iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

500i cost..

Started by realzed, November 11, 2020, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I put 25 inch on mine. Pete put 28 inch on his . I like mine with the 25 inch . It feels about right and saw has enough torque to run that setup well. I tried a 20 inch setup on it and to be honest that setup does not work for the saw . Your not using the power the saw has . My compression has come up abit now but thats about it . My muffler is a very bright blue colour now 

woodworker9

I ran the 500i this morning.  Very nice saw.  I can tell it's a bit more powerful than my 461 (which I love) but with that Light bar....what a difference in weight.  It feels as comfortable as my 362.  I think I'm going to invest in a Light bar for the 461.  I love that saw, but it's heavy.

I was bucking and noodling big honey locust all morning, walking the half-rounds up a ramp with my log dolly.  Frozen logs.  Fastest saw I've ever owned.  It's a keeper, and I'm guessing it'll just get better.  

I think a 25" bar would be perfect for this saw, but I'm keeping that 28"er for the bigger stuff.  The saw handled that bar with ease, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not spoiled by ever having run any of the really big saws, 661's or bigger.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

ehp

My stihl dealer said he heard rumors that the 500i that was ordered almost a couple years ago is to becoming to him so we will see . I like this one i got so might as well have 2 of them lol. 

ehp

dealer was right , it showed up at 3 this afternoon , saw is home here now and at a very good price  8)

Dave12

I was at my local dealer in Strathroy, Ontario this morning.  He's had some in but they are sold.  He's only getting them in on pre-order.  Selling them for $1600 with a 20" bar.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

Happysawer

Dave12

Quote from: Happysawer on December 19, 2020, 01:06:06 PM
Quote from: Dave12 on December 19, 2020, 11:05:00 AM
I was at my local dealer in Strathroy, Ontario this morning.  He's had some in but they are sold.  He's only getting them in on pre-order.  Selling them for $1600 with a 20" bar.
I can go down to my local Stihl dealer today and buy the 500i on shelf for $1390 US with a Stihl 36 inch Bar and Chain.
It's the photo on far right bottom shelf.

That's equal to $1776 Canadian with the current exchange rate.  So not much different given the 36" bar.  It might even be a little cheaper in Canada if one with a 20" bar is $1600.  I don't know how much more a 36" would be.  I'm sure ehp didn't pay that much for his.  His local guy treats him right.

ehp

The saw from out west was $1499  canadian  coin and with 25 inch light weight bar . Yesterday saw was dealer cost cause I had to wait so long

woodworker9

Bought this week, paid $1359, including a 28" "Light" bar.  Not bad from what I'm reading.  That's a $160 (or so) bar.  I also got a Stihl orange "Woodsman" case for it thrown in.  My dealer takes care of me, because he knows I'm loyal.  Every piece of Stihl equipment I buy, from concrete saws to hedge trimmers and string trimmers, plus chainsaws, I buy from him.  

ehp

I was surprised at how much mark up was on the 500i , the dealers are making pretty good money on these saws but still its quite alot of money just for a chainsaw

ehp

another thing , if you want a 25 inch light weight stihl bar in eastern Canada  hope your dealer has them cause Stihl Canada is out . 100 of the 20 inch light weight bars just showed up but thats nothing when you add up the number of dealers in this part of the country 

ehp

So been running the 500i steady falling with it , I have read and seen videos of guys complaining about how dirty the air filter gets , I have not cleaned my filter yet and been cutting lots of walnut which is very dirty kind of wood , pine, maple, beech and hemlock , Its no where as bad as I was thinking it was going to be and fuel mileage is fine to me 

woodworker9

Agreed.  I'm running mine a lot, too, every day.  My 461 has to be cleaned several times a day.  My 500i filter stays surprisingly clean.  Barely any sawdust in the outside.  A small fraction of the 461.  I've gotten to the point where I don't feel I have to check it constantly, like with the 461.

chep

I got to put a couple tanks through a buddy's 500. 24 inch bar was a delight. He. Has a bark buster exhaust on it so I assume that opens it up a bit? But it ripped. Great power for the weight. 
I love my 461s. But I want a 500 soon. Seemed worth the $

Dave12

Quote from: ehp on December 20, 2020, 02:00:41 PM
another thing , if you want a 25 inch light weight stihl bar in eastern Canada  hope your dealer has them cause Stihl Canada is out . 100 of the 20 inch light weight bars just showed up but thats nothing when you add up the number of dealers in this part of the country
Tadgell's in Strathroy, Ontario has some 25" light bars if anyone is actively looking and can't find one.

dnash

We've been getting bars and chains from Hyde Park Equipment, no disruptions so far but that isn't to say it ain't coming.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

ehp

I picked up 10 bars tonight from my guy, Stihl is starting to get stuff in again . The guy that owns Hyde Park is real good friends with my father in law , Phil did the motor for that guys Vette , I have bought saws off him before 

Andyshine77

Quote from: ehp on January 06, 2021, 06:13:09 PM
So been running the 500i steady falling with it , I have read and seen videos of guys complaining about how dirty the air filter gets , I have not cleaned my filter yet and been cutting lots of walnut which is very dirty kind of wood , pine, maple, beech and hemlock , Its no where as bad as I was thinking it was going to be and fuel mileage is fine to me
I didn't notice the 500i sucking down more fuel than normal, like some have said. The filter isn't great, but not bad, the dust from the dead Ash I've been cutting packs the filter pretty quick, that's about the worst conditions I'll ever cut in though.
Andre.

Woodfarmer

My dealer was able to get two and I'm picking mine up tomorrow morning😃😃

ehp

they will run out again if this lock down happens in the rest of the world 

Tacotodd

Just get it while you can. Not much advice, but it's probably the most spot on.
Trying harder everyday.

Stihlpotlicker

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 09, 2021, 11:55:04 PM
Quote from: ehp on January 06, 2021, 06:13:09 PM
I didn't notice the 500i sucking down more fuel than normal, like some have said. The filter isn't great, but not bad, the dust from the dead Ash I've been cutting packs the filter pretty quick, that's about the worst conditions I'll ever cut in though.
when they tested them over in Europe, the told the guys NOT to clean the filter and they ran it for months like that.

ehp

So far so good, I did cut a fair amount of walnut which is dirty dusty wood and filter is fine . I did notice on the cold days when topping trees cause I snap the throttle cutting limbs I would get abit rich and get a small bang in the muffler from unburnt fuel, Im going to play abit with the first one and see if I can get it to run like I want 

ehp

had some guys here that wanted my older 461 arctics pretty bad so sold 5 of them and bought new 462 arctics , they went up a $100 from a year ago 

sawguy21

I was in the local Stihl shop today and picked up a 500i with the light bar. I am flat out amazed at the weight and balance for an 80cc saw! Can't wait to try it but can't justify buying one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!