iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

500i cost..

Started by realzed, November 11, 2020, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

Thanks for the explanation, ehp.  Makes sense to me as a business owner.

Question.....speaking for my own ignorance, what exactly is done to call it "ported"?  I'm not about to try it myself, but am curious.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

ehp

porting is changing the place that the port opens and closes when the piston goes up and down in the stroke , or you changed the amount of air/fuel/ext charge that goes thru the port so by making the port wider so by doing that you increased the port area , setting the squish which is the clearance between the piston and the combustion chamber of the cylinder , opening the muffler opening up so the motor breath better and runs cooler , there is lots of other things like flywheel timing and carb size and stuff

woodworker9

ehp

Thanks for the explanation.

ZeroJunk

Not to get to far in the weeds, but you know the manufacturer's engineers no exactly what the port modification guys are doing and they could build them that way to start with if they wanted .
Why don't they.

Ianab

Quote from: ZeroJunk on November 19, 2020, 03:19:36 PM
Not to get to far in the weeds, but you know the manufacturer's engineers no exactly what the port modification guys are doing and they could build them that way to start with if they wanted .
Why don't they.
They have to meet noise and emissions rules. If you don't care about those things then you can do things differently. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ehp

because most saw companies are around 60% of what the saw can handle power wise before the newer saws designs came , now they are building lots of saws closer to what the saw can handle but its not power wise its fuel, Most saws now are going to fuel systems you can not adjust the fuel amount much so that hurts on how much porting you can do to the saw

Happysawer

ehp

My buddy that fixes jet planes bought a new 500i today out west $1499 plus tax and thats with a full wrap handle , 32 inch light weight bar and 3 chains so thats a pretty good deal and thats in canadian junk dollars

ZeroJunk

I ran my MS660 today with a 34 inch bar cutting some big butts off as close to the ground as I could. Now, my shoulders hurt, my wrist hurts, my forearms hurt. Getting old. That 500I is sounding better and better.

ehp

go look at the 462 as well, its a good light saw to

ehp

So my buddy that's out west called last night and told me I'm getting a 500i . He bought another one yesterday and being it home with him just before Christmas so I should have one to run by then . We will see what all the hype is about this saw . I got a brand new 462 arctic sitting here that I will test against it once both saw have 10 to 15 tanks of fuel threw them

snobdds

I saw one in my saw shop last week with a list price of 1299.

It is so tempting, but I don't make my money with a saw.  I'm just a guy that clears and thins trees on a mountain property.  I have 4 saws already, so don't need it.  I just like the concept of EFI.  

woodworker9

I just bought a 362 CM last week, but I've already decided that the 500i is my next purchase.

I've seen enough guys on YouTube talk about it highly to know it's a great saw.  Knowing that it's almost a couple pounds lighter than my 461 is enough.  I love the 461, but that sucker gets heavy by the end of a long day cutting.

ehp

Buddy landed today from out west , the 2 -500i have been at his place for about a week so I'm guess I should have a 500i sometime this week 

ehp

one in the truck, we will see how it works . I hope I do not put a tree over on top of this thing lol . Its light and rpms fast 

Happysawer

ehp

So far so good . Have not put a tree over it but the days not done yet lol . I get the same number of trees per tank as the 462. 

ehp

day number 2 in the books so what do I think, My muffler is a bright blue/purple colour in 3 tanks so way faster than a 462 on turning colour. You have to make this saw cut to get anything good power wise out of it , If you just put a brandnew chain on it out of the box your leaving lots on the table , You have to make the sound of the saw howl, If your not using the power it stays pretty rich . Once I cut a week or 2 with it I will time it against a good stock 462 . No question the 500i has more torque . Both Pete and myself donot really like the off switch , I prefer the 462 shut off over this setup, not as easy to turn off with gloves on your hands . We will have to see on the mounts , it does seem kind of soft in them , you can really tell when your cutting with the back of the bar on the stump when falling . 

Woodfarmer

So will you Port the 462 and send it my way Ed?

ehp

lots of guys say they are gaining lots by porting a 462 but honestly yes there is room to gain on that saw but its not alot like other saws cause the port timing is very close to what you want in a ported motor so your kind of left with raising the compression and advancing the flywheel and muffler mod , you have to be care full lowering the cylinder cause the bottom of the ext. port will become open with the piston at TDC , The piston skirt will end up above the bottom of the port, thats not a good thing . Now you can make a 462 pretty fast by using different parts from different saws and yes I have built a few for myself doing so  now if you keep the Mtronic it will be your problem if you built to hot of a motor cause it cannot provide enough fuel but if you keep all stock engine parts the Mtronic works very well . I am surprised at how strong the 500 was right off the start , Im not seeing much of  big gain like I seen with the 462 as it breaks in . I'm wondering when the 500i arctic is going to come out . 

so il logger

Ed, I was really starting to wonder if this 500i was gonna wake up like guys had told me. It took a fair amount of run time and then from 1 tank to the next it was like a switch flipped. Maybe it is programmed to do so after so much run time?

Slightly opening the muffler and an 8 pin helps allot too 

ehp

My 500i is ok, I think Pete's is abit lazy but I think he is not making the saw grunt like I am, My muffler is a bright blue/purple colour real fast as his is still almost like the colour when new . I blocked alot of firewood today with it for a friend so Im getting run time on it 

woodworker9

My wife surprised me with an early Christmas present today.  I'm cutting big honey locust all week, and I think she felt sorry for me, since I was just mentioning that I wished I had one more saw in my arsenal.  Asked me to check out a noise in her trunk tonight, like something was wrong with her car.  She played it up perfectly, too.  I popped the rear door/hatch, and there sat my new 500i.  It'll be in the truck tomorrow, and the 461 and 362 get some help.  I won't have to stop to file so often now. 16° this morning, and the logs are frozen.  She got me a 28" light bar with it.  Probably gonna get a 25" for it, too.  That's what I have on the 461.

I'm pretty excited.  I was going to buy it in the spring, anyways.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

woodworker9

Thank You Sponsors!