quality and more reliable versions. 

21incher

Well got my first  big Lithium battery to play with.  Converted my wife's golf cart to Lithium.  The lead acid batteries in it only lasted 4 1/2 years and cost over a grand. New lead acid  batteries would have  been over $1400 with tax and only one year guarantee.  Got the Lithium with a 5 year warranty for almost the same cost. The cart lost 250 pounds of batteries and is really snappy now.  Supposed to have a 80 mile range  now because Lithium can draw down  80% where lead acid  batteries get damaged after 50%. Complete Bluetooth monitoring of everything.  Pretty amazing and should  save about $7 a month electric by not keeping that club car charger always running. Adding  solar panels and a 48 volt controller next to keep it charged without plugging in.
20240411_131958.jpg20240411_132018.jpg20240411_132034.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!