iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt or Suspenders

Started by Patrick NC, May 17, 2020, 08:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Just curious if anyone wears suspenders when they are working.  I started wearing them about 2 years ago and find it much more comfortable than wearing a belt.  Part of that might have something to do with not being quite the same shape as I was 25 years ago. 🤔 I find that a belt just doesn't do the job anymore.  

Any other opinions?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

thecfarm

I wear them when I am working outside. I clip my chaps onto the suspenders too. Keeps me from pulling the chaps up. 
I wear them at the hardware store too. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I shunned suspenders for may years in favor of a belt, but when I did the renovation to my body about 4 years ago, I put in a bay window way too big to use a belt anymore.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SawyerTed

One or the other but not both! :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Patrick NC

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Magicman

Are yours the correct color??  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

When working I actually do use both, helps with gear hung from my waist and I find it balances things out better. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Suspenders since back trouble almost 40 years ago. Got a lot of laughs back then. 
You can wear heavy pants or thin cool ones with loose waist [like bib overalls]. Much cooler in summer.

Old Greenhorn

Yes. :D ;D

Usually just a belt, but depending on how my pants fit (snug, loose, or baggy) and what work I am doing, I choose one or the other. Suspenders mostly for the weight of the stuff on the pants, my felling belt is heavy and tends to pull everything down, so suspenders on my pants help. I may add suspenders to the belt for the same reason. Always braces on my chainsaw pants (not suspenders).
 MM, these are the right color, but perhaps the wrong church?

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2020, 09:51:26 AM
When working I actually do use both.
A real safety conscious individual!   ;D   :D
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

LeeB

I use suspenders on my tool belt. 98% of the time I wear bibs so I suppose you could say in a manner of speaking I wear suspenders then too. With jeans I wear a belt but rarely wear them anymore, only when I 'dress up'.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

samandothers

Old Greenhorn, Happy Birthday!  You and my daughter share the day.   Though you do have her by 30 years!  ;D

Do y'all find suspenders causing wear, scratching of leather or vinyl seats/chairs?  That has been my primary hesitation.  

trapper

both  I wear the perry suspenders that hook to the belt.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: samandothers on May 17, 2020, 01:39:35 PM
Old Greenhorn, Happy Birthday!  You and my daughter share the day.   Though you do have her by 30 years!  

Do y'all find suspenders causing wear, scratching of leather or vinyl seats/chairs?  That has been my primary hesitation.  
If I am wearing suspenders or braces I am working and sure don't sit down much. :D I too have those that hook onto the belt. Nice for taking on and off as the requirements change. Got those from deluth trading post

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

lxskllr

Belt. I never got on with suspenders, and don't really like my pants attached to my shoulders, so no overalls or anything aside from necessary cold weather protection, which hasn't been necessary in many years now.

Happy birthday OG and Sam's daughter!

Sedgehammer

If just one, there's no comparison. Suspenders all day, every day. Much, much, much more comfortable. Belt pinches too when bending and can lead to irritation. With belt works good when carrying tools, but can be left looser. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

thecfarm

I am outside working with my suspenders, not in the house. But yes, I bet those clips could do a job on a leather chair, or even a wood one too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

When working with tools attached to my belt (Building or Logging), both. Also, when hunting- I typically wear insulated pants (heavy) and stuff attached to my belt... Both.
Otherwise, it's always a belt.
As an aside, in my other life (Automotive Engineering..)- "Belts and Suspenders" is a Design Validation term (slang?) that means we assume the design can accommodate all potential contingencies. Just a note to highlight that other disciplines "metaphorically" acknowledge that both are usually not a necessity, but always a preferred option when the situation calls for it....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

Quote from: GAB on May 17, 2020, 01:21:41 PM
Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2020, 09:51:26 AM
When working I actually do use both.
A real safety conscious individual!   ;D   :D
GAB
If I was then the L4 and L5 fractures would not have happened, necessating the use of both.  :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

51cub

Suspenders or overalls. No clip suspenders here, buttons only
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Ron Scott

Usually wear both with work clothes and tools carried on belt.
~Ron

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Ron Scott on May 17, 2020, 08:55:44 PM
Usually wear both with work clothes and tools carried on belt.

Me too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

Pretty much have to depend on a loose belt and suspenders.  Since my waste has more girth than my hips.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

lazyflee

Good timing for this post. I'm a belt guy, but my covid 19lb gain has got me thinking, and my belt a little tight. I wear bibs (overalls) when I ski and I love them. Gonna order up some suspenders and give it a go.

Raider Bill

I wear braces, (suspenders with buttons) to keep my britches up and a loose belt to hold the multitool.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Cedarman

Ever since I came down with Dunlop disease, I have been wearing suspenders when working.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 18, 2020, 09:19:43 AM
I wear braces, (suspenders with buttons) to keep my britches up and a loose belt to hold the multitool.
Same here.
Bailey's "Wild Ass" jeans can be ordered with buttons, and wearing a belt too keeps the suspenders from digging into anything.

The brand that I like the most is S-penders from loggersuspenders.
com.  Great quality product.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DFILER2

I wear the Perry style also, they clip to the belt, I couldn't find clip on suspenders that wouldn't come loose. Having that strap come flying up in front of me was too un-nerving. 

Raider Bill

I've been partial to Prison Blues Jeans. Also have buttons and are a bit cheaper than the rest and every bit as good a quality.
"made on the inside for life on the outside" by the Oregon State prison.
I like the Y braces.

farmfromkansas

I wear the perry style, they are sold at walmart.  Wife used to work there.  Clip on always come loose, used to use the clip style on my work belt with bag.  Always coming loose.  Hate the way my shoulders feel after a tough day of work, but my belly got too big for my belt, and my hips seem to have shrunk.  This getting old is not for sissies.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

tree-farmer

Suspenders for the last 5 or 6 years. Wife says it makes me look like a old man, I ask her, "what's your point"?
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I traded my belt in for suspenders following my umbilical hernia surgery 1½ years ago, but went right back to the belt after about a month or so!

Couldn't cope with the pulling on the shoulders and so many times the snaps would unclip!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 31, 2020, 05:19:37 AM
A review on suspenders. ;)
Well, there you have it then! Nice simple review. I wish they put buttons on more pants. I had to buy rivet buttons and put them on my chainsaw pants. The mfg provided little loops which I imagine were to use with clip ons or hook type. Not a huge fan of those in heavy work conditions, as Mr. White observed. I have been whacked int eh face by a flying clip a time or two and it is not pleasant.  :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 31, 2020, 08:13:32 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 31, 2020, 05:19:37 AM
A review on suspenders. ;)
Well, there you have it then! Nice simple review. I wish they put buttons on more pants. I had to buy rivet buttons and put them on my chainsaw pants. The mfg provided little loops which I imagine were to use with clip ons or hook type. Not a huge fan of those in heavy work conditions, as Mr. White observed. I have been whacked int eh face by a flying clip a time or two and it is not pleasant.  :D
I believe those are called bachelor buttons.
I bought a bag of 50 few years ago.

Dan_Shade

Any comments on bachelor buttons scratching furniture? 

I've joined the "suspenders while working" club and am not a fan of the clip style. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Old Greenhorn

Here's another fun old thread brought back to life. I generally don't sit in nice furniture when I have work pants on and I only have button on work pants. I guess I never thought about it much. I have altered my habit and often now wear both. The belt I need for folding knife, tape measure and cell phone. But the braces do a better job of holding up my pants. I too do not like the clip jobs, they always seem to come off. But the Woodmiser ones I have seem to be doing better than most with the clips. Lately I mostly like the braces that don't have much elastic hve have buckles, rather than sliders so they hold where they are set. The ones with the elastic and sliders on them seem to need resetting during the day. I find that annoying.

barbender

I wear both, I need the belt to mount my Leatherman, flashlight, and tape measure.
The suspenders are Holdup Suspender Company, the clip has a pin and they don't let go. 

I also like this for tape measures, it hangs on your belt and the tape clips to it. When I clip the tape to my pocket, it is constantly getting knocked off as I am in and out of the skid steer, or crawling on the ground fixing something. They still get bumped off on occasion, but not nearly as often- and I feel it, so I can pick the tape up. 

Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Thank you bb for the Holdup Suspender tip.  I ordered the "trucker" style in denim.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

I haven't seen those type clips before now, might consider them. But as I said, I just have too much bad history with clips. Not to say that I don't still use them because I have more than a few sets, but what I do now is I set the clip over the belt and pants and they seem to bite and hold better. I don't have buttons on everything, so the clips still get used. I'll have to take a look at those, but I am not sure about adding another set of clips with all the 'pants hangers' I already have. :D

Brad_bb

As you get fat, you become thicker on top than below, so a belt will never work unless it digs in and is uncomfortable.  Even then the pants will usually work down.  

I've worn braces for more than 10 years now.  Suspenders with the metal clips come off all the time, though I've never tried the ones barbender posted with the spike.  Braces use bachelor buttons on your pants.  I wear Tactical BDU pants from Propper.com.  They are loose enough for a big guy and comfortable with two big leg pockets for gloves or tape measure.  When I get them I use some ripstop fabric and fold to get 2 layers in 1.25" square and sew them with strong zig zag stiching where the bachelor buttons will go.  I pierce a hole with an awl and install Bailey's Wild Ass Bachelor Buttons. They're better than all the others I have tried-stronger. I use Y-back Better S-Penders.  My mom made fun of me the most for a number of years, but the comfort is worth it and your pants not falling down is far more important.  Occasionally you'll get a bachelor button break but they are pretty easy to put a new one on using the red holder tool.  I found this pic on ebay, but I don't see that tool in results like I used to.  Very hard to find.  You use it to hold and align the button with the pin and hit it with a hammer to press them together.  Without it, very difficult to align them and hit them.

The Better S-penders leather is very stiff at first.  I use leather conditioner and after the first 5 wearings or so they get softer.  Washing in the machine might help too.  You want them strong so they won't ever let go, but you need them pliable enough that you don't have issues putting them on on and off pants to wash.  I don't generally wear pants in warm weather, just too hot for me.  But cool weather here in indiana is 7-8 months of the year.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

barbender

I'd tried several different clip on style, some were guaranteed not to come loose but they all did. Usually when I was bent over in the middle of lifting something, and to add insult to injury the loose strap would usually slingshot over my shoulder and the metal clip hit me I  the back of the head!😡😂 I found those Hold Ups, and the only time I've had those let loose is if I snag the clip on something and actually open it. That has happened only 2 or 3 times. 

I'm 1/4 Native, one of the traits that was passed on to me in that is what is referred to "indian a$$", which is another way of saying you don't have one😬 At all. One of my friends used to say, it couldn't even be called a butt, so he called it the "top of my legs"😂 So yeah, as I get bigger up top, coupled with the lack of anything for my pants and belt to hang on to, my suspenders get a good workout😊

B.C.C. Lapp

I wear dickies canvass work pants pretty much every day all the time.   For me dressed up is a newer clean pair with no patches or stains. :D   I put bachelor  buttons on all of them and wear suspenders.   They hold up he weight of wedge pouches and logging tape much better than a belt.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Peter Drouin

barbender, I know just what you mean. When I take off my suspenders off, my pants fall to the floor without undoing the belt. :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

Both for me as well.
The belt and suspenders are from Duluth trading.
W/O the suspenders it is embarrassing 

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GRANITEstateMP

I just ordered a Contractor set of the Holdup brand that barbender is fond of.  If they work as good for me as they do for him, I'll be happy.  The belt I use is an UncleMikes, it's beefed up with a piece of metal/tin down the middle and helps keep the belt rigid when carrying concealed.  Even when not carrying, it helps stiffen the belt.  I don't think the tab will penetrate that belt, so I'll have to aim real good to get the pants!  If this one works, I may try a pair of there plastic grabber style also.

I used a standard pair of suspenders whenever I am doing over the wall dutys in racing. More than once after stepping over pit wall, I've felt a clasp let go and just hope I can get the car fueled up without mooning my own team!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Resonator

Depends. (Old Bob Dole joke). :D 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Granite, maybe you can get the race team to foot the bill for the Holdups? It's in their best interest, after all?😂

Years back, I worked with an old trucker, a veteran of the Dalton Highway up in Alaska. He was an owner/operator of a dump truck when I worked with him on the paving crew. Anyhow, this skinny ol' trucker always seemed to have about 4" of butt crack hanging out (hence the nickname, "B.C."). There would be a bunch of guys in a pile of asphalt shoveling away and I'd see some grimaces, and guys looking to the side. I'd be wondering what the problem was, then unfortunately my gaze would come to B.C. with his back turned, nearly his whole hind end exposed for the world to see😬 We'd give him a hard time, but he'd just laugh and laugh, "heh heh heh!", the ol trucker laugh😂

Well, all of our harassment must've finally gotten to him, because one spring he showed up with a custom safety vest. He took his new vest for the year, and had his wife sew the tail off of his old vest on the back of it. So it had a nice long tail that hung about halfway to the back of his knees. That saved all of us from having to view the B.C., and he said he was still able to get a nice cooling breeze back there😂

With all of that said, I don't know why we didn't just buy him some suspenders😊

B.C. passed on about 7 years ago. He was a good friend, and a real character. I miss him all the time, they don't make em like ol B.C. anymore. He was a good man.

SawyerTed

Then there's the old joke about taking Azzatal pills.

They must work because I have no azz at all.  

Badumdum
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

My Great Grandmother was Cherokee so I also have a case of da goneass.  My Holdups have shipped but no delivery date yet.

Walnut Beast

Sweat pants! Don't knock it till you try it. Personally I absolutely can't stand wearing jeans or any kind of work pants. When it gets cold I just put on long John's underneath. If I had to choose I would go suspenders. And on a suit suspenders with the buttons sewn in on the inside. 

trapper

On the subject of pants falling down I have that problem also and can not wear 2 piece long underwear.  I wear the ones that look like bib overalls from sportsman guide. Mostly wear a merino wool sweater under them.  Got a bunch at target at spring clearance over the years.  When I get something  I realy like I try to get a lifetime supply.  Had too many things I liked and then they stoped making or selling them. 

Guide Gear Men's Heavyweight Fleece Base Layer Union Suit
Item # WX2-701990

4.2out of 5 star rating(66reviews)
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

I know I am an odd duck, because I am always trying to find something that is just outside of what the manufacturer makes. One example- I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 gram Thinsulate, composite toe Gore-tex work boots. I've had them for I think 7 years now and would love to update them, but they're no longer made. I can't find any boot made now that has the same specs, the Rocky Ranger is the only one that comes close (but only 600 gram Thinsulate).So Trapper, I hear you on picking up a lifetime supply when you get something you like!

When my wife and I first got married, she was really (too) thin. When one of my uncles first met her, he said she had been taking that diet pill No Asitol😂 She would say that after 5 kids and nearly 25 years, she has "grown" out of that problem😊

I would never knock sweatpants, and they are for sure comfy, WB. But I'd still need to wear a belt for all of my "kit"n and that would look silly😁

Magic, if that is from Native blood it's not goneass, it never showed up in the first place😁 

hedgerow

I haven't had work pants on since I retired from my town job over five years ago. For me it bibs around the farm. Wife makes me put jeans on to go to town. Belt only. If she's not around I go to town with my bibs on. I need to get some of those union suit under wear. I dislike long under wear that won't stay up. I have pretty good luck with Duluth trading long under wear. 

Magicman

Another Cherokee native trait is a sorta sunken upper chest which my Mom had and Sister has.

47sawdust

Never long underwear here. I prefer to double layer with Frogg Togg rain pants or non-insulated coveralls.Keeps my everyday pants clean and I can leave the mess in the mudroom.
I did buy a pair of insulated bibs to wear over my everyday pants but they are so heavy I don't think think I'm man enough to wear them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

barbender

That's interesting, Magic. I don't know if the trait comes from the native heritage, but I, my Dad, and some cousins have what we call a "pigeon chest". My ribs are kind of concave shaped and come to a point in my sternum, which sticks out a bit. When I was a skinny guy it was very noticeable, it has a little more meat hiding it these days😊

I wear insulated bibs a lot in the MN winter, it's the only way you'll stay warm. I can't wear the coverall type though. I have too long of a torso, and they make me feel hunched up all day.

Patrick NC

I've tried a couple different things in the past couple of years since I started this thread.  My weight fluctuates about 10 or 15 pounds winter to summer so I've found that Roundhouse Bib overalls work best in winter for me. Summer time it's lightweight Wrangler ripstop cargo pants with clip on suspenders. My wife sews some extra material to the inside waistband where the clips go and that seems to help them hold pretty good.

petefrom bearswamp

Always clip on here.
Sure they come loose once in a while, but not real often.
My complaint is finding a pair that dont lose their elasticity over time.
Wife bought me a pair of WM suspenders but they must have been made for someone about half again as tall as shaq.
The adjuster clips are halfway down my back.
I used to make fun of my hunting pal who wore both belt and suspenders, but now know why.
Suspenders to hold the pants up, the belt for knife, cartridge holder leatherman tool and anything else you want on it.
I do have a pair of Craftsman with solid straps, but they are harder to put over my shoulders, a concern as my flexibility has diminished greatly since hitting 70-10.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

trapper

Pete try putting the suspenders over your shoulders before you button your pants and before you tighten your belt.

Magicman

My Trucker style HoldUp suspenders came today.  I let my belt off two holes and I will see how this works.  LINK

I chose the trucker style because there are only two clips, one on each side.  No reaching around, reaching back, nor over my shoulders.  I only have to release the two side clips to "drop my drawers".   :o

samandothers

Seems like they would also help solve the issue of the clips scratching the seats of vehicles, or sawmills with the clips on the sides and not the back. 

Brad_bb

Since they have spikes in the clips, I would think you'd need to make sure the waistline of the pants are strong enough to prevent it wearing through or tearing.  I had to reinforce my BDU pants for bachelor buttons.  An extra 2 layers of ripstop fabric with tight zigzag sewing around the perimeter and and X across the reinforcement.  I'd make the hole for the button shank right below the center of the X.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dakota

Just clip them to the top of your side belt loops.  That's plenty strong.
Dave Rinker

Magicman

Spike or no spike, these clips are not coming loose.  :o

There will never be enough movement for the spike to damage anything.

GRANITEstateMP

Quick review on the barbender recommended Holdup suspenders.  I've been wearing the for just over a week so far, and ZERO unclasps!  Very impressed.  I was in and out of the utility truck yesterday cleaning and cutting blow downs near the road from last weeks storm.  Even with chaps pulling at my pants the suspenders stayed put!  I am counting this as a win
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Magicman

Yup, I am just over two weeks with mine with zero issues.  I was able to loosen my belt two holes and am letting the suspenders do their job. 

Still the amazing and totally unexpected bonus has been relieving my hip pain:  Hip Pain LINK

Walnut Beast

RPF2509

Suspenders for me when working.  Hold up sweat soaked pants nicely, needles , leaves and twigs pass through and don't collect at the belt line.  Buttons only as the clips tear up the pants.  I ripped the crotch on several pairs of sagging pants before I switched to suspenders. A belt buckle can get uncomfortable when sitting for awhile.  Don't know how those cowboys can stand the dinner plate sized ones.  I will wear a belt around town or for casual work.

RPF2509

I tried those Duluth side suspenders and they kind of worked except that one of the clips broke.  My repair is less than sucessful but I still wear them to keep my rainpants up.  I've also tried batchlor buttons and they never seem to work as well as factory installed.  I've had several pop loose at the wrong time.  Have worn Baileys 'Wild Ass' pants for years now.  Factory buttons and double front if needed.  Never have had a failure. A thin belt can fit below the buttons when suspenders are not needed.

RPF2509

Overalls have their place but I find they get too hot.

trapper

batchlor buttons dont come apart if you use a drop of gorilla glue in the socket

RPF2509

Good tip on the Gorilla glue.  I might have to find my b-button stash and try it out on my pair of Carhartts with no buttons

Dan_Shade

I ordered a set of trucker suspenders from the holdup company. Takes a bit of getting used to, but the clips are awesome. 

So far so good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

RetiredTech

MM,
  Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a pair to try out. All of my regular suspenders suffer from the same problem. When I get busy they pop off.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

Magicman

Glad to see that you found it Wes.  These will never pop off.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

moodnacreek

I miss Labonville suspenders, the best i ever had. Carhart cannot really make good ones. The cheap ones [clip] from tractor supply last me a long time however.

barbender

I'm thinking the Holdup company should become a Forum sponsor😁

Magicman

I certainly would endorse them.  In addition to Wes, yesterday I had my customer to take a picture of the back logo so that he could order a pair. 

Thanks to you bb, they are my regular wear. 

barbender

They work great👍 I will say I finally found a situation  where they will let me down. I have two pairs of pants that have a really thin fabric. The waistband is so thin that the clamps don't cam over correctly, so they will pop open on occasion. Otherwise, on my regular pants they never let go.

Magicman

You ain't supposed to wear them with pajamas !!!   :D

RetiredTech

Mine should be here tomorrow. If our new UPS driver decides to come out this way. 

doc henderson

This reminds me of when Bob Dole was running for president, and he was asked, "boxers or briefs" and he replied "Depends"! :D :D :D 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RetiredTech

Mine came in around noon today. I put them on immediately just to try them out. So far so good. Not only did they not pop off, they also stayed put on my shoulders. Tomorrow I've got a few trees down to convert to firewood. We'll see how they hold up to the task.

RetiredTech

Just wanted to report back. I've worn the Hold-Ups every day that I've been able to work outside. I've really put them through the wringer the last few weeks. Very comfortable. Not one single failure. The buckles don't turn loose and the straps stay on my shoulders. You can't ask for more than that. I may have to buy a Sunday "Go to meeting" pair too.

Thank You Sponsors!