iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment issues 1210 timberjack i

Started by WyoLogger, September 21, 2017, 11:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoLogger

I am having control glitches with my 1995 1210 timberjack forwarder.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these machines. The controls work good sometimes then they stop or the crane slows down. If anyone has any ideas on what's wrong they would be greatly appreciated.
And if it's possible to put different controls in it?

mike_belben

I know absolutely nothing about them specifically, but lets start with the basics to narrow things down.

Does the machine utilize an electric servo control system to actuate the individual valve spools?  Or are they a hydraulic pilot control system?   Basically wires or hoses coming into the cab levers?

Does the cab have any rotation through a turntable and swivel/rotary manifold?
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Good pics will answer these questions if you dont know what i mean.
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

You may need an electrical wizard for that machine:D. That system has the IPS boxes for the controls, not bad but can be trying. The joysticks operate on a 0-5 volt signal to the boxes which turns it to more for the solenoid valves to operate. There are led lights for the functions when used, if you lose everything it may be the seat switch malfunctioning. I think you need to make sure if it's an electrical problem and not a hydraulic problem too.

coxy

I know nothing about your trouble    but welcome to the FF  :)

mike_belben

Quote from: bushmechanic on September 22, 2017, 02:50:07 PM
You may need an electrical wizard for that machine:D. That system has the IPS boxes for the controls, not bad but can be trying. The joysticks operate on a 0-5 volt signal to the boxes which turns it to more for the solenoid valves to operate. There are led lights for the functions when used, if you lose everything it may be the seat switch malfunctioning. I think you need to make sure if it's an electrical problem and not a hydraulic problem too.

Yeah, take a 95 TJ forwarder off my bucketlist.  Oof.
Praise The Lord

barbender

It could maybe be one of your solenoids sticking. Do all crane functions slow and stop? What's your location, btw?
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Is that a load sensing hyd system?   Will it work full speed if you hold an extra function open?   Like extend in or grapple closed?

WyoLogger

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2017, 09:38:20 PM
It could maybe be one of your solenoids sticking. Do all crane functions slow and stop? What's your location, btw?

At times all the functions can be funny. But mainly its the jib that slows down or stops. the main boom does it from time to time but if I turn the seat around and back again it usually starts working. And Im located in western wyoming.

WyoLogger

Quote from: 1270d on September 22, 2017, 10:02:14 PM
Is that a load sensing hyd system?   Will it work full speed if you hold an extra function open?   Like extend in or grapple closed?

It might actually have a load sensing system because some times to get the jib boom to speed up a little when its having its problems I extend the boom out and it will go up faster for a second.

barbender

If everything stops dead, the first thing I would check is the seat sensor. I have zero experience with anything but newer Ponsse forwarders, I haven't worked on any TJ machines. On Ponsses, if the seat sensor fails, it shuts the crane down completely. It can be intermittent. It's basically an on off switch(proximity sensor), if it is failing it can shut the crane down, even say, in the middle of swinging a grapple of wood over to the pile. That gets interesting. However, I don't think there is any way that sensor could fail where it would slow functions down. It either works or it doesn't. There are a myriad of possibilities that could be causing the symptoms you describe. You'll be needing a voltmeter and hydraulic pressure guages to start troubleshooting. Tell us a bit about your operation? I spend a fair amount (as much as I can😊) out in WY, in the Bighorns. I have family in Buffalo and Sheridan, actually headed out next Friday for a cow elk hunt. I was eyeballing some timber up at Burgess Junction last fall when I was hunting, thinking "what fine cut to length wood"😊
Too many irons in the fire

sshier

You can go into the computer and see the readings of voltage your joysticks are sending to the computer 0-5 volts. I had this problem a couple years ago it was with the swing function but basicly Same symptom.
The guy running it said it would slow down and then stop it ended up just being chaffed wires running down the arm rest. I coated them with liquid tape and away he went. 

Riwaka

What make of hydraulic controls, pumps, valve banks etc are used on the machine?

WyoLogger

Quote from: barbender on September 23, 2017, 01:05:05 AM
If everything stops dead, the first thing I would check is the seat sensor. I have zero experience with anything but newer Ponsse forwarders, I haven't worked on any TJ machines. On Ponsses, if the seat sensor fails, it shuts the crane down completely. It can be intermittent. It's basically an on off switch(proximity sensor), if it is failing it can shut the crane down, even say, in the middle of swinging a grapple of wood over to the pile. That gets interesting. However, I don't think there is any way that sensor could fail where it would slow functions down. It either works or it doesn't. There are a myriad of possibilities that could be causing the symptoms you describe. You'll be needing a voltmeter and hydraulic pressure guages to start troubleshooting. Tell us a bit about your operation? I spend a fair amount (as much as I can😊) out in WY, in the Bighorns. I have family in Buffalo and Sheridan, actually headed out next Friday for a cow elk hunt. I was eyeballing some timber up at Burgess Junction last fall when I was hunting, thinking "what fine cut to length wood"😊

Thanks for all the replies.
We are a father son operation. We have the equipment to long log. We got the 1210 and a 1270 to do short logs cause we have the opportunity to sell a lot of house logs. We also have a hood slasher for bucking logs. Basically  we have more equipment then we really need : ).  We do a bit of everything with the wood. Firewood,rough cut lumber, pellets etc.

WyoLogger

I'll let you know what we find out as we go through it.

U.P mich

I had a 95 1210 timberjack for 5 years .  The problem your having is most definitely the seat sensor. I replaced 2 in 5 years because of the same problems your describing.

bushmechanic

Yes U.P.mich I was just going to say he answered his own question when he said to get it working he spun the seat around. Although it may be the wires running to the seat chaffed out in the cable rubbing on the floor.

GWDUBOIS

I have a 95 1210 B TJ Forwarder and just had to fix the seat sensor this past week. The machine wouldn't drive or operate the crane while the seat was facing back towards the crane.  I finally traced it to one bad wire between the sensor and the control panel on the back of the seat; once I replaced the wire it worked fine.

Gavilan

Hello. I had the same problem with my 1210 forwarder. it end it up being the 7 point connector that goes up to the joystick.

Gator2288

Quote from: WyoLogger on September 23, 2017, 09:10:56 PM
I'll let you know what we find out as we go through it.
So was your specific problem the seat sensor or another issue? I'm having the exact same issues. Except moving my seat doesn't make a difference.

Thank You Sponsors!